Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Episode 39

Sigur Rós - Svefn-G-Englar [EP]
I reciently found a copy of this EP for a reasonable price. This is an EP from the Ágætis Byrjun album. The EP is named after one of the singles off this album. I have recently been looking for what I have been missing from this band and found that there are 2 live tracks on this EP that I did not have. The disc only has 4 tracks on it and 2 of them are from Ágætis Byrjun. The other 1 are the live tracks of course. I have seen this band play live 3 times in the past. The first time was for support of this material. I made my sister take me to see them for this first outing. I don’t think that I stayed for the whole concert but it was a really great show that I remember. This group has slowly become one of my favorites. I am also very excited to hear the upcoming full length album. The rumors say that it should be released this fall most likely.

Mute Math – Spotlight EP
This is a 4 track EP in support of the album Armistice. The first single off the album is Spotlight. This single got a lot of air play because it was included on the soundtrack for the movie Twilight. This was the second time that I had heard of the band. The first was on a Past sampler. I did not take not of the song on the Past sampler though. I did take not of them based on the Twilight soundtrack. It was not until a year later that I actually had enough interest to buy an album. See my review of the album Armistice in an earlier post. The first track is the single track of course. The next track is a b-side called Clockwork. This song is in a similar vein to Spotlight. I think that it is a little bit softer than Spotlight though. The next track is the song spotlight with out any words and the BPM (beats per minute). It comes off as a slower karaoke version of Spotlight. I quite like this version of the song really. The last track is a remix of Spotlight by Son Lux. I thought that I had a few other remixes from this artist but I guess that I thought wrong. Anyway, the remix for Spotlight is really fantastic. It is a hard hitting full-rounded analogesque metallic driving beat. I haven’t heard anything electronic or techno like it in the past. It is very moving but still soft on the edges. To me this is so much easier to listen to than most normal techno or edgy electronic music.

Mute Math – Mute Math (S/T)
I have tried a couple times to listen to this album. The first time I tried to listen to this I got through 5 tracks. I ended up going back to the first track because it is so good. It is only about a minute and 10 second long but when you put it on 1 song repeat it continually flows into itself and is just perfect. I have listened to this one song over 60 times on repeat. I want to listen to the rest of the album it is just so hard to get past the first track. Maybe if I skip the first song I will make it through the rest of the album. I will try that next time.

signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment