Friday, August 9, 2013

Vol. 4 Episode 32



Graveface Records has finally gotten through all of its court proceedings regarding the flood that happened three years ago. It was about the old office/warehouse that the owner was renting. The company that he was renting from was required to have flood insurance but didn’t. It took three years but the owner has finally gotten the stocks that were in the warehouse. In an attempt to recoup the lawyer fees he has set up a fundraiser. It is a multitiered buyin but most of the stuff that is up in the tiers has been out of print for quite a while. Every level of the buyin gets a special Marshmallow Ghosts single. Check it out here.

Slumberland has just announced that they will be releasing an album from a reciently formed group called Black Hearted Brother. The group features Neil Halstead (Slowdive , Mojave 3), Mark Van Hoen (Seefeel, Locust, Scala) and Nick Holton (Coley Park). It promises to be a space styled shoegaze foray. You can listen to the first release, (I Don’t Mean To) Wonder, from the upcoming album, Stars Are Our Home, over at spin.com.

Here we go...



This is the fifth album from The Faint. It was released in early August of 2008. This is the groups first time that they put out an album on their own. It was released on blank.wav records. I bought this album on CD when it was released. I was very excited about it because of the amazing sounds that they created on their previous album, Wet From Birth. I thought this album was very good but didn’t quite measure up to the previous album. I was a little let down really. It was just recently that I ran across this album new, still sealed at one of my local record stores for seven bucks. Even though it was not my favorite album from them I couldn’t say no to a double vinyl at that price. I haven’t listened to the vinyl yet but plan on doing so soon.

There were only two tracks from the album that were released as singles. The first single is called The Geeks Were Right. This was a fun single that I recall my local radio station played when the track was new. What I really like about this single and some of their previous singles is the distortion on the bass guitar parts. This bass line in particular is so distorted that I can’t tell if it is a synth sound or a bass guitar with a distortion pedal on it. I know that they aren’t afraid to use samples and synth sounds though so it very well could be. The guitars are standard rock distortion and sound good too. The drums keep the beat but are nothing to write home to. The vocals are very cool and along with the bass make the song what it is. It is a good song and should be listened to by rock lovers and electronic lovers for sure.

The second single is called Mirror Error. I didn’t even know that this was a single released from the album until I did a bit of research for the album. The vocals are what make this song any kind of good at all. They are double tracked and seem to be sung as part of a chord to the song. The bass on this track doesn’t really stand out as much and is a sign wave sound that rolls off for the most part. The drums are more interesting as they have added an electronic snare sound instead of the real thing. It is a good song but I don’t understand why they chose it for the second single.

A track that I really liked from the album is called FulcrumAnd Lever. It is a story song about a group of kids that put together a launcher of some kind. The protagonist gets into the slingshot mechanism that was placed in a tree. He is launched up in the air higher than the houses in the area. When he lands the story gets weird, as does the music. It is not expressly said but I assumed that he has at least broken a leg possibly worse as he ends up in the hospital as the lyrics tell us. The vocals are double tracked on this track as well adding to the slight creepiness to the song. The bass follows the vocals for the most part adding to the odd sound of the song too. If you like the first single then I would recommend this track too. It is one of the coolest tracks ever.
 
 

This is the second album from STP. The album was released in early June of 1994. While Purple still features strong elements of hard rock and grunge like its predecessor, Core, the album displays the band developing a more unique sound influenced by other genres, such as psychedelic rock, country vibes and ragtime elements. This was a very influential album from when I was a senior in high school up to when I graduated from High School. It seemed to me that the singles from the album were spread out through that whole time period. When the album was released it was revealed by the band that the album was called Purple. The name was never printed, in English, on the album. Some called the album untitled because of this. I can’t remember where I heard or read that the album was called Purple but I always seemed to know this fact. I later learned that the Chinese character on the cover is the symbol for the word purple.

There were five singles released from this album. The first was Big Empty. The first time I heard the song was in the movie The Crow. It was played during the car chase scene in the middle of the movie. The song is a slower song so I am not really sure why they put it in the car chase part of the movie. The song can also be picked up on the soundtrack for the movie. It is one of the best soundtracks of the 90s in support of a film I think. It was also played live for the STP MTV Unplugged series. It is a good song and follows the loud soft loud style.

The second single released from the album is called Vasoline. The song's odd sounding intro was created by Robert DeLeo, who ran his bass through a Wah-wah pedal to get the said effect. After this intro the song kicks in with a cool sounding distorted guitar. I would love to make this sounds but have not yet found it with the equipment that I have. The vocals have that cool Weiland sound that really matches the guitar sound that I like. This is my favorite song from the album for sure.

The third single from the album is called Interstate LoveSong. This song has some very cool country styled riffs mixed with the standard rock sound. It is very unique in that way. Weiland had stated that the song was about honesty or the lack there of and relationships with girls and drugs. The song is probably one of their best ever and was in the charts for weeks upon its release.

The fourth single from the album, Unglued, was actually a promo single with no physical release. This song was more like the music that was on their first album but not quite as hard. I like the song but it just didn’t have the hook that grabs you and makes you want to keep on listening to it over and over.

The last single from the album was also a promo single with no physical release. The song is called Pretty Penny. It is a stripped down track with bongos and acoustic guitars. This is a major departure from the music that they had previously made. Weiland had said that this was his favorite song from the album. It is such a stark contrast from what they had created in the past that it really sticks in your head after listening to the track. It is also good enough that I want to listen to it for quite a while. I would have totally bought a half hour jam version of this track if it had existed somewhere.

This is a fantastic album that everyone should listen to. If you haven’t already then do so soon!
 


This is the fifth release from Icehouse. My local record store had this album in stock for the past year or so. I did not want to pick it up because of a visible scratch on one side of the record. Every once in a while I would go into the store and pick it up look at the scratch and put it back. I finally decided to pick the record up. I was very surprised to find that the scratch is silent. The record itself has noise but the scratch is silent. I bought the record for the single Electric Blue. I later found that John Oates co-wrote the song with the lead singer of the band, Iva Davies.

The album put out five singles, mainly in Australia, but five singles none the less. The first single released from the album is called Crazy. It has a good bass line with drums that follow along. The guitars are simple but help support the song as well. There are also some synth keys floating around in the back ground. The vocals are dated 80s style. It is a good song but not quite good enough for the US charts.

The second single is called Electric Blue. This is why I got the album. John Oates had said at one point that if Icehouse didn’t use the track it would have been a Hall & Oates track for sure. I had a piece of metallic blue plastic on a band trip at one point and I had wrinkled it up so that the light would refract interestingly. I did this, obviously, to commemorate the song. It looked really cool to me as a teen-ager.

The third single from the album is called My Obsession. It is a good song but just doesn’t have that hook that makes me want to listen to it like Electric blue does. I guess it is similar to the fluff that Hall & Oates wrote before the 80s. It is good but not quite good enough.

That is all I have for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment