Thursday, January 21, 2010

Episode 10

Radiohead - Kid A

This album is my favorite album from the band. It is their fourth album released. Most people will say that this was a electronic record. In reality it is an album that used some electronic instruments but still incorporated the usual suspects, i.e. drums, guitar, bass guitar. There is heavy use of ambient sound and electromechanical keyboards (Rhodes or Wurlitzer). It is a very moody album for sure. Some people do not have the ability to listen to this album because of the high pitch sounds that are used in the back grounds of many of the songs. This album means so much to me as it was released during a critical time in my life. It was a very dark time of my life and this album was the log floating in the river that I clung to with every ounce of my being. There was never an official single put out for this album but some would say that Ideoteque would be the closest thing to a single. There was a video that was released on the web for the song. If you were interested you could probably find it on YouTube. I can’t really put my finger on a favorite track because it all just runs together so smoothly. Just as a side note, there are 2 different versions of Morning Bell. This fast version found on Kid A and a slower version found on Amnesiac. I will talk about the latter on a later episode. I own all of the regular releases on CD, Deluxe edition and vinyl. I can talk more on that later though.

Weezer - Rattitude

This is Weezer's latest album released in 2009. I was not a huge fan of the previous album, Weezer (The Red Album). I don't really have a reason for this other than there was a general high pitch squee in most of the tracks. This album on the other hand was very funny lyrically to me. It is also quite experimental for the band. They explore electronic sounds, rapping and some Indian sounds too. The album itself is not super exciting. The first track is exciting though, this is also the first single from the album. It is very Buddy Hollyesque. Buddy Holly is one of the singles from their first album Weezer (The Blue Album). The rest of the album takes it down a notch. The stand out tracks for me are the track 1 (If your wondering if I want you to) I want you to, track 3 The Girl Got Hot, track 4 Can't stop Partying and track 9 In The Mall. I like these tracks mainly because of the word play not the music. The music on this album is good but not great. It is still a lot of fun either way. One last note on this album, I downloaded the album instead of purchasing the CD. I got the album from Amazon and received a bonus track not found on the regular CD release. That bonus track is nothing to write home about and is the reason that it was left of the regular CD release of this album. On the other hand it is nice to get free stuff too.

Ben Folds - Supersunnyspeedgraphic: The LP

To me Ben Folds and his previous band Ben Folds 5 are taking a page from Billy Joel and Elton John. This album is basically a culmination of his 3 internet only EPs plus a couple extra tracks. This is some of his most up beat music ever created. The funniest point in this album is the down tempo cover of Bitches Ain’t Shit. This was originally a rap single performed by Dr. Dre. There are a few covers and a few really great gems here. My stand out tracks are track 4 There’s Always Someone Cooler Than you, track 8 Rent A Cop and track 11 Dog.

Spoon - Transference

I listened to a Podcast from All Songs Considered where the interviewer/host of the show talked with 2 of the 4 members of the group and there was a few tracks played from the album. From what I have heard, and I have heard the whole album at least once through. it is very fun but not as polished as the last album (Ga, Ga, Ga, Ga, Ga). There are some really cool sounds used in the album. Apparently half of the album is just demos that were prettied up a bit. This is a very different approach to me.

Since my birthday is coming up I though that I would mention a few albums that are either coming out or have been already released, actually there are 4 of them. I really want to get the new Vampire Weekend – Contra, Spoon – Transference on vinyl and OK Go – Of The Blue Color Of The Sky and Hot Chip – One Life Stand on CD. I just saw that the Vampire Weekend LP is now 12.99. WooHoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment