Friday, August 3, 2012

Vol. 3 Episode 29


I have a few albums here for you that should get more listens and fans than they do. Some very good albums that seem to have gone under the radar for most music fans. I will post links to youtube, like I have been, for all the songs that are talked about here.

I am still working on the sun room as of yet. I am hoping to get the windows sealed this weekend and have the stereo up sometime during the week.

This is the fourteenth album from Fleetwood Mac. It was released in1987. This album started out as a Lindsey Buckingham solo project but soon morphed into a Fleetwood Mac album. It is the last album that had the line-up of Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood. This is the second biggest selling album for the group behind their album Rumours. The funny thing to me is that I had never heard of this album until I did some research on the group after listening to some radio taped cassettes that I had made in the late 80s. There were two singles released from the album that I absolutely loved of the six that were released from it.

Big Love was the first single released from the album. This single has a certain style to it. There are lots of staccato notes along with oos and ahs. The oos and ahs are of Lindsey sampled and changed to have multiple different male and female sounds. Most people assume that the female sounds are of Stevie Nicks, this is not true. This song was remixed for the clubs on a 12” record.

The second single released from the album is called SevenWonders. This song features Stevie Nicks on vocals. I like her voice when backed by the rest of the band. There is something special about that combination. This single also got the club mix treatment.

The third single released from this album is called LittleLies. I remember this song very well from when I was in middle school. I don’t think that I ever saw a video but the song was featured on the radio and the top 40 count down that I listened to on Sunday mornings on the way home from camping and maybe that fall/winter too. It is a very melodic song that floats through your head. I am not exactly sure what the song is about other than telling lies and trying to believe in them. I think that there is something to do with a love life or an affair in there somewhere but it is buried so deep.

The next single from the album is called Family Man. This was released in the UK and later in the USA. The song did not do much of me but it was still released as a single. I appreciate that they are supporting a healthy family with the song but musically it is not that great.

The next single from the album is called Everywhere. This is another song that I remember hearing on the radio regularly in middle school. It was a beautiful song that could have related to any relationship starting off. It deals with obsession, in my opinion, of getting that new girl or boy friend and wanting to be with them and take them in every chance that they could get. This is how I felt about having a girlfriend while in school. School was in the way and family was in the way of me getting to know the current girl of my dreams.

The last single released from the album is called Isn’t ItMidnight. This is a very rock and roll song from the group. The track was just a standard 80s rock track and did not chart that well. I don’t remember hearing the song on the radio or the top 40 shows that I listened to. It is a fair track but did not really fit on the album well and could have been from any other rock group. It was bland and I will leave it at that.

The album has some very special tracks for me growing up as a kid. I was happy to find a copy on vinyl at Cheapo for a reasonable price. The album may not be necessary to be heard but some of those singles certainly are important.

This is the sixth album from Saves The Day. It is the second in a trilogy of albums. It was released in 2007. I was lucky enough to find out about this album and get a copy on translucent green vinyl. The album is said to be darker in content like The Empire Strikes Back is in the Star Wars trilogy. The first album in the trilogy dealt with discontent. This album deals with reflection and remorse. I am not surprised that I nearly lost touch with this band. The emo style went out of style at about the time that this album or the previous one was released. Add that with the fact that this group is so underground at this point that people have nearly forgotten about them. I ran across them in one of my usual indie online record stores, Suburban Home, and saw that they had put out two albums since the last one that I bought, In Reverie. I bought the both of them on colored vinyl.

Can’t Stay The Same is the only single released from this album. The song is fun and nearly poppy for an emo group. The verse has some harmonized guitar chord slides that make the song easy to listen to. I couldn’t even sing the words to the song because the music is so fun. The chorus is just a bunch of noise but organized noise. I would call it a normal rock and roll chorus more than anything else.

I do have a favorite song from the album. It is called ByeBye Baby. The lead singer sings about loving someone that he just can’t be with because of complications in the relationship. He is not specific about what the problem is between them. He sings, “Bye bye baby, our love can’t save us” and that he will love her from afar. He loves her but mentally it can’t work because every time they are together they break out in arguments that usually end up involving the police. The music is very good and the lyrics work well with the song.

All in all a good album that should have gotten more listens from the public. I am saddened that most people don’t know about this album.

This is the seventh album released by Pearl Jam. It was released in 2002. This album has many influences including those of folk, art rock and experimental rock. The lyrical content dealt with mortality and existentialism. This was because of the political and emotional climate after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks and the accidental death of nine fans during the groups’ 2000 performance Roskild Festival. The album, for me, is very emotional. The music has a sad feel to it. It is easy to listen to and seems to become a part of you like a topical cream heals your wounds. It seeps into your skin to help you where you don’t know you need help. There were four singles released from the album.

The first single from the album is called I Am Mine. Eddy Vedder said that the song is about personal safety, the feeling of being secure and even free. The song is also very melodic with the use of a vibrato organ in the background of the song. The song is loud but it is easily overlooked with the harmonies that happen through out the song.

The second single from the album is called Bushleager. There are plenty of references to baseball in this song but they are actually references to the rich getting richer as is the groups want with political references. They are good about supporting those who can’t support them selves. I appreciate their ideals but don’t always agree with them. I don’t understand their references exactly. I think they are talking about the common ideal of the rich getting richer etc.

The third single from this album is called Save You. The guitar riff has so much energy that during the recording of the song the drummer lost his head phones and continued to play based on what the bassist fingers were doing. The fills are all on the fly giving the song an unexpected additional energy to the song. The song represents the anger felt by anyone who has watched a close friend waste away his or her own life. Some think that this is a reference to the lead singer of Alice In Chains, Layne Staley, that the group was friends with who died of sever drug overdose.

The last single from the album is called Love Boat Captain. This song has many things going into it. There are references to the nine deaths that happened in 2000 at one of their concerts. There are also references to The Beatles song All You Need Is Love. It is a very interesting and confusing song that should probably be analyzed down to its core and even then I may not fully understand the song. It is an important song in the history of music but will probably never get its just deserts.

This is another great album that did not get proper advertisements in my opinion. It is a great album that takes time to understand given the political and emotional climate that it was released in.

This is the second album from Abandoned Pools. It was released in 2005. Tommy Walter has had some troubles with record companies. The first album was on Extacy Records. This was a division of Warner Bros. The company stopped promoting bands and went under only a couple years after it started. I lost a group because of this company falling down. I probably will never hear anything more from them either. Abandoned Pools (AP) did their best to keep going as a one man band. They were signed to Universal for this album. He started working on new material focusing on his personal life and political views for inspiration. Universal stopped promoting the album some time after it was released and the group became a one man band once again. I don’t know why the record company would have stopped promoting the album but they did. Tommy has a special sound that I have not heard reproduced anywhere else. I am excited for a new album at the end of August though.

There was one official single released from this album, the title track, Armed To The Teeth. It is kind of an angry track with feelings of outside pressure and the idea of not wanting to conform to what is generally expected of the American person based on the views of the corporate industry monster. It is really amazing that he could write music that really fits this lyrical idea so well. That is a real talent if I had ever seen one.

I also really liked the song The Catalyst. The lyrics say that you don’t need to live in a fairy tale to live your life. I will be there for you and through me you will see the world as it is with all of the good things and bad things. Life is as it should be, simple but difficult. But that is the way it should be, we can only learn how better to live life by seeing the truth of it. I am sure that there are more political points that he was trying to get across but I like my view better anyway.

The album as a whole is very good. It is sad that not many people know about this album as it is so good. This is another lesser known album that should have gotten more interest that it has.

That is all I have for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment