Thursday, May 29, 2014

Vol. 5 Episode 22



The Oh Hellos are coming back to my home town. Tickets are cheap so I may be going.

You can pre-order the new Linkin Park album at Best Buy.

As I mentioned in my last post, the new Family Force 5 album is up for pre-sale on their web page and digitally at your favorite etailer.

Here we go...



This is My Chemical Romance (MCR) second album. It was released in 2004 and repressed on limited red vinyl in 2008. The vinyl also came with a few extra goodies such as a sticker insert and the dueling guns logo as a stencil. The group signed with Reprise Records before releasing this record. The group had been dubbed Screamo at this point based on their first albums offerings but was much more than that in terms of genre. They used elements of emo but also used elements from metal, pop and punk music. This is an album that helped me through a tough time in my life with its dark themes and somewhat self help styling’s.

There were four singles released from this album. The first is the song I’m Not Okay (I Promise). The songs lyrics appear to be about a boy that is in love with a girl who already has a boyfriend. He is trying his best to be friends at the very lease with her but still trying to get her to be his girl. This issue is causing him to fall into a sever depression and is causing her to have great concern for him. In the chorus he continually tells her that he is OK but it slips out every once in a while that he is not OK. The music is high intensity to match the intense depression that is going on in the story. This is my favorite song on the album and marks a major depressive state in my adulthood that I went through. This is why it is my favorite song.

The second single from the album is called Thank You For TheVenom. This release was for Europe only. I had no idea that this was even released as a single until I did this research. The song has a cool sounding crispy distorted lead guitar sound. The vocals are very smooth with the exception of the accent points where they are pushed to distortion. The song appears to be about someone that continually does bad things. The person that loves him even though he does these bad things wants him to stop. He knows that he is doing bad things but can’t stop. He is willing to let her kill him because he is conflicted to a degree. The story is left open and we never actually know what the result is though.

The third single is called Helena. The song describes the lead singer’s feelings toward his late grandmother. The group considers this song as their root sound and as such was typically played as the last song of a concert. It also helped that a big part of the chorus the lyrics were sang, “So long and good night.” The song is good and has the sound style of loud soft loud, appealing to fans of post-punk of the 90s.

The last single from the album is called The Ghost of You. The song deals with the idea of fear of loss. The video for the song hit home for me more than anything else. The video is of an army scene that resembles the beaches on D-Day. There are also scenes that hearken back to the time before the invasion at a USO dance to blow off some steam. The song is good but is made even better with the video. I am not sure that the song would have taken off as well as it did with out the video.

This is a great album filled with hard emotion. It is the perfect album for someone who is dealing with loss or is in a depressed state and can’t seem to get out of it. It is a great album overall but not one that I want to listen to if I am not in either of those moods.

This is the new single from the new album called Upside Out or Hungry Ghosts from OK Go. The info on the track digitally for the album name is Upside Out. The band has called the album Hungry Ghosts on the internet. The album name could still change apparently. The band put this out to early pledgers on their Pledgemusic page. It appears to be track two on the album but since it is not finished yet this could change. The song smacks of early 80s sounds from Joy Division/New Order (Yes, I know that Joy Division never really made it past the 70s but posthumous tracks were released in the 80s).  The song is bass guitar lead with the guitars and synth adding to the songs background. The vocals are almost on the same level as the bass, just a little bit above the bass. This is a really great track that pays homage to a couple of my favorite bands. I can’t wait to get my hands on this album.


This is a split 7” record that I got in my craze to get all things Eternal Summers. I thought that it was out of print. Well, I guess that you could say that it is out of print but the record company, Funny/Not Funny Records, still has copies. I ordered directly from them to get a copy. I was confused when I started looking for this because Kanine Records has the graphic up on their page. I had to find the accurate information about what company put out the record on Discogs. I also found that there were 300 pressed on black 7” vinyl and that it was released way back in 2011.

There are four tracks and two bands on this record. The first side has two tracks from a band called The Super Vacations and the second side has two tracks from Eternal Summers. The first song on the A side is called Picnic. I get the feeling that this song sounds like The Rolling Stones back in their early days. That is the music is supposed to sound like that, the vocals just sound off. I am not sure if that is their thing or what. The music is great but the vocals don’t match the music tonality.

The second track is called Beer League. This song has the exact same problems and bright spots as the first track. The music is brilliant but the vocals are just wrong. The music has that cool garage rock sound but the vocals are just not in tune with the music. If this is what they were going for and they always sound like this I won’t be pursuing them.

On the B side, the Eternal Summers side, the fist track is a soft rocker called On My Honor. This harkens back to the sounds of any year really. There have always been slow soft rock songs being released by female lead groups. I really like that this song could have been released at any point in the past rock years. My first thought was that of the 70s and then as I listened to it I heard drops of the 90s and even the 00s when I didn’t really listen to female groups. The song crosses all those boundaries and sounds great doing it too.

The last track on this record is called Half The Time (Stripped Down Version). The funny thing is that I can’t seem to find a studio version of this track. That means that this is the only version of this track, stripped down or no. I thought it was kind of a funny but curious way to title a song. Anyway, the song is dreamy and sleepy but very sweet. It is one of those songs that belongs in a sleeping playlist. I like it a lot.

This is a 7” record that was released earlier this year on Steady Sounds Records. It is a 45 RPM Mono record. Not many records are released in mono any more. This record was pressed to 300 copies and early copies have a “Prmotional Copy Not For Sale” stamp on the label. For what ever reason I bought one copy and got two. I am not complaining. It is always nice to have two.

Both of the tracks on this record can be found on the demo cassette that I got directly from the band. The A side track is Make It Mine. The vocals are just a smidge distorted on the high end giving the vocals that bite. The guitar is classic with a sound that reminds me of the cheap guitars that The Rolling Stones used. The drums are super simple but do a fantastic job of elevating the music. I can’t bring my self to focus on the vocals because the music is so fantastic.

The B side track is called Movin’ On. This track can also be found on the demo cassette. This song is a bit smoother than the A side. I also think that the chorus is catchier than Make It Mine. I could see this track as a radio single over the A side. The super viby sound on the guitar part makes this song smack of the 70s flower power sound. I like what this track sounds like mainly because of that guitar sound.


This one is a 7” record released earlier this year on Hidden Volume Records. This one is a 45 RPM record in stereo. The sleeve for this record was specially screen printed and the record was only pressed to 300 copies. The music on this record has been called blistering. I call it fantastic and maybe over the top but fun 60s styled garage rock for sure. Both tracks can also be found on the demo cassette.

The A side of this record is called Sick and Tired. The song is just slightly distorted all around. It just gives the song that crispy fried sound, like they pushed all of the levels just past where they should have been. It is not that the song doesn’t have dynamics, it does, it is that sound where nearly everything is almost too loud though. It is good and has a great hook.

The B side, Cut Me Down, is my least favorite song from the group. It is slow and that is hard to listen to when every other song is whirlwind fast. I guess this allows me to focus on the lyrics a bit more. The song appears to be about a rough neck boy who likes a clean cut girl but all the clean cut boys want to date her. This makes him sick and as much as he likes her he can’t even approach her. It is a good song but a drag that it is the only slow song on the cassette.

If you're interested in what The Ar-Kaics have to offer, check out their Bandcamp page.

I can’t wait for Windian Records to put out this LP record. It is taking them so long to get it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment