Friday, March 26, 2010

Episode 27

I have been dying over the song from the commercial for the new Kia Sorento. I also found out that my Mother-in-law was too. She asked me to find out what the name of the song was. I couldn’t search when she asked because we were out shopping at the time. When I got home I did a frantic search of the internets to find out who the artist was. My first search was that it was some R&B group from the mid 20th century. I immediately knew that was wrong because most car commercials today are using new indie songs in them. I did some further research and found that the group and album were called The Heavy – The House That Dirt Built and the song was of course called How You Like Me Now? I quickly through together an email with this information and sent it off to her. Then since I was interested in the group (they are played on my favorite radio station 89.3 The Current) I did a search of my favorite preview sites and found a copy of the album. I have listened to it a few times now and find it very interesting and eclectic. The album has hints of alternative, R&B and funk. It is quite enjoyable.

I recently downloaded, from Amazon, the album Them Crooked Vultures – “S/T” (self titled). I have been interested in getting the album but not super keen on getting it. I got an informational from Amazon that this album, as a download, was on sale for $3.99. I couldn’t pass that up, so, I bought it. I have listened to it a few times now. It does get a bit long for me. The musicality in this album is super fantastic. What would you expect for a super group though? The group is made up of Dave Grohl – Drums (Nirvana/The Foo Fighters), Josh Homme – Vocals/Guitar (Eagles Of Death Metal/Queens Of The Stone Age) and John Paul Jones – Bass (Led Zeppelin). As you would guess the music has a definite old skool 70s influence. It is actually a very engaging album but like I said earlier it does get to be a little long. For me, it is very cool to hear that classic sound resurrected into a new rock sound. I think that Homme’s vocals lend to a near Robert Plant style of vocals. Personally, I really like anything that Grohl does. I like the way his drumming sounds and the music that he writes with the Foo too. This is destined to be a great rock album, for me anyway.

I listened to Kings of Leon – Only By Night a few days ago. I actually got this album on vinyl from my Father-in-law for Christmas in 2008. I don’t do well with family and holidays much. I am not sure what it is or at least am not willing to go into it here. Any way, I was not really interested in the album when it first came out. After opening it I knew I was going to take it back and get something else. I ended up getting a repressing of the Spoon – Girls Can Tell on vinyl and a used copy of Death Cab For Cutie – Plans. The funny thing is that one year later I bought the Kings of Leon LP again. But because I got it from my Father-in-law last year we wrapped this one up and wrote on it from 2008 Christmas and gave it to him to give to me again. We all had a good laugh with that one. Consequently, I loved the Death Cab album and bought that on vinyl too. My Father-in-law got my CD copy of that Death Cab album as well. The KOL album is not the greatest album ever but with all the singles that came off of it, to me, it would be a crime not to own it.

I listened to Joy Division – The Best Of Joy Division. I own both of the albums that this band put out on vinyl but some of my favorite songs from the group are not on either of the albums. They are found on this best of album though. The group put out some 45 only singles and they happen to be some of the best work that this group has done. Two tracks stand out the most for me. The first is Love Will Tear Us Apart. I remember listening to this song on the radio as a kid. I was 5 when this song was released. It made that much of an impression on me that 25 years later I searched for the song again. The other song is called Dead Souls. I first heard this song while watching the movie The Crow. Nine Inch Nails did a cover of this song for the movie. I loved the movie so much that I bought the soundtrack. It wasn’t until 2008 that I found out that this was a cover. I thought that the NIN version was theirs. When I found out that it was a cover I started doing some research on Joy Division. I was just in time because both of the albums that the band did were being repressed on vinyl. I bought them and the best of album. They were all that I listened to for a month after I bought them.

Here is getting around to Weezer – Weezer (The Red Album). I did not really give this album a chance when I bought it. My wife did not really get into it because there are some high pitched squeals in some of the songs at low level listening. I don’t usually listen at low levels but I happen to only listen to this album when we got it with her. She was not so into the album because of the noises and it was an album for us. So, I put the album away and forgot about it. I had a friend at work who just raves about this album. He always tells me that it is the best album that they have put out. In no way could I agree with him because I loved Pinkerton the instant I purchased it. I think that he put so much hype on the album that I had no interest in listening to it any more. Then came the Sound Opinions that had Rivers on the show. This spiked my curiosity once again for The Red Album (they talked about it on the show). I vowed to give it a second chance. I did get around to listening to the album (finally, I know). It is actually a good album. I don’t enjoy it as much as their latest, Rattitude, but I think I still have a bitter taste from the guy at work.

Well, that is all I have for now.

Signing off

2 comments:

  1. How can I listen to it and see if I like more than that one song?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moms, I will make a copy of it for you.

    ReplyDelete