Friday, February 7, 2014

Vol. 5 Episode 3



Just got in the limited (300 pressings) 7” from Veronica Falls. This is the release that was supposed to be put out in December. It finally got to my house on the 4th of February. It is a very simple release. the sleeve is a black & white photo copied 14” by 14” sheet folded down to 7” by 7” to fit in a 7” outer sleeve with the record in a paper sleeve inside of the poster. There is also a stamp in red ink on the back of the poster with a hand written number on the back out of 300. I have the download so I don’t really need to play the record but wanted you all to know that they are coming in the mail now.

Slumberland has now got the preorders up for the repressing of the Tony Molina album on red vinyl and the preorders are up for the Withered Hand album. The withered hand album will be pressed on gold and brown swirl. There is also a bundle you can get of the Withered Hand first and second albums together.

Beck has put out a second single from the upcoming album called Waking Light.

I also found out that there is a single for the song Horseshoe on the new Withered Hand album out on Fortuna Pop! If you can find one it is on Gold vinyl.

Here we go...



This is the second album from the duo known as Broken Bells. The album was released this week on the 4th of February. The first single from the album was released in November of 2013, although, I didn’t hear the song until the end of December. I think it took a few listens before I decided that I liked the track. I think that this will be the way with the whole album. I have listened to the album one time through. I really like the single but there are some cheesy sounds that are being used on some of the songs. The first track, Perfect World, for example, uses what sounds like a cheap Casio synthesized trumpet sound. I have never been a fan of that sound as it is so fake I can taste it. I think that the album will get better with time like most Radiohead albums.

The first single, Holding On For life, has a good beat. This was really expected though with Danger Mouse doing the programming. The bass guitar has a very smooth picked style almost like that of Stereolab. There is also a synth sound that was used quite a bit in the 80s synth pop sound. It is really a sound that I have missed honestly. This is what needed to grow on me. I wasn’t sure if I was ready for that sound to be brought back. I have realized that I missed that sound and am happy for it to have returned. The guitars are typical for this type of music right now. It is not watered down, it is just there to support the music.

I am excited to hear what other songs will be released from this album as singles. I am also excited to see if there will be any physical singles released. So far, no 7” singles from this album yet.


This is a collection of B side tracks, live tracks and acoustic tracks that were originally released on 7” singles. There was also a box set of these singles released on nine 7” records in a wood box if you’re interested in that. This is the easiest way to get these B sides though. I am not usually interested in live and acoustic tracks but I really like what they did with the Hold You Up 10” that was released for Record Store Day Black Friday 2012.  After listening to the album I was a little disappointed. I really like the melody that was on the three songs for the Hold You Up record but I found that this record was just not exactly what I wanted to hear from the group. It comes of as just noise in most songs. To play an acoustic fast just doesn’t always sound good.

The track that I have not heard in the past was good though. That track is called She Loves You. The song is a slower song but is very melodic. It kind of reminds me of something that could have been from The 59 Sound but is way to slow to have fit on the album. I am happy to have the song though.

I also kind of liked the cover of the Pearl Jam track, Stateof Love And Trust. The style of the vocals sung on this cover sort of floats between Eddy Vedders’ vocal style and Brian Fallon (the lead singer for The Gaslight Anthem). I am a fan of the older Pearl Jam music so this song keeps my interest.

There are five cover songs on this album, some are live and some are acoustic. Six of the tracks on the album are acoustic tracks. One of the tracks were recorded live (the Pearl Jam cover). That leaves four tracks that were recorded in a studio of some kind. This is an easy way to get all of those B side tracks that you missed out on when the single were originally released.


This was just released. The record company, Windian Records, still has the single listed as pre-order, it is so new. Both of the tracks on this single can be found on The Ar-kaics self released cassette. I bought it because I want to support this band. They have a retro 60s sound brought current.

The A Side, Why Should I?, continues in the complete 60s garage rock style and simplicity. It is a fun rockin song that smacks of early Beatles tracks. It is a song that is very easy to get along with.

The B side, Slave To Her Lies, follows in that 60s garage rock style but this one comes off as more Rolling Stones this time. It is very interesting how they take classic sounds and make them their own.

I believe there is going to be one more 7” single before the album will be released. Windian Records is having some troubles at the moment though so timing could be an issue. If you want to hear the songs head over to the bands' bandcamp page.
 

That is all I have for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment