Thursday, January 14, 2010

More info on Yes - 90125 in my life

More on the Yes – 90125 album.

The reason that I bought this album is that over thanks giving I was at my aunt’s house. I started going through her record collection. To be honest there was nothing that I was interested in. I then started going through her 45 singles. She has hundreds of them. Out of all of them the only thing that really brought memories was the single for Owner Of A Lonely Heart from the aforementioned Yes album. I totally remember watching the video that went with the song on MTV. Like I already said, I love that song. The video that goes with the song is so cool and weird at the same time. Well, a month or so after visiting with the family I looked up the album on Amazon. Low and behold Amazon had a repressing of the whole album for a reasonable price, for vinyl anyway. So I ordered it along with The XX and Fleet Foxes.

I have already talked about The XX so I won’t go there again for a while. Well I take that back. I realized that the vinyl copy that I bought has a bonus track on it that did not come with the down load file, realizing that I copied the track today but have not cut out the track for iTunes yet, maybe later (I did get that track into iTunes, not much effort at all).

Any way, on with the Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes, I was not really interested in the band for a long time. This is mainly because there was so much hype around the album for such a long time. It is also because I have a live concert of them from MPR where the lead singer has an awful cold and the sound was just awful because of it. There are 2 songs that I really love from them though. The 2 songs are, Mykonos and White Winter Hymnal. They are absolutely beautiful songs. I got my father-in-law the record and, before it was wrapped I inspected the album and found that it came with the preceding EP and a digital download for both the EP and the LP. I sort of got jealous. I looked up the album on Amazon and found that I could get the same combo pack for half the price that I just paid for it. How can you turn that down, I can’t anyway?

I listened to / recorded A few albums today.

I listened to Creedence Clearwater Revival - Creedence Gold. I also own More Creedence Gold. I owned the latter first. My mother gave me her collection a while ago and More Creedence gold was in that stack of records. When I found the first of the set I couldn’t put it down. I had to have the matching set, if you will.

I listened to David Bowie – Pinups. This is, to my knowledge, a cover album that Bowie did. All the songs are rearranged so that they don’t sound familiar. I am a Bowie fan but am not familiar with this album. While I was listening to the album I could kind of sense something familiar about each track but I could not put my finger on what the song originally sounded like. In that respect I think Bowie did a fantastic job of rearranging each song to be just his.

I also listened to Billy Joel – The Nylon Curtain. I am a big fan of Joel’s work up to Storm Front. There are only a couple of good tracks on this album but he has such a great list of songs in his repertoire that I really don’t mind that there are some stinkers on this album. Allen Town and Goodnight Saigon are truly good enough to sit through the whole album IMO.

On my way into work to day I listened to The Eagles of Death Metal – Heart On. It is not the greatest album but it is fun. This is an effort from Josh Momme of Queens of the Stone Age fame and Jesse Hughes. The vinyl for this album cam with a 45 single that is clear red. I thought this was cute and catered to the vinyl fans.

This was my day in music.

Signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment