Friday, May 24, 2013

Vol. 4 Episode 20



Whirr have a new EP coming out in the beginning of July. It will have four songs and will be released through Graveface records.

You can now preorder the expanded edition of the new SigurRos album. It will have two extra tracks on an additional 10” record.

Surfer Blood have a new album called Pythons to be released in early June. I am very excited for this one.

Sun Records has partnered with Third Man Records to repress Sun Records 7” 54 RPM singles. The first three are available for purchase now. You can get them as a set of three or separates. Rufus, Johnny Cash and Prisonaires are the artists for these three singles. 

Here we go...



The original release for this single was in 1956. The single remains faithful to its original issue on Sun Records. It replicates the classic logo and label design along with the Sun record sleeve.

I recently purchased this single because I love the track Get Rhythm. It is my favorite out of anything that Cash has ever released. To my surprise, when I got the record in the mail, the record in the box was for Prisonaires. I wrote an email to the record company as soon as I could. I hadn’t heard anything the following day so I called Third Man Records and left a message. They sent the Cash single to me for free and didn’t require that I send the other back. I was very happy with this. I did ask if they could send the third one with the replacement but they couldn’t do that with out causing themselves too much hassle. I will buy the third one at some point in the near future.

Get Rhythm is the A side for this single. Most people thought it was the other way around as I walk The Line is a more popular track. It was actually released the other way around. The song itself has a cool train style beat. The muted guitar that is played in this track is an arch-top guitar and is the reason that I own two of these types of guitars. It is just a perfect sound over and above a standard round or square shouldered acoustic guitar. Cash’s voice is near perfection as he was a younger man at the time of the recording. The song paints a great happy picture of a boy shining shoes and the conversation that Cash has with the boy

The B side of the single is, as I mentioned earlier, I WalkThe Line. This song also has that cool train sounding beat. The guitar is the same with this track as well but it doesn’t stand out as much. The focus on this song is the vocals and there meaning to a significant other.


This was originally released in 1953. This is the second of the first three repressings done with Third Man Records for Sun Recordings. The single remains faithful to its original issue on Sun Records. It replicates the classic logo and label design along with the Sun record sleeve.

The A side of the single is called Baby Please. The song is a blues track that talks about a man who has fallen in love with a girl but she is still not interested after all of the pleading that he has done. It is a simple song with just an acoustic guitar and upright bass. All five members were prisoners but joined together to form this doo-wop group.

Like the Cash single the B side for this single, JustWalkin’ In The Rain, was more popular than the A side. This track paints the picture of a man walking in the rain in a depressed mood because he has lost his girl. They don’t sing about what happened but instead the song reminisces about the times that he had with the girl and how the people feel that he walks past. It is an interesting sweet song with much the same sound as the A side; acoustic guitar, upright bass and five part male vocals.

It is said that this group is one of Elvis Presley’s favorite groups. I can’t say if this is true but it is etched into the run out of the record.


This was a single released in 1997. I came upon this single at a local used record shop. I saw that it was put out by Sympathy For The Record Industry and had to have it. I have a few other singles put out by this record company. The most important of those is the 5” record that Man or Astro-Man? released. I thought, “How could I go wrong?” To my surprise, when I got the record out, I found it was orange. I love colored records. It was a great find for only a couple bucks.

The A side of the record is called Do The Zombie. It is a fun punk track that sings about a night with a full moon and the night that the zombies came out. The song reminds me of The Monster Mash only faster and more fun.

The B side of the record is called She’s Fallen In Love With A Monster. This one has a surf feel similar to The Munsters Theme. The song is a bit slower than the A side but the lyrics are better understood. I can live with that trade off for sure.

Garagemonsters – Powerhouse (Feat. Clint Ruin, The Pizz & Buttstain)
This is another single from Sympathy For The Record Industry. Powerhouse was released in 1989. I got this one at the same time as the single from The Eyeliners. This single is not colored but instead is single sided with the B side being etched with the graphic on the back cover of the sleeve. I only have one other single sided 7” and that one is not etched. This one looks as if it was hand etched but I can’t be sure. I don’t know who the three featured artists are on this track either.

The A side track is called Powerhouse. The song reminds me of the old Warner Brothers Loony Toons cartoons because the orchestra music that is played is also used with those cartoons. There are other noises but this is what stands out for me. It is a song that I could listen to over and over though.


This single was released in 1983. It is one of my favorite songs from Bowie. This is probably because I was a kid when this track was released and had a great influence on me during that time. I also had access to MTV and saw it quite a bit there.

I picked up this single just recently when I got the two Sympathy For The Record Industry singles. I was a bit disappointed that the original sleeve was not there. On the other hand the record sounds spectacular for a 30 year old record.

The A side, Let’s Dance, sounds like I am in the studio listening to the band play it live. It is one of the best sounding singles I think I own right now, next to that new Johnny Cash repressing anyway.

The B side, Cat People (Putting Out Fire), does not sound quite as good. It is a good song but the sound is like it is just coming from my stereo. It is amazing the difference one side to the other can make.


This is another single I picked up at the same time as the Sympathy For The Record Industry singles. This one was released in 1987.

The A side is the song Holiday. I loved this song as a young adult. I use to imagine being grown up with my own family and going on vacations (holiday) with my family. We would go to the warm exotic areas of northern Africa. I always thought of Morocco for some reason. This song still takes me to those areas in my head. It seems a bit odd to me because when I listen to the song for the song it reminds me of space travel really.

The B side of the record is called Dark Ages. This song is a bit more grounded. The female vocals sound like Tori Amos but have low tone male vocal support during the chorus. It sounds absolutely beautiful.

That is all I have for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment