Friday, May 3, 2013

Vol. 4 Episode 18



The new She & Him album will be out next Tuesday. I got my copy today because I ordered it directly from Merge Records.

Still waiting for the third single from Man or Astro-Man? to get to my place. It has shipped but I haven’t seen it yet. I have also not seen an option for download at either iTunes or Amazon yet either.

You can, however, preorder the full length LP from Man or Astro-Man? from Chunklet now. You can get it in black or clear vinyl or there is a T-shirt bundle as well with the clear vinyl. You can also get the download from Amazon or iTunes.

The Rilo Kiley B sides album has been released. You can get it on download, CD or double vinyl. I have seen that there is also a version of the vinyl that comes with the CD and a limited cassette with tracks that can only be found on the cassette and nowhere else. It is interesting but I am not that interested in the group.

Here we go...




Phisical versions have yet to be released but you can get the download of the album now at iTunes or Amazon or any other etailer for that matter. This is the groups ninth long awaited album. The album obviously features tracks from each of the three singles that were put out before the album was released (I still have yet to receive the third single but it is in the mail). It is an evolution and a step forward from what they have created in the past but still has the original building blocks that the group started with. The album is $17.99 whether you get black or clear. There is also a bundle that comes with the clear version and a T-shirt. You save a dollar on the bundle.

This is what Chunklet has for the write up on the preorder page, “Man or Astro-Man? have returned to earth for the human masses and after years of hibernation they are now unveiling their finest recorded work to date. It has been nearly 12 years since the band last released their intergalactic sonic wave forms, and the new album, Defcon 5...4...3...2...1 is here now with a striking validity that the band is unquestionably as both tuneful and energetic as they ever have been. The record combines ever-familiar Astro audio tones and the well-established playing ferocity that MOAM? are known for, but yet now, there is an undeniably evolution to the band that is both intuitive, logical and well crafted. Defcon is here and is here with imminent purpose.”

The album features five songs from the three singles.

From Vol. 3 Episode 48, “…The first track is called Communication Breakdown Part II, as of this point there is no part one to this song. The group likes to make titles of songs like this. For example, on their last full length album, A Spectrum of Infinite Scale, they have the title of a song called: Obligatory Part 2 Song In Which There Is No Presently Existing Part 1, Nor The Plans To Make One. I can only assume that there will be no part one to Communication Breakdown Part II. The song starts with an electronic wind down. The song kicks in at a low point in the wind down. It seems like a slower song and sort of drags along. Surprisingly this song has lyrics. There was also a track with lyrics on the previous album. This means that the full length will have two tracks with lyrics on it. This has been a rarity in the past. Maybe there will be more than just the two tracks on the album that will have lyrics? Anyway, the song is about losing contact with head quarters via their only contact, the radio. It is a simple song, not their best, but a good song still. I think that the music, when they include lyrics, suffers a little and becomes not so interesting. Maybe if they had a extra person dedicated to lyrics and other instruments it could work. On the other hand, I really like what Starcrunches (Lead guitarist and vocalist) voice sounds like when he does sing.

The second song on the single is called All Systems To Go. I really like the soft tones that are used to start this song out. They remind me of the racing video games that I played in the 80s. It is a soft beep, beep, beep, beep where the last beep is in a higher tone to signal start. Coco The Electronic Monkey Wizard (the bass player) uses the electronic vocalizer that they have used in the past to get the words for this song. The system says the title of the song, All Systems To Go, along with other words that seem unintelligible with the music playing over the top. I think that it may be counting down from nine but I am not sure. The song is very interesting but kind of mellow for the group. I would think that this song and the previous song were written at about the same time because they have a similar flow. I have done this in the past. What I mean is that I have written a song and still have other ideas that I want to get out at the same time. This leads to two songs that have a similar feel but are still different music.”

From Vol. 3 Episode 35, “The first song on this single is called Defcon 5. The song starts out with an analog saw tooth wave and crashes into the song. It isn’t a hard smack you in the face song. It is a steady surf track that pushes the listener along on a smooth ride. The new member of the group, Avona Nova, adds so much to this track with out even trying. There is a special flourish that happens on the verse part that I love. Avonas’ playing is the only way that this could have happened. There are no words on this track but I think I like it even more than the other stuff they have put out. This could be because it is just new music though.

The second song that is on this single is called Anti-Matter Man. This is one of the few tracks with lyrics that the band has put out. This track is faster than Defcon 5. There is something special about Starcrunchs’ vocals in general. I am sure that he doesn’t like to sing and that is why there are so few tracks with vocals that the group has put out. Maybe this is why they mean so much to me. The songs with vocals also seem to be simpler in composition when they have lyrics but I actually like it that way. I also know how difficult it is to play and sing at the same time. All I can say is Go Starcrunch Go!”

The fifth track that comes from the single series that is also on this album is called Disintegrate. This song features guest vocals by Liz Durrett who is a folk styled artist. She gives a different flair on the track. This is another vocal track for MOAM? The track is very hard hitting and enjoyable. I think that this track is as close as they have ever gotten to a pop track that could be played on commercial radio. It is very cool so see the changes that have been made over the twelve year hiatus. I hope that this means that they will continue to make music in the future but with out a twelve year gap on the next album.



This is the fifth album from the group. It was released in 1988. This has been one of the album that I have been after from my late 80s list. I found it a while ago but haven’t made the time to talk about it yet. I really only wanted it for the song Perfect World. I liked that song a lot when I was in school. I had no idea that there were five singles, including Perfect World, that were released from this album. After having time to listen to the album I have found that I like most if not all of the album. I think it should have gotten more credit than it has. It did break the top twenty (Number 11) in the charts but I think it is a better album than that.

The first single from the album was Perfect world. The song is about people believing that we live in a perfect world but still knowing that this world is not perfect. It is a hard one to wrap your mind around if you think about it too much. It is classic late 80s pop in my opinion and, because of the movie Back To The Future, I had been subjected to the group repetitively through the radio. To hear new music from the group was a good thing and made me like them even more.

The second single from the album was Small World (Part One). This is the first song on the album. I think it is the synth/keys that really date this style of music. Those sounds made the mid to late 80s. It is not a bad thing; it just means I need to be in the right mood to listen to the music. It is so cheesy, even the guitar parts and horn parts are dated. I still like the music. It is still very creative just dated.

The third single from the album is called Give Me The Keys(And I’ll Drive You Crazy). I like the chorus with the tongue in cheek title written into it. It is funny the first few times you hear it. I had never heard this song until I bought the full album. It kind of reminds me of something from the Beverly Hills Cop movie. I am not sure if that was what they were going for but that is what I feel about the song. The lyrics remind me of something that The Cars would have written. It is a lot of fun and I am happy to have the track.

The fourth single is called World To Me. It is the slow jam from the album. This is really cliche for 80s bands to do; put out a few good rockers, then but out a heart felt slow song so that the kids at the school dances can get together. There were no regulations for school dances in my district. I would dance cheek to cheek with who ever I was dating at the time. It was really the only way to get that close to a girl when I was that young. I still hated the slow jams though when I listened to music at home.

The last single from this album is called Walking With TheKid. This was a moderate rocker with guitar and bass driving the track. It is a cute song about father and son having a great time getting into odd situations but keeping it clean at the same time. It is a fun song but did not chart well because it wasn’t really common in what people wanted to hear in a song.

It is a great album if you haven’t heard it you should give it a try.
 
That is all I have for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment