Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Vol. 5 Episode 5.5



Graveface Roadshow at the Triple Rock Social Club in Minneapolis MN on 2-25-2014.

I got tickets to this show, like I always do, early. I was very excited to see The Stargazer Lilies but disappointed that Dott was not going to be a part of the line up until after this show. I would have loved to have seen them too.

We got to the venue with just enough time to check out the merchandise booth just as Dreamend started their set. I looked through the music that was for sale but found nothing that I needed. There were a few items that I had interest in but had not listened to the music enough to say that I wanted to buy it. I could always get it later from the Graveface web page. There were about 50 people or less. It was cold out but I also hoped that there would have been more people at the show. It is too bad that there were not. I really want Graveface to succeed.

The bands that were on the bill for the show were Dreamend, The Stargazer Lilies, Grandma’s Boyfriend and The Casket Girls. Dreamend had a short set and consisted of a drummer that was used in not only this band but also for The Stargazer Lilies and The Casket Girls, a bassist who was also the guitarist for The Stargazer Lilies and played bass for a song with The Casket Girls and Jason Graveface on lead vocals and guitar. The sound of this group smacked of The Marshmallow Ghosts but with out the Halloween theme. This is probably because it is basically the same band. I think that Dreamend is missing something without that theme though.

The Stargazer Lilies were up next. The group consisted of the basist, on the guitar (J Cep), and the drummer from Dreamend, along with K Field on bass and lead vocals. I find it amazing that they can make such dreamy sounds with just the guitar, bass and drums. They played a 40 minute set with eight songs. I was a little disappointed that there was no echo on the vocals. They came off kind of flat with out that extra sound. It also seemed like K Field couldn’t hear herself in the monitor very well because she was off pitch frequently in the songs. I know that she can sing because the record sounds fantastic. putting that one issue aside that set was great and I am happy to have been there to see them play. I wish that there was a single that was put out because I would have had them sign one. I hate bringing a 12” sleeve because they are so big. There wasn’t any music from them for sale or I would have thought about buying another copy really.

The third band in the show was called Grandma’s Boyfriend. They were a cross between Devo and Blondie. They were so much fun! They were pop and new wave and punk all rolled into one. I think that it is the worst band name but one of the most fun bands that I have ever had the privilege to hear. I would totally go and see them again if they came back to the twin cities. They are a five piece group with a female vocalist. There is no synth in the group but they were able to make sounds with guitars that come off as synth. I always find that to be such a cool sound. The vocalist danced around the small stage like she was in the crowd but knew the songs well enough that she got to the mic in time to keep singing. It was awesome. I think they were the best group on the bill that night.

Last was The Casket Girls. I have heard music from this group on the internet in the past and didn’t really think much of them. The band consists of Jason Graveface on keyboards and back up vocals, the drummer from Dreamend and Elsa and Phaedra Greene (sisters) on lead vocals. The music that was played was OK but it was very distracting that the girls couldn’t stay in tune or together. This didn’t help the fact that I wanted to be won over and be shown that I was wrong about what they sounded like based on the music that I had heard on the internet. It is to bad that I was right and I will never be interested in any thing that they put out.

It was still a great time at the show. Thanks to Jason and all of the bands that were a part of the show; Dreamend, The Stargazer Lilies, Grandma’s Boyfriend and The Casket Girls for playing and for The Triple Rock Social Club for having them.


The Stargazer Lilies set list:
Don’t Waist My Time
Fukitol
Sad Colored Tears
We Are The Dreamers
Endless Days
Sunday Is Monday At Midnight
How We Lost
Well Versed to Verb Doubt

No comments:

Post a Comment