Friday, April 11, 2014

Vol. 5 Episode 13




The Ar-Kaics will have two new 7” records released this month. One on Steady Sounds Records. The songs Make It Mine, the A-side, and Movin On. The other on Hidden Volume Records. The songs Sick and Tired, The A-side, and Cut Me Down. They are also working on finalizing the details, artwork and such, for their full length album on Windian Records. There is also still slated another 7” on Windian Records. So much music that they are putting out. I am very excited for them.

Insound Has a special Death Bundle featuring their first album the new album, yet to be released, and a compilation album for just under 50 bucks after shipping.

The Silversun Pickups are making an apperance on Video Game High School next season. One of my favorite internet shows and one of my favorite bands, exciting.

Don't forget, Record Store Day 2014 (RSD 2014) is next weekend. Lots of very cool releases coming out next Saturday. I will be at my favorite record store early to get everything I want.

Here we go...



This album was released this past Tuesday (4/8/2014) officially. This is the groups sixth album not including the remix albums. The deluxe version comes with a copy of the Evil Voices EP. It has a gloss and foil cover sleeve. This version was also only pressed to 500 copies. I have been into this group since I first heard the single I Disappear from the album Wet From Birth. I still need to get the back catalog though. The album has the sound from the band that I have come to expect but seems to come off a little bit lighter. The album doesn’t seem to have that mind blowing single that Wet From Birth did or Faciinatiion did. That doesn’t make it any less of a great electronic rock album though.

Evil Voices is a vinyl only tour EP that was originally only pressed to 1000 copies. The EP was also included in the deluxe version of the Doom Abuse album. The EP is only four tracks long and two of the tracks are included on the Doom Abuse album.

Evil Voices is the first track on the EP and exists on the new album so I am calling it the first single from the album. It is the song that packs the most punch on the album with a super cool sawtooth synth bass open. The song kicks in after that and just keeps going. The chorus packs that same bass synth sound that just kicks my butt. This is probably my favorite song on the album. I also like the break down and the bass synth solo part with the high pitched noises that are created.

Unseen Hand being the other track that is included on the EP and on the album, I would consider to be the second single from the album. It is a fun poppy track that comes off a little lighter than Evil voices. It doesn’t really do much for me because I expect more heavy rock than a pop track with sci-fi tendencies. I could get use to this type of a track from them though.

The third single is called Help In The Head. This is the first album only track that the band has put out as a single. I kind of like this track, it has the hard rock feel that I like from the band. It also combines that pop feel that I like. The song also talks, as you can get from the title of the track, needing doctoral help for the psycho problems in ones head. it is an interesting way to say that you need a shrink or worse.

At first I wasn’t sure about this album but it is starting to grow on me. I would recommend this album along with anything from their back catalog to anyone who is looking for something new in the world of heavy metal or electronic.


This is a remix EP released back in February on Cold Spring records. It was released after the members of Coil had passed away. The EP features five remixes of four songs, two versions of Eraser. These remixes are pre-laptop generation. This release has been a long time in coming. Fans new of their existence but they were never released. I always thought that I had the track that was used in the movie Seven but apparently the version on this EP was the version. There is a colored vinyl version of this record but I was too late to get a copy. It was sold out by the time I had the money to get a copy. I also just got my copy in the mail this week, so there must have been a pressing problem for me to not have gotten the vinyl copy until now. The digital version has only four tracks but the CD and vinyl have five tracks. That extra track is called Eraser (Baby Alarm Remix). All five of the tracks are stripped down versions of the original with very cool atmospheric sounds in the back ground. It is exactly what I would have expected as I have many different remixes from the Nine Inch Nails (NIN) back catalog.

The first track, Gave Up (Open My Eyes), is the only track that really has a good beat to it. It is really unexpected for me as I would have expected that all of the songs would have a stripped down slower beat feel. I guess it starts on a high note and comes down from there.

The second track, Closer (Unrecalled), was supposed to be the version used in the movie Seven. I always thought that it was Closer(Precursor) but I guess I am wrong. Neither version was ever included on the soundtrack for the movie Seven but the song can be heard in the credits and in another part of the movie, I can’t remember where though.

The other tracks are good and remind me of when I listened to The Downward Spiral during the year after it was released but it is primarily nostalgic for me. The music isn’t new enough to take me somewhere else. They are remixes from back in the day so I wouldn’t really expect a mind blowing experience.


This is the seventh album from The B-52s. This album was released in spring of 2008. I gave this album a miss for a long time. I finally broke down and got a used copy for cheap. It had been 16 years between the release of this album and the previous album, Good Stuff. I have always liked the music that they have created and still can’t figure out why I didn’t get this one. I guess that the music just didn’t fall on my radar. I had heard the first single but maybe at the time was not impressed.

The first single from the album is called Funplex and is the title track. The song is about shopping at the mall really. It has a great poppy sound that I really like. I can’t figure out what it was that I didn’t like about this song. It hat the guitar sound that I have come to love about the group and the fun vocals from all three members. I don’t get what I didn’t like other than I am not a teen ager anymore. It is still a lot of fun and can be enjoyed by all ages.

The second single is called Juliet of The Spirits. This song is a bit slower and has a nice plunking bass line with drums that push the song along. The song reminds me of something that could have come from the 80s but with current sensibilities. It is a good song but not a great song.

The album is a log of pop fun and if you like what the group has done in the past you should like this album too. 



This is a 10” single released from Blackest Ever Black records. It was released in January of this year and is limited to 500 pressings. The tracks are considered to be Ambient and or experimental. I got this EP as a freebie because the owner of the record company never sent out the Weekend record that I reviewed last week. As an apology they included this record. As it turns out this is a very interesting couple of songs. I probably never would have bought them on my own but I really like the first track.

The A side is a song called Thus They Sang In The GoldenAge. There is a lot of echo on the lead part which sounds similar to a saw being played but with heavy echo processing. There are other back ground sounds going on to help progress the song but it is a no frills ambient track.

The B side is a bit more jarring. This one is called Up ToThe Skies. The lead part is a saxophone playing a trill and a heavily echo processed one note. There are also some backing saxophone parts but this is all that is on the song, Saxophone and echo processing.

Note: who ever uploaded these two tracks got the track names backwards.
 
I am thinking about doing a double post the week with RSD 2014. That is all I have for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment