Friday, April 5, 2013

Vol. 4 Episode 14



Weekend have announced the release of their sophomore album. It will be released through Slumberland Records on 7/23/2013. The first single from the album, Mirror, can be heard over at Pitchfork.

You can preorder the Part Time Punks session that Whirr did on vinyl now over at Run For Cover Records. It will be on colored vinyl. It is only four tracks though. The original cassette has five tracks. The last of the five being a demo version of  Color Change from the Grave Face Records charity series from last summer.

Here we go...


Indie Pop Lesson special set

This is a book from Twee Grrrls Club that came with a twelve track compilation record (plus MP3 download of LP) and a cute mini tote bag. It was released in Japan only. I found out about the release from Kip Berman, The lead singer from The Pains of Being Pure At Heart. He told me recently that they had contributed a demo track called Sure to the compilation. He also told me that the song was a bit faster than he wanted and that he wasn’t exactly happy with the drums. He said that Violet and Claire had copies available and that they would ship and price the special set outside of Japan. I contacted them via email and found that they still had a special version left. They sent it out before I was even able to pay for the set. I got the set in the mail even before I had paid for it, it shipped that fast. I only cared about getting the track from The Pains but after hearing the whole album I lost my mind. It is such a great compilation. It is such a fun pop album. I which that there was a US version of this because every one should hear this group of tunes! The compilation sort of progresses from the happy female twee tracks to the second half of the record with male indie pop tracks. This album is so much fun. It reminds me of Heavenly songs through to the current fun pop stuff like The Pains and Veronica Falls.

The lead of track is called I Don’t Care by Summer Twins. This track reminds me of the indie music fronted by girls in the mid 90s. Some people would call this style bubble gum pop and it is that happy type of music that inspires happiness whether you want it to or not. In moderation this is a good thing. I can’t get enough of it at the moment.

The next track on the album that I really like is called Disko Kitten by Ice Cream Shout. This track uses the bass line to hold the song together. The electric guitar is only used in the chorus of the song. The j-pop style is in your face in this track as they are a Japanese group. The noise in the bass guitar on the verse sounds so cool. The vocals are perfection in my opinion. I love hearing artists sing in a foreign language and the mix between English and Japanese is fantastic here.

The next track, Open Arms by The Garlands, is a female vocal driven speed punk track that has one of the catchiest choruses I have ever heard from this style of music. I don’t like this track as much as others but it is still a great song and fits well in this collection.

The track Night Starvation(Cleaners From Venus cover) by Catwalk has something special about it. The chorus works very well but the overall feel reminds me of The Velvet Underground track called Who Loves The Sun from the album Loaded. It just has that feel of silky smoothness for me.

The reason that I got the set was because of the track Sure by The Pains of Being Pure At Heart, like I said earlier. The song is a fun mid 80s sounding track with the drum machine and heavy synth sounds. There is still standard bass and guitar work but the early electronic sounds remind me more of the mid 80s when I was still a kid with the sparkly synth sounds and the echo synth sounds. It is a cool sound from the group that I would not have expected.

The following song in this collection called ButterflyKisses by Wallflower has a sound that I would have expected from The Pains, not that I expect The Pains to write a song like this but that it sounds like something they could write. The vocals are very similar to The Pains as well. The guitar actually stands in front of the vocals during the verse section of the song. It is fun poppy and beautiful.

The last song I like a lot from this album is called Dearest Virginia by Pale Lights. The vocals are deeper than the rest of the album and give another diminution than most of the rest of the album and kind of color the last part of the album a bit. The song reminds me of songs that were put out in the 70 by the likes of The Byrds. It is very good and I can get along with it very well.

This is a great collection if you can get your hands on it. I recommend it highly. The vinyl set is now out of print. You can still get the book if you are interested in that though. The book comes with a download of the songs on the record. I think it still comes with the small tote bag too.
 


This box set was finally released at the end of March, 2013. I ordered it at the end of December of 2012 and have been waiting ever since. There were a couple of complications with the manufacture of the pressing which caused the set to be delayed from its original release date. Artists In Residence (A+R) added a download of each of the albums because of this delay. The box set was limited to 1500 units that were numbered and signed by the band. The box also includes recordings that were never pressed on vinyl before. Because some of these collections have never seen a vinyl pressing they had to be remastered. The remastering was done by Roger Seibel at SAE.

Included with this set is the original cassette-only demo collection of You Can Play These Songs With Chords. The graphic is of the original cassette cover. There is a CD version put out with eighteen tracks but what is in the box set here is the original collection of eight songs from the cassette never before pressed on vinyl.

Also not previously released on vinyl and contained within this box set for the first time are both The Stability E.P. and The Death Cab For Cutie Forbidden Love E.P. Both of these E.P.s are cut at 45 RPMs. I have never heard anything from either of these two EPs and am very excited to give them a listen.

Something About Airplanes is also in this collection but was repressed a couple years back. Transatlanticism was also included in this collection. This is its first repressing since its release in 2003. I talked about Transatlanticism in Episode 30.

The last of the seven albums included in this set are We Have The Facts And We’re Voting Yes and The Photo Album. We Have The Facts has a cool die cut cover so that some of the dots on the bottom of the graphic look like they are in 3D. The Photo Album is the one in the collection that had a misprint on the label. Some of them have the label for the Stability E.P. on them.

This set is out of print but you can get them at some of the online dealers like Amazon.com. I was, obviously, able to get my copy from A+R. From what I have seen the online dealers are selling the set for ten or more dollars above what A+R sold it for. Third party markup sucks.



This is the second full length album from Wax Idols. It was released at the end of March, 2013. This was a unique vinyl pressing because it was pressed with a black center and clear outer edge. I had never seen a record pressed in this way. This was a big part of why I got the record. I had heard a couple of tracks from the record on the Slumberland web page too and liked what I heard. The record coloring was what tipped the scales for me to get the record though.

The first, and only at the moment, single from the album is called When It Happens. The song smacks of dark 80s music. The kind of stuff that I wanted to like but radio stations just didn’t play enough of. My parents probably didn’t want me to get into this type of music either when it was cool. When I say dark I mean the likes of The Cure or The Smiths but in an all female group setting. This may sound bad but I kind of get a little ‘Til Tuesday or Pixies sound when Kim Deal is singing. The ultimate comparison I could give would be The Runaways. I guess it is not a bad thing to resemble bands like these when they did have big hits in their time. I know some bands don’t like to be compared to bands from the past but I think it is a compliment especially when they don’t mean to sound like anything but their own original sound. I know that when I write something new there are times when I intend to sound like a specific band and other times when I thy to create something totally original. I think it is a compliment to me if someone says that I have created a song that sounds similar to a band I really like weather I intend to sound like them or not.

There is one other song that I really like from this album. That song is called AD RE: IAN. I have no idea why it is spelled this way but I guess it doesn’t matter. The song seems to follow the loud soft loud style. It is excessively listenable as the loud parts are not that loud. The loud parts are actually just adding more sound with echo and reverb pedals. It is a very good song with good hooks to keep the listener happy.

It really is some great music that should not be over looked. At the very least give it a listen to see for your self.




This is the second single released from the album Waiting For Something To Happen. It was first released in the UK in January of 2013. It was released in the US in March 2013. The UK graphic is different from the US graphic but musical content is the same. They were pressed in black vinyl only, no frills on this one folks. You French folks can download the single but if you don’t live in France then you will have to buy a 7” record. I personally don’t like the frizzy haired girl on the cover of the UK version and am happy that there was an alternate graphic for the US version.

The A side of the single is Teenage. The song is a fun one. The song paints a picture, in my head, of a school student, who is able to drive, taking a friend or significant other home. They take the long way home so that the person who is not driving can listen to the music they want to hear. It is kind of a joy ride where the two of them are enjoying each others company. Then the driver drops them off at their home. It is really a cute and innocent story.  Musically, I like the ending where the lead guitar bends a couple of notes out of tune. It works so well for the song, a little dissidence there at the end like they start to not get along just at the end of the trip.

The B side of the single is called Talk About You. This one appears to be about a person’s significant other trying to find out more about the person through their siblings. After they get this info they want to talk to the person to verify that the information is correct. It is an odd way to learn more about the person that you care about. If everyone was in the same conversation I think it would be all right. To get this information behind their back is a bit underhanded. It is cute but not quite right to do it in this way. The music behind the lyrics is a bit slower than I would usually like but it does pair with the A side of the record very well. I can over look the slow problem because it matches with the first track so well.

 That is all I have for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment