Saturday, January 16, 2010

Unexpected listen

I cleared out the area by my instrument amps today so that I could do some sound practice today. I took out my Fender American Deluxe 5 string bass. I tuned it up and plugged in to my Ampeg SVT-CL amp. This thing is so loud I had to turn it down to 2. I also had to turn down the bass on both the guitar and the amp to get the sound that I was looking for. I am trying to get some tweeks down for the Nostalgia 90 song. I am having a lot of fun with this track.

Dead Can Dance - Serpent's Egg
Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
Dead Can Dance - Memento: The Very Best of Dead Can Dance

All 3 of these albums were listened to today one after the other. It is always a surprise to listen to what my father-in-law is excited about. They are an ambient rock band from Australia. To be honest I was not that impressed with the music but I was also preoccupied helping my sister-in-law with her iTunes. It was interesting and there were a couple tracks that stood out from the others. Those tracks were on the very best of album but they were on the end of the disc. I couldn't recommend this band to anyone unless they were into art rock or progressive rock. To me they lie on the edges of these genres. I think that track 10 (Yulunga) and 11 (Song of the Sibyl) from the very best of album stood out the most on all 3 albums.

SNL

I did watch Saturday Night Live also tonight. I saw The Ting Tings play their two songs. The first was That's Not My Name and the second was Shut Up And Let Me Go. I was very excited that it was just the two of them. They are a two person band. The reason that I was so excited was that they did not use session players to fill out their sound. They just used their pre-created track for the original recording with the exception of the drums and vocals. The vocals were performed by the both of them, the drummer on backup vocals and the lead singer. The drummer also did a fantastic job with his drums. The songs were not sparce but they were very good.

Signing off

1 comment:

  1. I watched the Ting Tings, too. I thought they were very creative. But I thought their second song was too much like their first. I understand the appeal of having a two person band.

    ReplyDelete