Saturday, May 8, 2010

Episode 35

To start off with I would like to thank Victory Rose for all the work that he has done with all of the Jónsi and Sigur Rós live material. There is so much new in studio radio recordings and live concert material that he has put up to download for free. It has really opened up a lot of really cool stuff in the Jónsi and Sigur Rós world. I would also like to thank the Jónsi.com web site. With out which I would not have found all of this great material and Victory Rose.



All of last week I have had a song from Jeff Buckley stuck in my head. The song is called Nightmares By The Sea. It is my favorite song on the posthumous album. There is something about the guitar in that song that just makes me so happy. I believe that the pedals used on the guitar are a distortion box and a chorus box. It gives the guitar that wave wash sort of a sound but still with a little bite on it. I couldn’t tell you what the song is about for sure because I don’t put much weight on words. I can sing most of the song when it plays but to me they are just a part of the song. If I had to try and interpret the song I would guess it is about a couple of teens having sex and having to deal with the repercussions of getting pregnant. This could be completely wrong though.

I think that this song got wedged into my head recently because I found out that the album was repressed on vinyl. I have been looking for this album on vinyl for quite a while. Every time I found it, usually used on Ebay, it sold for way to much money. It was usually in the hundred dollar mark. I already have the album on CD so I couldn’t justify spending that much for a second copy. It was at the end of last week that I got an email from my favorite record company, SoundStageDirect.com. It said that they were getting a few copies in repressed and remixed. I was so excited and that is probably when the song started winding up in my mind. They also have available copies of the EP box set. I would love to get a copy of that too but it will also have to wait.

Anyway, the album that I am referring to is Jeff Buckley – Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk. When this album was released he had just passed away a year before. It really rocked my world that he had passed away so quietly. He was an artist that I really loved, in a similar way to Jonsi really. I had just gotten married for the first time and was on the first part of my honeymoon in Duluth MN at Blue Fin Bay resort in August/September. I remember looking out the window and hearing the first single from the album for the first time. It really meant something to me that there was going to be a second album released from Jeff. I will always remember the outdoor scenery in reference to not only the single but the whole album. Although that marriage has dissolved I will always have reference to Jeff Buckley and those days on that honeymoon as well.

It is not very often that I have dreams about artists. I have had dreams about both of these artists. They are usually dreams where they are playing in a small dark club and I get to meet these artists and befriend them. I am not an outgoing person so to meet people like this never happens. To be able to control the meeting is especially nice. When I wake up from these dreams it is like I am closer to these artists somehow.



I found a copy of Prince & The New Power Generation – Diamonds & Pearls on CD recently for 5 bucks. I really like quite a few songs on that album. I remember the singles from that album and they are really funky! This album was released when I was in high school still and very influential on my desires for sex. This was because the singles that were released on the radio all had to do with sex. It is not a bad thing and the songs were not that dirty really. I guess that I am just happy that I can recall things like that through the replaying of music that I really liked in my history.



I also have been listening to Stereolab – Dots and Loops. I have been listening to the album because I started reading a book that I have associated to the album. This album came out at the same time that I started reading a Shadow Run Trilogy. This album was my introduction to the group and will always have a special place in my heart. If you remember the first Volkswagen “New” Beetle commercials, there was one that featured black cars and yellow cars that sort of reminded me flowers, here is a link to the commercial from 1999. The song in the background is a track from this album. I loved that commercial and found that the music was from Stereolab and the song was called Parsec. I went out and got that album as soon as I could. An additional funny thing was that after I got that album I told my best friend about it and he not only already had it but had me listen to the album a few months earlier to that incident.

Signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment