Saturday, February 6, 2010

Episode 21

I tweaked the Hofner bass a little bit more today. I think that I got it all set up right. It seemed to tune perfectly at the 12th fret and on the open string for each string. I am very happy about this.

I also did some comparison listening on the stereo today. I listened to the first side of Bjork – Homogenic. I compared it to the MP3 tracks on my iPod. The MP3 tracks were ripped from the original release CD. I adjusted the volume on the iPod to match the volume coming from the turntable. There was a very definite difference in the two sources. The MP3 tracks had more bass than the record and the highs seemed duller. The vinyl was tighter with the bass and there was more clarity in the highs.

I would like to compare the vinyl to the CD to see if the difference that I heard in the MP3 is actually on the CD or if it was a difference in the conversion from CD to MP3. I would also like to copy the vinyl to MP3 and compare the vinyl to the converted vinyl MP3. Maybe compare the two different MP3 versions as well. There are many combinations of comparison that can be done with this idea. All of them are very interesting to me.

3 comments:

  1. IMO a test like this can only be taken seriously if your MP3s are V0. What bitrate did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These MP3s were set at 224kbps and were culled from the original release CD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me correct that. The files are 224 kbps AAC files. Still from the original release CD though.

    ReplyDelete