Friday, May 9, 2014

Vol. 5 Episode 18



Flowers will have a new full length album coming out on Kanine Records at some point in the future. This is why the new song was on the Non Violent Femmes compilation album.

A new band called Camera Shy has signed on with Run For Cover Records. The group features the ex-singer from Whirr along with members of Nothing and Whirr. No information about a release as of yet.

You can listen to the full new album from The Pains of Being Pure At Heart called Days of Abandon on YouTube now.

OK Go will have a new album out this year along with a tour to support the album. You can get your preorder on now at pledgemusic.com

Spoon will also have a new album out this year. This is why they will be at Rock The Garden this year.

I have also heard that Joanna Gruesome will have something new from Slumberland Records in the near future.

Those of you who have contributed to the Sea Wolf album last winter, the artwork has been completed and the download will be released this Wednesday.

On with the short show...


This is the first album from Eternal summers. This album was released in 2010 through Kanine Records. The album came with a download card. They don’t seem to hit that surf feel with this album. It is still a very good album. It is more of a fun indie rock female lead group. Overall this album is pretty mellow. It has a good beat and moves along well but has a mellow vibe that makes me feel warm inside. It is a album to be listened to on a lazy summer day.

Because it was released in 2010 and I only just recently got the album I have no idea what the singles should have been from the album. There doesn’t seem to be any documentation of an official single released from the album. I will just highlight a few songs that I like from the album because of this.

The first track that I really like from the album is called I Know Now. It is one of the faster paced songs on the album. The guitar picking is a lot of fun and it makes me want to work on picking myself. If a song makes me want to play something like this I think it is a pretty good track. The chorus has the guitar strummed and fits the song for a good change from the picking.

The next track that I liked from the album is called Running High. The song starts out with staccato chords. It makes me feel good with the dead air between the drums and the guitar. When the lyric come in the chords are strummed but they are allowed to ring out instead of a continuous strum. it is a great contrast to the opening staccato intro. This is probably my favorite song from the album.

The last song I want to talk about from the album is called Salty. This is the slowest track on the album. It has a lounge music kind of a feel to it. The chord progression is sweet and makes me relax feeling like life is good even if I am having a tough day.

This is a great album with lots of feelings across the composition. Give it a go, you won’t be disappointed.


This is the first album from Withered Hand. It was released in 2012 in the UK on a couple of different record companies and on Absolutely Kosher Records in the US. The album seems to push Christian values as Dan Wilson, lead singer for the group, was raised as an evangelical Christian through his life. The vocals on the album have kind of a whiney aspect to them. This somehow adds to the personality of the music instead of detracting from it. It is mainly an acoustic album, using instruments such as a banjo and a pump organ. This gives the album a down to earth feel musically even though he sings about Christian beliefs and values.

I really like the track New Dawn. It is fast paced and keeps my interest more so than the frist half of the record ever could. It uses eighth note chords strummed through the whole song. There are additions of violin and backing vocals. The drums even cut out at one point in the song. The songs’ ending is fitting with all of the instruments just cutting out very abruptly.

The only other track that I have any real interest in is called No Cigarettes. The song has a good fold style with a beat that keeps the song moving. I like the use of the banjo over the top of the guitar in the song. The drums are used very sparingly. There is also an upright stringed instrument used. It is a fair song but not the best.

I can’t say that this is a good album in any way. He later found his stride in the singles that followed this album. The second album works so much better than this one.

That is all I have for this week...

No comments:

Post a Comment