Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Episode 18

Björk – Homogenic

I remember buying this album when it was first released on CD. I still have that CD to this day. I have been a fan of Björk’s music since her first solo release. This was her third release. She has this great ability to write music that uses both electronic sounds and analog sounds. When I say analog sounds I mean real instruments not just guitars and bass but horns and accordions too. I am not aware of much, if any at all; guitar is used on this album. It is a very atmospheric album. She sets a tone at the beginning of the album and brings it back a little after about a third of the album goes bye. I have listened to this record so much over the years. I know the album so well that I have used it to demo speakers and other hardware before purchasing. My other favorite reference album is the soundtrack to Titanic (I will take a look at that one later). When I first got this album I had an inferior stereo setup. The bass on this album I remember sounding very muddy during those days. As I purchased better equipment I noticed that the bass started to not be so muddy. It was kind of a disappointment to come to the realization that the bass in this album was not meant to be so muddy but really tight and staccato. I still love this album to this day. I actually listened to it 3 times before making this post. I listened to it 2 times digitally and 1 time on vinyl.

Radiohead – Pablo Honey (Japanese import)

I remember getting this album when it was released in high school. I loved the single Creep. There were not any other hard hitting singles other than this one from the album. This was the start of my love for the band. I was just getting into the core of music when this album came out. I did not get any of the singles for this album though when they were new. It was not until after 2000 when I found that there was a Japanese release of this album with extra tracks that I purchased it again. I have still got the original version that I got while I was in high school but to have the expanded version is unique. Most fans really hate this album. I can’t find anything wrong with it personally. If you take out the single, Creep, the album flows very well. Creep is at the beginning of the album so it is not really a big deal either way.

Beck – Mellow Gold

After listening to Pablo Honey I was feeling nostalgic. I turned on the other album that I really loved from that era, Beck - Mellow Gold. Everybody knows Loser. But there is also some very interesting music on this album. His folk electric style can not be paralleled. Even if others think this album is trash it still gives me that nostalgic feeling. The album isn’t trash by the way it is very interesting music.

Dean Martin – Happiness Is

This is another original reprise vinyl pressing. Dean is such an amazing vocalist. I really like his mellow vocals. I don’t have any idea as to what were the singles off this album if there were any. I do know that I like the album with its short 2 – 3 min tracks. There is not enough time to get bored with what he is singing about. It keeps the album bouncing along in a happy light.


Signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment