Friday, April 4, 2014

Vol. 5 Episode 12



Slumberland Records has announced that they will be releasing the first single from the new Pains of Being Pure At Heart album. I jumped off my seat with excitement after hearing this news.

The Wizard Of Oz will have a soundtrack pressing for Record Store Day in emerald green vinyl. It is an interesting release.

Here we go...



This is a greatest hits album from the group. It was released on the 25th of March. It features an unreleased track as the lead of song on the album. The last three tracks on the album are the rare Attic Demos. The album comprises a total of 19 tracks; because of this the album is a bit too long for me. The album also comes with a DVD of various video footage of the band.

The previously unreleased track, Fake Your Death, is not my favorite by any means. It doesn’t have the sound that has made them popular at all. It is just too grand and arena rock style for me. It is like they were going for something that was bigger than they actually were. Maybe this is a part of the problem with the group and why they broke up. They were getting too big for their britches. Either way the rest of the album is a great walk through all their big hits.

This single was supposed to be a part of last weeks singles post but didn’t arrive in time to get it on the post. This is also a picture disc that has the same type of graphic as the Future Foe Scenarios 7” single. This one is not limited by number though. It was only released in the UK though. The song was released as a single nearly a year after the album it comes from was released.

The song Well Thought Out Twinkles is probably one of my favorites from the group. The song is filled with controlled distortion. It is a very fast track that I can listen to over and over again. All I can really say about this song is listen to it and you will probably agree that it is one of the best underground hits ever.

The B-side is a slower song called Mercury. This is another track that doesn’t seem to go anywhere. it is a good slow song but doesn’t keep my interest. The drums are simple, the bass is repeating and there really isn’t a hook in the song that keeps my interest.

I cant say that this single is a necessary item to get. The album that the song comes from, Carnavas is more worth your time.



Black Hearted Brother have a new digital only EP out as of the first of April.
I actually preordered this EP from Amazon. This is the first time I had ever preordered a digital anything ever. I felt kind of dumb preordering a digital album because it is not like they will be out of a digital product ever. This leads me to what I wish would have happened. I wish they would have released this EP at least on CD so I could have had a physical copy, even if it was on CDr.

Anyway, the EP features an edited version of Got Your Love from the album The Stars Are Our Home.

It also features a non-album track called Don’t Take The Weight. It is a slower track that keeps with the theme of the album with the synth sounds and drum hits. The tone of the vocals fits very well with the music. It actually reminds me of the way that Damon Albarn sings on the slower Blur tracks. It is very relaxing and the sounds that swirl around the vocals are dizzying and intoxicating.

The last two tracks are remixes of Got Your Love and are very long. The first of the two remixes, Ricardo Tobar remix, has a lot of noise and becomes distracting and hard to listen to, not my favorite. The second of these two remixes, Ultramarine remix, comes off as somehow more of a shoegaze sound than the original. It is pure genius. The vocals have a spacious echo on them that sounds like your taking a walk through a heavy mist in the forest. The echo on the drum sound adds to the feel. The piano part rings out clear as day and gives me the feel that the sun is about to come out and burn back the mist. I really like this remix and hope that there will be more from black hearted brother in the future. It is hard to say as the members have their hands in so many other pots.


As I have found out after getting this album, this is not the band named Weekend that Slumberland Records have been supporting. Instead this is a band called Weekend that originally released music in the early 80’s. I will admit that I was suspicious that Slumberland’s Weekend had even been together in 81’. I had not found anything on Discogs about this release until after I got it in the mail. Once I had gotten the album and listened to it I was very happy. The music has a light sound that is reminiscent of today’s indie music. I guess what is old is new again. This is the first time that these select songs have been released on vinyl. This set of songs has been previously been released on CD and had also been tacked on to a reissue of the groups first album, La Varieté.

The first track on the album is called Drumbeat. The lyrics don’t come in until the last half of the song and are vary sparse. They are very pretty though and are like a light snow on a frozen landscape. The music is also sparse, the drums are electronic but the guitar is smooth and sexy.

The second track, Red Plaines, reminds me of the tiki music that was popular back in the day. There are no lyrics to this song and this actually works to some extent. The riff is repeated a bit too often for me. It is a good song but I wish it was a bit shorter.

The third track is called Nostalgia. This track has a similar feel as the previous track except it has lyrics. The vocals are very pretty again with this track. I also like the muted guitar part. This song fits a style that I really like.

The last track is called Summerdays (Instrumental). This track is very long and if you have no interest in music that runs into and loops over itself this may not be the track for you. This nine minutes of smooth music that works very well for me. The vocals only add to the song but I could just as easily due without them.

All in all, this demo album is very nice. If you’re into 80s or current independent music this may be the album for you.



With the announcement of a new album from The Black Keys, a new single has been released called Fever. You can get an instant download with the preorder from The Black Keys web page. The song is fun and takes the group in a new direction. The first time I heard the song I was a bit hurt because it was not the sound that I was expecting from them. On further listens I have opened up to the idea that they can branch out into different avenues of old school blues music and use keyboards in a star roll for example. The song lets the bass take the lead for the most part on this track too. I think that Danger Mouse taking the producer position helps to advance this group in those new ways again. I am very excited to get my hands on this album when it is released!

That is all for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment