Thursday, August 15, 2013

Vol. 4 Episode 33



The new Joanna Gruesome album called Weird Sister is up for preorder on the Slumberland Records page. The limited version is on pink and white swirl. It is very pretty. This is their first full length album release. Previous to this there was a single and a couple of other tracks on a compilation. The two tracks on the single are on this album. The other two can be found on the compilation called Family Portrait on Art Is Hard Records. The 7” version of this release is sold out but you can still get the CDr or download versions from their soundcloud site. I will be talking about both of these releases next week.

Slumberland is also running low on the yellow splatter version of the new Weekend album Jinx. Get them before they are gone. While you’re at it get a copy of the Red EP too!

Free for a limited time is the second single, Copy Of A, from Nine Inch Nails new album Hesitation Marks. You can get it from Amazon MP3. If you preordered the album directly from Nine Inch Nails web site you can get it there through your receipt.

The fourth album, Somnambulist, from abandoned pools is now available to purchase on CD. There are limited quantities and all have been signed and numbered as an extra bonus.

Veronica falls will be putting out another single in the coming months. The single will be for Broken Toy. I am very excited to hear a new B side!

Here we go...



This is the second album from Empire Of The Sun. It was released last June (2013). I was introduced to this group last Record Store Day through the Astralwerks Music In 20/20 box set. I thought the track that was included in the box set was very good. The song was the lead single from their first album. I read that they were going to have a new album out at the beginning of summer. I didn’t allocate the funds to get it until August. I am very happy that I did so. I will have to get the first album at some point in the future if it is as good as this one is. I sort of stayed away from it for a while too as there were many comparisons of this album to the new Daft Punk album. After being able to hear the both of them on their own separately I am happy to say that they are completely different and should not be compared to each other at all. Daft Punk has chosen a completely different rout from the usual EDM (Electronic Dance Music) music that has been coming out. This album from Empire of The Sun is more four on the floor. To me they are two different styles of music and really should not be compared. There was a trailer for the album that was produced by a division of Bad Robot. There was also a fictional story related to the album described a world that is looked over by an Emperor and a Prophet.

There has been officially only one single released from this album but they are on the verge of releasing a second very soon. The first single released from the album is called Alive. It is a very uplifting song with a crowd chant style chorus that sings, “Lovin’ every minute cause ya make me feel so alive!” The verse parts talk about little things that someone does to make someone feel good about being around them.

The second single to be released very soon is called DNA. This track is totally four on the floor. The vocals are a little more on the side of Passion Pits normal vocals. The synth part reminds me of early 2000s electronic music but it is a very cool track that is easy to dance to.

There are a few other stand out tracks I would like to mention as well. These may end up being future singles or not. We shall see.

I think that the title track, Ice On The Dune,  has the potential to be a single but would probably be released later than earlier if that were the case. I feel the same about awakening. It is a great song with big sounds but doesn’t quite that that hook that makes for a great single.

I’ll Be Around on the other hand has a great opening hook in the guitar. The chorus is just as good. They sing, “So I made up my mind, I will be around for a while.” The line is sung a few times with slight variation to the first part. Some of those variations are, “You can bet on your life, time after time, this time tonight” etc.

The song Old Flavours is totally single worthy. The bass line for the song is so awesome. It supports the whole song with multiple synth parts on top of the bass line. There is even a sound that is reminiscent of something that Fleetwood Mac had done in the 70s. It is just huge.

The last song that I really like from the album is called Surround Sound. It has a big bass sound that works well. The vocals are somewhat unintelligible but sonically make the song work with the bass line very well.

This is a good electronic album. If you’re interested in electronic music then give it a shot. If your not then give it a pass.

Man or Astro-Man? / Huevos Rancheros – The Various Boss Sounds From Beyond The Far Reaches…And Them Some!

This is a split single released in 1994 on Get Hip Records. It features two tracks from both Man or Astro-Man? (MOAM) and Huevos Rancheros. This is one of the last few items that I am missing from my collection of MOAM music. I was lucky enough to find this 7” record in the rare color of Coke bottle clear green. It looks very cool. The outer sleeve for this release is just heavy card stock folded over. The inside of the card stock has printed a listing of other releases from Get Hip Records. It is an advertisement for the company really. The plastic sleeve that the record came in has a pink sticker that reads Color Vinyl.

Man or Astro-Man? contributed the two tracks called A MouthFull Of Exhaust and Rovers. I always thought that A Mouth Full Of Exhaust was cute because of the coughing that happens in the middle of the song. At the same time it is cool because of the references to racing or driving fast. It makes me think of what it may have been like for my father who grew up during that time where cars and cruising were the thing to do in your off time. Rovers on the other hand was kind of a spacey styled song with an interesting sound clip that is heard a few times during the song. A mouth Full Of Exhaust can be found on Destroy All Astromen. Rovers can be found on either of the Australian releases; What Remains Inside A Black Hole or Beyond The Black Hole.

Huevos Rancheros contributed the two tracks called Whiteout In Wyoming and Hotel Loneliness. Both of these tracks are good but nowhere near the power that MOAM puts into their music. That doesn’t make it any less valid as surf music goes though. It is just a bit more mellow. I actually enjoy these two tracks just as much as the MOAM tracks.

I am very happy that I found this 7” for a fair price. I don’t think that it is very sought after but it is still good music.



This is the third album from The Smiths. It was released in mid June of 1986 on Rough Trade Records in the UK and Sire Records in the USA. The album cover, designed by Morrissey, features Alain Delon from the 1964 film L'Insoumis. This was a largely unknown album for me growing up. I remember having a friend or at least a girl that I had a crush on during one or two summers while I was still camping with my family. She was really into the current goth scene at the time and was enthralled with both The Smiths and The Cure. I was never all that into either group at the time. I think that this was simply due to the fact that I only listened to the top 40 station and they didn’t get played all that much on that station. Now that I am older I can appreciate the music that both bands put out. I have no idea what happened to the girl. People seemed to appear and disappear frequently in my life during the time that I went camping with my family. We always went to the same campground as family owned the grounds but other people were only somewhat regular there and there were others that were there every weekend like we were.

There were three singles released from this album. The first single is called The Boy With The Thorn In His Side. Morrissey had this to say when asked by Margi Clarke if the song was about Oscar Wilde, "No that's not true. The thorn is the music industry and all those people who never believed anything I said, tried to get rid of me and wouldn't play the records. So I think we've reached a stage where we feel: if they don't believe me now, will they ever believe me? What more can a poor boy do?" It is really quite a lame song but for the time period it fit in well. It was never on my radar because it wasn’t that interesting of a song.

The second single is called Bigmouth Strikes Again. From Wikipedia, “The lyrics describe the protagonist's frustration of being hounded by others for his comments, to which he replies "I was only joking". During the song, the protagonist compares himself to Joan of Arc as the flames rose to her Roman nose. The proceeding line, "and her Walkman started to melt'", is often changed by Morrissey in live performances, to the more technologically-current "and her iPod started to melt". The high-pitched voice in the background is actually Morrissey's voice altered to a higher pitch. The backing vocal is credited to "Ann Coates", a reference to the Manchester district of Ancoats.” This is my favorite track from the album as it is more bouncy and danceable then most of the other songs on the album.

The last single from the album is called There Is A LightThat Never Goes Out. This single was actually released after the band had broken up in 1992. This is another track that never hit my ears until I bought the album a couple years ago now. It is a good song but not as good as Bigmouth. It just doesn’t have the attraction for me to make me want to listen to it over and over again.

It is a good album but not a great album. The reason that I bought the album is that it does have history for me because of that girl I had a crush on during those two summers. She was so cool and introduced me to some new music. I never dug into that new music until about 20 years later but it never left my mind.
 
This is the first album from Mumford & Sons. It was released in early October of 2009. The album was titled after Shakespeare’s play Much Ado About Nothing and the title track also takes lines from the play. I got into them late as I was more interested in acts like Grizzly Bear and Fleet Foxes. I finally realized what I was missing with the third single from the album called The Cave. Uppon hearing that track I went out and picked up the album. I have yet to get the second album though. With all of the popularity that the group has suddenly gotten, I stayed away from the album. I think I am nearly ready to get it though.

There were four singles from the album. The first single from the album is called Little Lion Man. It was lauded by many to be one of the best songs of 2009. This does make use of the swear word fucked in the chorus. He sings, “And it was not your fault but mine, and it was your heart on the line, I really fucked it up this time, didn’t I my dear?” I can understand the emphasis that is needed to show the emotion. It is a very good song but it is hard to let kids listen with the swear word included. I don’t really want my kids to hear the bad words but I also want them to hear the music the way that the artist intended at the same time. It is a tough call.

The second single from the album is called Winter Winds. It reminds me of something that Beirut would write and sing. I think that it is the use of the long notes that the accordion and horns play that gives me this feeling. I have never liked what Beirut has created and this song is not one of my favorites either. It was released as a single so it must have made someone happy listening to it.

The fourth single from the album is called The Cave. There is something special about the opening riff. It runs through the whole song through multiple instruments and is supported by multiple instruments. The chorus holds just as much interest even though it is simplified to make a great hook. The lead vocals sound amazing. They are not gravely but do still have a slight grit. They remind me of something that The Avett Brothers would have sung (yes, I should have more from them too).

The last single from the album is called Roll Away YourStone. This one did not chart as well as the others. The song is just as fast as the others, actually a bit faster I think. It is a fun song musically but doesn’t seem to have the hook that the others have. I like the song though.

If your into the new folk music that is out there and have missed this one, give it a shot!

That is all I have for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment