Saturday, July 19, 2014

Vol. 5 Episode 29



I briefly mentioned this in the previous post but here are some more details on the Song Reader album from Beck. He has recorded his Song Writer sheet music finally. It will be released on CD and DL on July 29th and sometime in September for the vinyl. Beck has invited many other artists to record the songs though. Beck has only recorded one of the songs. All of the other songs are recorded by other artists.

The Gaslight Anthem have a new album called Get Hurt to be released on August 19th

Slumberland Records have announced a new band on their roster called Literature. They will be putting out their new album called Chorus on August 19th as well.

Bleached have a new EP to be released through Dead Oceans on September 16th.

Lastly, Whirr have a new full length to be released through Graveface Records on September 23rd

Slumberland Records is repressing a couple of records for its 25th anniversary from The Aislers Set. The albums are called Terrible Things Happen and The Last Match. The third album is being repressed by Suicide Squeeze and is called How I Learned To Write Backwards. I am unsure that I will be getting these records. They are good but something isn’t sitting right with me about the music.

I have still not received my copy of The Ar-Kaics new full length. The owner has sited warping issues with the pressing plant.

I have also not received my copy of the new album from The Proper Ornaments. I had ordered something else with them and the stock for that item has been damaged. I am being forced to wait for the stock to be replenished for the damaged record before I will see that record.

Here we go...



This is the fourth album from The White Stripes. It was released in 2003 on V2 records. The album was recorded over a two week period in April 2002 at London’s Toe Rag Studios. The album was recorded on pre-1960s recording equipment and an 8-track tape recorder. This was done because Jack White decided he didn’t want to involve any computers in the writing, recording or production of the album. I really liked the first single and, although it was recorded with the guitar, I learned to play the riff for the song on the bass guitar. It wasn’t until I learned to play the part on the bass that I learned Jack White played the song with a few peddles and the guitar. I was a little disappointed because at that time I had no idea how to play the guitar. I could probably figure it out now but I haven’t taken the time to figure out what peddles he is using. I know now that it is a DigiTech Whammy pedal set down an octave.

There are four singles released from this album. The first of these singles is the amazing Seven Nation Army. This song has become the duo’s most well known song. White has said in the past that the title comes from what he used to call The Salvation Army as a kid. The video is especially interesting as it features a kaleidoscopic tunnel of mirrored black, white and red triangles. In the center of the triangles are images of Jack, Meg and other strange things such as an elephant and skeletons. The triangles come onto the screen faster or slower as the pace of the song picks up or slows down. It keeps the tension of the song in time with the graphics. The Glitch Mob did a dub step remix of this track that nearly tops the song. It is not your typical dub step remix it really just expands on what is already there. It is a fantastic version.

The second single from the group is called I Just Don’t KnowWhat To Do With Myself. It is a cover of the song written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David. It didn’t chart well. Dusty Springfield was the first to cover the song and made it a hit in 1963. I think it becomes a different track with Jack White on the lead vocals as opposed to Dusty Springfield. I really like both versions. There are hints of vocals from groups that I was listening to in 1993 and 94. They were from when I was a senior or junior in high school and was dating a girl that was from a different high school. It was a strange time in my life. I had the freedom of being able to drive a car and this was why I could get away with dating someone from a different school. This was when the first Radiohead album was released as well as Beck’s album called Mellow Gold. Jack’s vocals remind me of Jeff Buckley’s album Grace and to some extent Ours album called Distorted Lullabies.

The third single from the album is called The Hardest ButtonTo Button. Jack White has said that the song is a bout a child trying to find his place in a dysfunctional family with a new baby in the family. The song has a cool bass like distorted basic riff that works well in the song. The drums are Meg White’s classic hard hitting style. The video is a very cool idea that uses multiple instruments of the same type popping up on every beat. It is a lot of fun.

The last single from the album is called There’s No Home ForYou Here. The song didn’t do very well. As a matter of fact, I have never heard the song on the radio. That doesn’t mean that the song isn’t any good. In fact it is very interesting and utilizes many different instruments and vocal styles. The chorus is very full bodied and uses drums, guitar, bass, keyboards (Rhodes) and multi-tracked vocals. Of course the song uses Rhodes keys so I automatically have interest in it.

This is one of the best albums that the group has ever put out. I still wish that they were together as they created some of my favorite music of the 00’s. I understand why jack won’t replace Meg and keep the group alive.


This is Ours first official release. It was released in 2001 on Dreamworks Records. I got into this group because one of my favorite artists had passed away, Jeff Buckley, in 1997 and I was not ready to give up his style of music. Ours had a style and sound that was very similar to Jeff Buckley and I had a way to keep a sound that I liked alive for a while longer. The lead singer, Jimmy Gnecco, has a vocal range and style that is very similar to Jeff Buckly as well. All these things worked in my favor to keep the sounds that I liked so much from Jeff alive in a way. I consider my self very lucky because of this. How many fans of artists that have passed away have been able to find a replacement so similar to the artist that has passed away?

There was only one single released from this album and it was a promo so it wasn’t fully released to the public. The single is called Sometimes. The songs guitar part in the chorus has a sound that resembles the Radiohead song Talk Show Host. The vocals are still Buckleyesque. Both styles are my all time favorites and to have them both on one song makes me feel very happy indeed.

The rest of the album is just as good or better than the single that was released from the first track, Fallen Souls, to the middle with Miseryhead, to the end of the album with Meet Me In The Tower. The album is an emotional roller-coaster with the amazing things Jimmy can do with his voice. The group is largely under the radar but deserves recognition.


This is the seventh album from Mushroomhead. It was released in September of 2010 on Megaforce Records. This is the only metal band of late that I have been actually enjoying. I bought the album on vinyl and was pleasantly surprised that the record was translucent red with translucent yellow dots. The yellow dots look brown when there is no light behind the record. I have never seen this effect before in a record. The album did really well in sales in its first week. This was particularly due to the fact that the lead single was pushed for a few months through different sources including Headbangers Ball and TNA Wrestiling with the fight of Rick Flair and Mick Foley.

There were only two singles released from this album. The first of those two is Come On. The band premiered the song themselves on Headbangers Ball. The video was later banned from air play not only on MTV but everywhere else for being deemed too graphic by network censors. It is very graphic and features people free wrestling in a warehouse. I think that Jeffrey Nothing’s butcher outfit is a bit over the top and disturbing in the video as well, not that the next evolution of the costume is any better, as seen in the video for Your Soul Is Mine. Come On is sort of an arena rock track where the crowd can chant with the group during the chorus. The song is still very heavy metal sounding even if it is an arena rock song in style. This is the best song on the album so if you don’t like this one you won’t like the rest of the album probably.

The second single from the album is called I’ll Be Here. It is a slower song that reminds me a little bit of the late 90s alt/metal drivel that was being pushed down our throats at the time. It has been over ten years since that crap was being put out so this track is not really as bitter as it could have been five or more years ago. I also think that this track sounds much better than that 90s alt/metal music ever could. This is because Mushroomhead are no afraid to use electronic sounds to make music. They can add melody parts and aren’t afraid to make a bad song better with electronic sounds at their disposal. There are so many bands out there that are still afraid of synth and samples. These tools when used properly can make the difference in any music.

This really is a great album and I hope that they keep making music. What they create is so much fun.
 
That is all for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment