Saturday, May 11, 2013

Vol. 4 Episode 19



Vampire Weekend has a new album called Modern Vampires Of The City coming out this Tuesday. XL Recordings had a limited white vinyl edition available from their web store.

Daft punk also have an album coming out in the next two weeks called Random Access Memories.

Here we go...


This is technically the fourth album that the duo has put out, if you count the Christmas album that they put out that is. I don’t usually count Christmas albums though. This was released on May 7, 2013 through Merge Records. You can get the album as a download, CD, Vinyl or cassette. The first 500 units of vinyl in the USA were pressed on what the label calls robins egg blue.  I have a copy of this colored vinyl and it is more like blue and white marble. In the UK/EU the limited version was pressed in peach.I am a fan of 7” singles and am very disappointed that Merge have not released any yet for this album. There were two from the second album and one from their first. I like the B sides the most. Even if they put out some CD singles I would still be happy with that.

There are fourteen songs on this album and only one single has been released from it as of yet. There is a second track that is available to listen to on Soundcloud though. Of the fourteen songs on the album Zooey Deschanel has written eleven of them. The remaining three are cover songs. Over all, this album is a blast to listen to. I liked the first to albums but this one is even better. There is something bouncy and happy with this album that wasn’t present on the last two. Like I said, I like all three albums but this one is somehow better than the last two.

The first single released from the album is called Never Wanted Your Love. It has a fun rock beat with strings in the background. I think that the bass line is a lot of fun too. The guitar is very sparse on the track but it reminds me of some of the music from France in the 70s. It is a very fun song with intelligent lyrics.

The song that is up on Soundcloud and Youtube now is called I Could’ve Been Your Girl. This track smacks of late 50s rock with a good current beat. There is still something about the guitar work that is special in this song too. It is a sweet song that all the young teens, especially the girls, should love. The song is so pop but indie pop so the cool kids in school can still keep their indie credit.

I just hope that M. Ward and Zooey Deschanel continue to make this great music. I understand that M. Ward has a solo career too but this music is so good.


This EP was put out in spring of 2005. It was named after the groups sound engineer who worked with them during the 2004 tour. This was their last release with Barsuk Records. This was a difficult EP to find when it was released but with time it has become easier to find.

The first track on the EP is from The Photo Album and is called We Laugh Indoors. The song is easy to swallow with the repetitive line, “I loved you Guinevere, I loved you…”

The second track that I liked from the album is called Why You’d Want To Live Here. It is about LA and comes from The Photo Album as well. The song has a good steady beat that doesn’t really change through the song.

The third track from this EP, Lightness, comes from Transatlanticism. It is a good song that is exceptionally slow. I do like the song though because of Ben Gibbards use of ululations in the song. It makes the song just a little bit more special.

The next song is called Photobooth. This song comes from a previous studio EP called The Death Cab for Cutie Forbidden Love EP. Most fans call this one the Forbidden Love EP though. You can hear a small part of the crowd scream when the song starts up. Those are the super fans because they bought the EP and know this somewhat rare track.

The next track is also from Transatlanticism and is called We Looked Like Giants. It is an extended version of the track as it was recorded live.

405 is a track from the album We Have The Facts And We’re Voting Yes. It is a guitar driven track without anything else except vocals from Ben. It is a nice track but simple.

The last song on the EP is called Blacking Out The Friction/Brand New Love. I found myself mesmerized by the second half of the song and I couldn’t figure out why. After listening to the EP for a couple of days it dawned on me. Brand New Love was originally recorded by Sebadoh and released in 1992 on the album Smash Your Head On The Punk Rock. This, however, is not where I recognized the song from. Two years before this EP was released an album by the electronic metal band Deadsy had a cover of this song on their album called Commencement. I loved this heavy version of the song so much. To go back to a different lighter cover of the song was very interesting indeed and it is a live version of the song to boot. This song seems to work well in both environments. I am happy to have heard and now have a copy of both of these cover versions of this song.




This is one of the many 7” singles that Man or Astro-Man? (MOAM?) have released. This two track single was released in 1995. This record was released by a record store in Tempe, AZ called East Side Records. The original cover was misprinted as simply Haystack along with other text in the wrong font and size of text. The label on the center of the record also had some text errors. The B side track was incorrect. It was supposed to be credited to Supernova but was misspelled as Supernove. The “S” on the record company title was also cut off on all versions of the record where it read East Side Recrods. There are also some units that are paired with mismatched sleeves or records. Some have corrected sleeve but still errors on the record or vice versa. I have the copy that has the most correct information. I would love to get my hands on a text error record and sleeve but am not interested in spending an arm and a leg to do so.

The A side of the record has a song called Radio Fission. This track was reworked and later released on Experiment Zero as Television Fission. The song obviously has the same feel as the EZ rework of the song. It is fast fun and slightly dark. I love the tones of the lead guitar that is used.

The B side was a cover of a track from Supernova called Calling Hong Kong. I have no idea what the original song sounds like from Supernova. This version reminds me of something that would come from a Saturday morning cartoon from when I was a kid though and that I exactly what I love about the song. I could get even more specific and say that it reminds me of the cartoon work of the likes of Gigantor or The Justice League from the 70s.

Even if I don’t ever get a copy of the single with the errors, it is still about the music and I like these two tracks a lot.

That is all I have for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment