Friday, August 24, 2012

Vol. 3 Episode 32

All right, I am very excited. The music that I have been waiting for is finally rolling in. I also have the stereo up and useable. The record cleaner is out for repairs and should be back early next week. On the down side, My pre-amp display is acting strange but the pre-amp itself is still functioning. My big storage CD changer that has been out of commission, simply because there was no room on the rack that I had before, is now not recognizing CDs. This is all on top of the fact that there is something wrong with my first amp and my sony tape deck. I don't use the MD side of the CD/MD player though and don't plan on getting that fixed anytime soon. There is other stuff too but I wont get into it all.

I also had a fun trip to barnum with my Mother-in-law. I made four CDs worth of music for the drive. They were filled with classic rock, electronic, shoegaze and indie music. I was very proud that she only skipped about 10% of the music. We talked about lots of stuff on the way up but fell silent and listened to the music on the way back. just like last time I went on a road trip with her I drove about half of the leg back. I hate driving but it is never a problem to do so when she needs a break.Good times were had by all.

On to the music...


This is the second album from Passion Pit. It was released in 2012. First off, I was very disappointed to find that the vinyl version of the album was going to cost over 25 bucks. I put off buying this album for quite a while because of this. I finally broke down and bought it on CD. I am glad that I did because I just read a review that said that the record was a 125 gram record. That is very poor quality for a record that costs more than 20 dollars. For those of you who don’t know that is a very thin record. It has become a standard as of late to press records at about 180. They are more durable that way and not too stiff. A 200 gram record as no give to it at all incase you were wondering and 150 is OK. The album is very loud and has big beats with lots of electronics high pitch noises. It is a great party record.

There have already been three singles released from the album. The first single is called Take A Walk. It has a very big sound with a light and airy feel over the top. It gives the song a great contrast making it very fun to listen to. The vocals are not quite as high pitched as the first album making the songs easier to listen to over all.

The second single released from this album is called I’ll BeAlright. This track is a hard hitting song that pounds you in the chest. The song has huge big beats with high pitched noises and vocals that add so much to the song. This is such a fun song. I love the breakdown with the shimmering notes that mimic rain. It is really amazing what this guy can come up with.

The most recent single that has been released is called Constant Conversations. This track is slowed down quite a lot. It is not my favorite on the album. I think that he has tried to do a ballad in the same vein as Hot Chip but falls short big time. It is a good song, just not the best song.

My favorite song on the album so far, excluding the singles, is called Carried Away. It is the closest to what was done on the previous album. It is not a rehash but it could have been on the previous album very easily I think.

This is a great electronic album and is a step or two above the first album that was put out.

This is the latest release from Blur. They had been on hiatus since their last album Think Tank in 2003. Since then they have only released one song that was included on the Best Of album and one song for Record Store Day 2010 called Fools Day. These two songs were released in 2012. They commemorate the band getting together for the latest live shows. They were released in three formats; download, CD and white 7” vinyl. I of course got the 7” record.

The first track, Under The Westway, is a classic Blur ballad. It reminds me of the early 90s ballads that they did. This track has the graphic on the back of the sleeve and the graphic for the other track is on the front. It is an interesting way to set up the unexpected. The inside of the sleeve is blue. It goes well with the white record.

The second track, The Puratin, which is billed as the AA side, digs back to the new wave music of the 80s. The song has some very cool synth bass sounds along with other electronic sounds through the song. Every one plays on both songs. The reason that the band broke up was that the guitarist, Graham Coxon, decided that he had had enough. He is back with the group and plays on both of these tracks. How long he will stay with the group remains to be seen.

They are a good couple of track from a very much missed group.

This is the second album from Ride. It was originally released in 1992. It was recently remastered and rereleased on CD and vinyl. The vinyl was pressed at 45 RPMs. It is generally thought that this gives a record better sound. It has been said that this record was a step in the right direction for the group. The songs are in the same vein as the previous record but don’t come off as stale. They are refreshing and new. They are also a little bit happier sounding than the previous record. It still has the layered vocals that the group is known for but adds the happy jangly guitar sounds over the heavy distorted guitar.

There were two singles released from this album. The first is called Leave Them All Behind. The song starts out with an echo that reminds me of something that The Who would have done. Then the song kicks in in-full. The echo is still in the back ground but the bass and guitar stand tall in front until the vocals kick in. The vocals are the light an airy sound that I have come to expect from artists that make shoegaze music. It is beautiful layered male vocals that fill me up with happiness.

The second single released from this album is called Twisterella. This song reminds me of something that April March would have done when she did an album with The Makers. It is very poppy and happy with the jangly guitars and straight forward pop sound. It is a more poppy sound than the previous song and would recommend it over the first single. The vocals are straight forward on this track and are only layered on the chorus.

This is another great album that should not be missed from fans of this style of music.

This is Loreleis’ second record. It was released in the end of summer of 2012. Their first record was released back in 1995. It is really good to see them get back together. I was lucky enough to have gotten the chance to get this record as a test pressing from Slumberland Records. I was honored that Mike thought of me when he had some extra to sell (Thanks Mike). I also bought the mail order colored version of the album. It is another beautiful record. It is clear with brown speckled splatter. My copy has two turquoise dots amid the brown ones making it even more unique.

I haven’t heard anything about a single being released for this album but there is a song circulating around the internets from the album. That song is the first song on the album called Hammer Meets Tongs. The song has a fun rif that reminds me of something that Blur might have done in the early 90s. I like the song and it was my introduction to the band. I have the first album but I only just recently bought it used. So, I haven’t had a chance to listen to the first album yet.

It is a great album that pulls from both the 90s brit pop sound and the shoegazer movement of the late 80s/early90s. If you have any interest in either of these sounds then this is the album for you.

This is the groups’ first release. It was released in early 2011 on 12” vinyl. The EP contains six songs. The group has been given many genre names but my favorite is dream pop. I think that this fits because I could fall asleep listening to this and not even know it and the music would probably influence my dreams heavily. I could just as easily call it shoegazer (nu-gazer is a possibility to since it is a part of the latest crop of the new shoegazer sound) or psychedelic though too. It is not that this music is boring but it is so airy that it floats into your mind and you sometimes can’t even remember listening to the music. There are catchy bits that stick in your head though too, guitar rhythms that stand out and make you feel good just because you have listened to it. It is just really good music. There is not a track on this EP that really stands out as superior to the others though. It is all so good and even through out the collection of songs.

Here is a link to the first song on the album called Sunday Evening.

 That is all for now...

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for accompanying me on that trip! I couldn't have done it on my own. The music was great and I enjoyed learning new bands.

    ReplyDelete