Sunday, April 20, 2014

Vol. 5 Episode 15



As you all have read in my past notes sections, yesterday was Record Store Day 2014. I made my usual trek over to Down In The Valley in Golden Valley, MN. I take my family with every year (and Black Friday, so, twice a year really). It is a fun family outing and it maximizes the amount of music that we come home with. At the same time it limits my personal intake of music because I also need to buy records for each member of the family too. I am not mad about this though because it keeps the family involved in the festivities.

This year we decided to get there at 5 in the morning. We were surprised to find that there were six people in line already ahead of us, the first five of which apparently were there at midnight. The sixth person was someone that we had seen in past years and he usually did not have any interest in the items that we wanted. This was the case this year too. It was good to see him though. I am bad with names but have good recognition of faces. Sorry to all you folks in line that I remember from past years but can’t remember your names. The sixth person was looking for a couple of soundtracks and a heavy metal album I believe.

The five guys in the front of the line seemed to be all friends. When asked what they were getting, they all said that they were looking for some indie records but wouldn’t say what they were except for the Ghostbusters 10” record and the Chvrches record. I was a bit nervous about that since my son was looking for the Ghostbusters record too. I was also a little nervous that they were looking for indie records because that was most of my list. As it turned out there were enough Ghostbusters records available for us to get one too. I was also relieved that there idea of indie music was not that deep. It helped that they were shopping for them selves so they could only get three items each before they had to go to the end of the line. The reason that I take my family of four is so that we can maximize our purchase power. So, while they could only get three items each we got 12 items in one go (my wife, my 13 year old son, my one year old son, and myself). Yes, my one year old gets his own number, he gets the record from the Rockabye Baby! series when they are put out.

My 13 year old got a long board for Christmas this year and he has been itching to give it a try since he has gotten it. I told him he could bring it with for record store day because the snow should be melted off the parking lot by then. We had just gotten 12” the peek prior but it had been warm enough to melt off the roads and such during the week after. He got on it like it was a standard board and pushed around a bit. He got a little over confident after that and at one point didn’t move his feet and fell off. I went over to talk to him, advised him on how better to stand on the board after giving a few pushes and had him stretch out his hip so that it wouldn’t hurt and loosen up the muscles where he fell. Usually he would have stopped right there but he got back up and pushed on for another fifteen to twenty minutes. I was proud of him for getting back on.

My wife had to be to work early again this year so we couldn’t stay longer than to pick up the limited RSD14 items again this year. So we made our purchases and drove home so she could get to work. Maybe next year she will have the day off and we can stay longer to look at what else is in the store.


Those records that we picked up I am very excited to talk about. Some of the highlights are the Ghostbusters glow-in-the-dark 10" record, the LCD Soundsystem Last Goodbye box set and the Kanine Records compilation called Non Violent Femmes.

Here we go...


The Dodos – Truly Yours Session
This is a single released for RSD 2014. It is performed with the Magik * Magik Orchestra. This released was limited to 1000 units on translucent yellow vinyl (it looks more orange to me). The release came with a download code for the two tracks. The sleeve is just a fold over piece of tag board but it is housed in a plastic outer sleeve. There is a yellow promo sticker on that plastic sleeve stating information about the release. This is the first single that I have ever bought from The Dodos. The addition of the orchestra really helps the group sound fuller than it has in the past with the exception of the Time To Die album which added more color with the use of the Vibraphone.

The A side of the record has the track Substance. The song is played, it seems, the same way that it is on the record but the orchestra takes over for any of the background sounds on the song as it is a two piece group. The string add more emotion to the track. It is a small change that makes for big dramatics. It is truly a beautiful version of this song. I hope that radio stations are able to get their hands on these tracks and can play them.

The B side of this record is the track The Ocean. The original version of this one already had a limited string section. I think that having Magik * Magik play as a part of this track adds to the sound giving it even more dimension and definition to the track. It has become something better and bigger and again more emotional than the original.

Both tracks are absolutely beautiful and I wish that they could have recorded more tracks for a full length album. If that is what is in store great, if not that is too bad, a missed opportunity for sure.


This is an EP release for spoon. It was originally released on CD only in 2000. It was pressed on vinyl for the first time ever for RSD 2014. The A and B sides have the same content. I think that there may have been a screw up at the plant and it probably should have been cut at 45 RPM to spread the music out to two sides. There were only 700 units pressed of this record as per the RSD web page.

There are five tracks on the EP. The first of those is called Change My Life. I feel that this was just where they were getting into their groove. It is a little bit fuzzy but I can see where it lines up and starts to become clear as to where the group is going. It is really exciting when you sit and listen to the music from a groups past and can see where they are going and compare it to the current music that they have made. It is a drum noisy track but still very good.

The next track is called I Didn’t Come Here To Die. This track is bluesy in nature with the drums squaring up and the guitar riff very straight. This is a track that I would expect the group to have come up with. I really like that blues lick. I wish they would put out some more tracks with that style. It is a good groove. In the latter half of the song there is a floating additional guitar noise that is really loud but spacey. I dig that sound too. The song is too short for me it is such a cool riff.

The third track is called Jealousy. This one is kind of bland, like I have heard it before. It kind of reminds me too much of The Beatles. This may be what they were going for but it is too over the top for me. It is a good song but not one that I like too much.

The next track is called The Figures of Art. This one has a good rock and roll guitar sound. The drums are a bit more fuzzed out but it works well with the song. I guess it has a Rolling Stones kind of a feel to it. It is big and the guitar highs are right there in the front. I am not a big fan of the Rolling Stones but I like this track a lot.

The last track on the EP is called Chips and Dip. It is a slower track with a piano in the lead. It has an arena rock feel with the slow tempo and subdued instrumentals. It doesn’t have the chanting element that the greatest arena rockers have but it does support the crowd sway effect that others of that genre have. Again, not one of my favorites but it has its place.

This EP has some good tunes and I am happy that I have gotten a copy finaly.


This is a RSD 2014 release. It is pressed on pink and white swirl vinyl. It is a compilation put out by Kanine Records. I found out about this from the record companies twitter post about the release before the RSD list was even put out. The record company posted the information about the record early. There were a couple of bands that I recognized and wanted it for them. I already had the track from Joanna Gruesome but had to have it after I saw that Flowers had a track on it that I didn’t have. I didn’t know any of the other artists that are on the album. After giving the album a good listen, I am happy to say that this is a killer all female lead compilation album that I can’t live with out.

The first track is from Speedy Ortiz. It is called No Below (Ocean Shitty Demo). I recognize the group name but I can’t say that I have heard or liked anything from them. This still stands true as this is my least favorite track from the album. It is a simple track with acoustic and electric guitar and multitracked vocals. There are drums added in about half way through the track but incredibly simplified. It is a fair track, with its saving grace being the electric guitar.

The next track is from Flowers and is the reason that I bought the album. The Track is called All I Want Is You. I love the way that the vocals are so high pitched and have a sweet echo that aids the vocals in floating through the song. I like light and airy vocals that have echo on them. The music that accompanies these vocals just adds to elevating them. This song makes the album and I am very happy that I have this track.

Then something unexpected happens. The next track is from a group called Eternal Summers. It is called Goodnight Goodbye. They hit the surf chords and sounds that I love so much but keep it in the realm of shoegaze at the same time. I think that I have found my next favorite band. The vocals have that echo that I like so much and the guitar is so surf sounding with the reverb and echo on it. It is absolute perfection in my opinion. I will be looking into this group and you readers will be hearing more from me about them in the future for sure.

Joanna Gruesome contributed the track Secret Surprise which is from their debut album, Weird Sister, that was released last year (2013) on Slumberland Records. I talked about the album in Vol. 4 Episode 37. I had this to say about the track then, “This song is very punk with what reminds me of The Runaways vocal style with high pitched guitar work. It is a fun track with cool punk sounds. This song is easy to get along with.” I still think this is a great track with great punk sounds. I can’t recommend this track or the album Weird Sister enough.

I like the song that precedes this track a lot. It is from a group called Beach Day and the song is called All My Friends Were Punks. I can identify with the claps that go through the song as it reminds me of The Go-Go’s music. It is like they took that sound and added some noise to it with guitar distortion. This track is right up there for me with the Flowers and Joanna Gruesome track, which are the reasons that I got this album in the first place.

There are eleven tracks on this album and all are very good. These are just the highlights from the album. If you can find it and you are into the girl group DIY sound I highly recommend getting this album.


This is the fifth vinyl pressing from Rockabye Baby! They have been putting out CDs for quite a long while but it is only in the past few years that they have been putting out records and only for RSD and BFRSD. This one is pressed on white vinyl. I don’t know how limited they are, I did get the first two that they pressed directly from the web site a year after they were released, but it is fun to get something for the baby on RSD. The renditions are perfect for children and have enough of the elements of the original songs that parents won’t get frustrated or bored listening to the music. I really like the way that the music is put together, especially since I know all of the music. It makes me feel good knowing that I can listen to the music and have my nostalgic feelings and the baby will have his first experiences with these artists that mean so much to me in a subdued format to prepare him for the real thing later in life. If you have kids, love music and want to pass that on to your kids, I have found that this is the perfect launching pad for that idea. This is a great release and I can’t wait for the next one!

This is basically a greatest hits album done in lullaby form. Some of my favorites are on this album including Heroes, Let’s Dance, Rebel Rebel, Fame and Young Americans. There are twelve tracks spanning from his start to about the mid 80s with Let’s Dance. I can’t wait to play this for my son.

There are still plenty more RSD albums in my back pocket to talk about and the Temples concert is this week. There will be a lot more to come…

No comments:

Post a Comment