Thursday, March 4, 2010

Episode 25

Wow, 25 already.

I am switching time schedules and positions at work starting Monday. I am switching from 8PM - 1AM to 2:30AM – 7AM. This means that I may be starting to post more regularly as I will have a little time in the morning before I go to sleep/when I get home from work. We will see what happens.

Anyway, I have listened to a few noteworthy albums recently. I have really enjoyed them immensely. But before we get to that, why is it that whenever I see used copies of Led Zep. Albums they are always so beat up? I saw all 4 albums that I was missing from them used on vinyl. They were not super beat up but it was defiantly enough that I would be very mad at my self for spending about 20 bucks for all four of them. They were deep short gouges that would make at least 1 track on each record not playable. It is so frustrating because I really love the music that they made and I can not find the albums on vinyl anywhere. I don’t care if they are repressed or used, I just want them on vinyl the way that they were originally meant to be heard (IMO). I did find a few of their albums used in good condition in the past so I guess that it is a matter of waiting to find them. It is just so frustrating to come across them and not be able to get them because whoever had them before me did not know how to take care of a record.

I recently learned that Family Force 5 contributed a new track to the new Alice In Wonderland: Almost Alice soundtrack. I looked into this a little bit further and found that this track is only found on the special Hot Topic version. The album is just under 10 bucks but I just can’t see spending 10 bucks for 1 track. I did some research on the net and found a 20 track promo copy. All of the tracks are MP3 at 192kbps. Defiantly subpar for what I consider a good sound. I haven’t listened to the album yet but I will defiantly put forth an effort to purchase the album if I think that it is good.

I am slowly falling in love with the latest OK Go - Of The Blue Colour Of The Sky. It is completely different from the previous 2 albums that they have released. Gone are the sugar coated happy pop songs. They have been replaced with thought provoking sounds that just strike your heart with new unexpected sounds from the group. I am very happy that they took a bit of a break to regroup and create new sounds and concepts. I was actually a little bit afraid with the track that they contributed to the New Moon soundtrack. But it turns out that this track was a lead in to what they were actually working on and it is a welcomed turn from what they had bee creating.

I found a few 80s albums that I am very excited about. Not all of them that are listed are from the 80s but you should know what albums are from the 80s right?

First off, I purchased a new copy of Michael Jackson – Bad. It is a Holland import. The company remixed the album and added a bonus track on the end. I was so excited that I skipped cleaning the record (I ran out of replacement sleeves). It was just as I remembered it only better because it is on vinyl. I originally owned this album on cassette tape and listened to I a lot (I have never listened to a cassette often enough to kill the tape).

I also finely listened to Man or Astro-man? – Is It Man or Astro-man? It is a lot mellower than their following albums. There is a track on the album that showcases sound bits from one of my favorite pinball machines. My friend actually owns this machine and I am very excited to have him listen to the track. I really like this album and think that I would listen to it more frequently than the other albums that I own from them.

I recently purchased used Corey Heart – First Offense. I loved the single off this album when I was growing up but that is all it was, a single. There was never any other song off this album that was heard on the radio. I started the album and the first track was I Wear My Sunglasses At Night. I was so nostalgic when that song came on then the following tracks were just like “this is what the rest of the album is?” It wasn’t disappointing but it was not that great either.

I also listened to Stereotyperider – Songs In The Key Of F And U. I was not expecting much from this album and I was pleasantly surprised by it as well. This is the brown with yellow splatter vinyl that I got for my birthday. I can’t say that there was a stand out track on the album because I have only listened to the album once through but I did like the album enough to be happy to have spent the money on it.

I also purchased Fine Young Cannibals (FYC) – The Raw & The Cooked. I found this cheap for 2 bucks. I remember hearing the 2 singles off this album while I was in middle school. I liked them and wanted to get the album at some point but did not expect to get it in my mid 30s. It is a very good album and anybody in search of 80s music should get it.

I got Kajagoogoo – White Feathers at the same time. It was also 2 bucks. When I listened to this album and fell in love with it. It is wonderful. I can’t even think of words to exemplify how much I like this album.

I also got Twisted Sister – Stay Hungry on that purchase. I loved the 2 singles off this album too. This was when MTV was hitting it big. I remember the videos for them very well. It probably helps that I saw the video for We’re Not Gonna Take It somewhat recently. The album as a whole is fair but those 2 singles are absolutely fantastic!!

Recently NPR did a first listen for the upcoming release of Gorillaz – Plastic Beach. I spent just under an hour listening to the stream of the album while I surfed the net (what else am I going to do right?). I came to realize that there were maybe a couple of songs out of the 16 tracks on the album that I did not really like that much. I am very excited for this albums release and have been a big fan of the fictitious group since their first album

Signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment