Friday, July 4, 2014

Vol. 5 Episode 26



It seems to be the thing to do at this time of year is to do a best of the first half of the year round up. So, that is what I will do with this Episode. There really has been some great stuff that has come out. The last half of the year seems to be shaping up pretty good for the future too.

There will be a new album coming out from Philip Selway, the Radiohead drummer. I have heard the first single and it sounds like he has built on what he created from his first solo effort. I am pretty excited about this one. It will be released on September 9th, 2014 but you can preorder the album on his web site.

Top five albums of the year so far:


I had been waiting for this concert to be released since I heard that it was recorded. This was way back when I learned that it was going to be put to video. After I had seen the video I wanted an audio only version even more. It took James Murphy two plus years to finaly release this recording to audio but am I ever happy that he did it at all. That is why this is my favorite album up to this point this year.









First off, they are one of the few all time favorite bands of mine. Second they bring back some fun childhood memories with this music on this album. I was an 80s child. Lastly, I like the new sounds that Kip brings to this new album. Although I love the heavy distortion of the last two, this new album comes off lighter and somewhat child like. It is a fresh sound for the band.










3. Sea Wolf – Song Spells No. 1: Cedarsmoke
Although this has not seen a physical release, I was a contributor to the Kickstarter campaign and there fore got access to the album digitally already. This album takes the listener both back in time to the first album and into the future with new music. This is a brilliant album and I can’t wait to get my hands on the physical copy. It has been a long wait (since before December 2013).











I didn’t know anything about the band until the release of this album. I can only thank my local radio station, 89.3 The Current, for introducing me to the group and promoting the concert when it came. It is becoming more popular to pull sounds from the 60s as of late and this group is not to be left out of that swing. They have a great sound and a great look, all of which comes from the 60s and 70s. Thanks to my parents listing to the oldies station I have an appreciation of that sound.









This is the only album that has the shoegazing sound that I like so much in this list (Gold-Bears sort of falls into that category but not fully). This is another band that I had no idea about until I heard that Wirr was telling their fans to listen. After I did listen I was happy that I did. There is some great noise rock on this album that I an very happy with.











Best albums of the year (so far):
Beck – Morning Phase
The Black Keys – Turn Blue
Broken Bells – After The Disco
Coldplay – Ghost Stories
Eternal Summers – The Drop Beneath
The Faint – Doom Abuse
The Gaslight Anthem – The B-sides
Gold-Bears – Dalliance
LCD Soundsystem – The Long Goodbye
Linkin Park – The Hunting Party
Nothing – Guilty Of Everything
The Pains of Being Pure At Heart – Days of Abandon
Sea Wolf  - Song Spells No. 1: Cedarsmoke
Temples – Sun Structures
Withered Hand – New Gods

Best EPs
Black Hearted Brother – Got Your Love
Camera Shy – Jack-O-Lantern
Coil/Nine Inch Nails – Recoiled
OK Go – Upside Out
Poliça – Raw Exit
Squarepusher x Z Machines – Music For Robots

Best singles
The Ar-Kaics – Why Should I/Slave To Her Lies
The Ar-kaics – Make It Mine
The Ar-Kaics – Sick And Tired
Broken Bells – Holding On For Life
The Dodos – Yours Truly Session
Haim – Forever
The Pains of Being Pure At Heart – Simple And Sure
Withered Hand – Horse Shoe

Best compilations
Non Violent Femmes

This is the first album from The Proper Ornaments. The album was released in August 2013. The album was released in a gatefold LP replica sleeve with OBI strip. The sleeve also lists two bonus tracks that are not on the CD at all. I did not know this at first and was excited that there were two extra tracks. I was then let down that they were not included. I then felt enlightened after finding that they were not included on any of the CD that were manufactured.

A lot of the songs on this album I have already talked about as they were included on other releases that were put out around or before this album was released. Every song on The Proper Ornaments EP and the two songs on the Recalling/Are You Going Blind? single are on this album as is the song Nervous Breakdown which was included on the Indie Pop Lesson Compilation. This is eight of the ten songs on the album. So, since I have already talked about 80% of the album I will not re hash what has been said. Instead, if your interested in reading about the music on this album, here are a couple of links to reference this music: The EP is at Vol. 5 Episode 25  The single is at Vol. 5 Episode 24. Although I didn’t talk about Nervous Breakdown in my review of Indie Pop Lesson you can read what I did say in Vol. 4 Episode 14. It is after all a great compilation. If you have interest in Waiting For The Summer, the album it is cheap. Go over to Lo Recordings and get it there or find it on Amazon.


I have this week off. I am, there for, shooting to get two episodes out this week. I am also attending the Oh Hellos concert this week so expect a concert review as well. That is all for now…

No comments:

Post a Comment