Friday, January 15, 2010

Not to interested in listening at home today

I did not really listen to any music at home. Instead I listened to music at work today. I listened to a couple of podcasts first but they were not music related.

One was a podcast of my favorite church, Substance Church. The pod cast was about fasting. The church has started a 21 day fast. It was not expecting it so I will probably not take part in it for the whole 21 days and I am not sure what I will fast. Music was the first thing that popped in my mind but I can’t really stop listening to the world around me. So I will need to think about it.

The other was Wil Wheaton’s Radio Free Burrito (RFB). He talks about some of the geekiest stuff but it is fun to listen to him ramble on about his life. Not that my life isn’t spectacular but is helpful in some way to know that I am not alone in my quest for happiness.

On to the music.

The Who – Who’s Next

It is a great album that brings me back to my child hood when my father would listen to the local rock radio channel. I was not a fan of this type of music between the early ages of 3-5 but now that I have come back to it some 30 years later I can look back and remember being that young in my fathers presence because of this music. The singles off this album are what triggers this nostalgic feeling. I think that a lot of the albums that I have been buying lately from the 70s are mainly for nostalgic reasons really. Listening to the whole album though is a bit different. It brings it out of the nostalgic and into new territory for me. The album is very exciting in the beginning with the use of that delayed keyboard. As the album moves on it becomes more of a straight up rock album and slows down a bit in the middle. It then starts to pick up again and the last song is really rocking with the use of that delayed keyboard again. By the end of the album one is just left really high on life. Just fantastic!

Radiohead – In Rainbows-From The Basement (I don't know how to set a link for an iTunes album, I do know that it is still avalable for $7.99)

This is a live video recording of the band soon after the release of In Rainbows at Hospital Studio in London's Covent Garden for the producer of the band (Nigel Godrich). This live video album can only be downloadded from iTunes that I am aware of. It culminates the recordings of In Rainbows and disc 2 of In Rainbows. It also does not include every track that was recorded during this session. I am sure that one could find the full performance on a torrent if you are into that sort of thing. It was aired in the US on VH1 a few times when it was reliesed. Disc 2 of In Rainbows was for a while only avalable in the limited disc box from In Rainbows. You can now download disc 2 from the bands web site. The video was filmed in a dark room with a rich red floor and curtain. It is a very intamate setting. To me the live versions of these songs are much more rich than the actual recordings. It is very interesting to compare the songs from the album to the songs that are found on this live video album.

Phoenix – Wolfgang Amadaus Phoenix

They are an electronic indie group from France. The album is fun but in a relaxing down sort of way. This is a typical style for most indie groups it seems of the late 00s. A couple of tracks have been used in some television commercials. This makes it really fun for me because I can close my eyes and enjoy the music instead of watching the commercial. There is no real high or low point in this album. It is just fun but relaxing music for me. It was over faster than I expected though. I don’t think that I would say that this is an album that is a must have for everyone but if you are out of things that interest you and electronica interests you maybe then check it out.

Velvet Underground – Loaded

This is such a fantastic album to me. I am not even sure when I have heard most of the tracks on this album. When I got the repressing on vinyl last year I was so surprised that I recognized so many tracks. The first track is the exact opposite of The Beatles song called Here Comes The Sun emotionally anyway. The two songs are very similar musically. Then there is the track Sweet Jane. This was an easy one to say that I have heard because it was covered in the 90s by The Cowboy Junkies. I was not a fan of that cover version but when I heard the song in its original recording I just melted. The song Rock & Roll is such a fantastic upbeat song. It just makes me happy to listen to it. The rest of the album is really a fantastic ride. It kind of slumps a bit after the middle and picks it up again except for the last song. Oh, Sweet Nuthin’ is just a supper smooth jam track that is a perfect exit for the album.

No comments:

Post a Comment