Thursday, March 22, 2012

Vol.3 Episode 11


My first all singles post. I am not sure that this will be regular feature but it was fun to write.

This is a single from Roxette. I have a copy that I found at a cheap record store as a 45 RPM 7” record. This was the second single released from the album Look Sharp. The song was released in 1989. The single was first played in the US on the radio. More spesificly KDWB was the first station in the US to play the song. After this it spread from radio station to radio station. EMI, after hearing of the song’s success released the song in the US as a single. All this happened before the record was even released in the US. The A-side is obviously The Look. It is a super cool song that I remember hearing on the radio through the summer of 89’. The song was released in january but it continued to be played through the summer. I remember this because my family would listen to the top 40 countdown on KDWB as it was played on Sunday mornings. We would listen to the show on our way home from camping every weekend. I would read my DragonLance books in the back of our suburban and listen to music. I was short enough at that time so I could lay across the back bench with a pillow and read for an hour. It took about an hour to make the trip. It is a very enjoyable time in my life. The B-side to this single is called Silver Blue. This song is nothing spectacular. Supposedly this song is a demo that did not go very far, although it is not labeled as a demo on the sleeve that I can remember.

This is an amazing remix that started my light search into the dubstep genre. I did not get very far in my search because my money is tied up in other favorite genres. I did find a great duo through Propellerheads, the company whose software, Reason 6, I use to record music. They are called SubVibe. I will bring them up at a later date though. This Seven Nation Army remix was used in the new trailers for G. I. Joe: Retaliation. The track makes the trailer. What is really funny is that The Glitch Mob did not even know that the track was being used in the trailer. I hope that they get credit for the track at the very least.






This is the only released that the group put out. This was because of personality conflicts and recording style conflicts between the two primary artists in the group. The name comes from the initials of each of the members of the group. They are as follows: Martyn Young (from Colourbox), Alex Ayuli and Rudy Tambala (from A.R. Kane), Russell Smith (an associate A.R. Kane member and founder of Terminal Cheesecake), and Steve Young (from Colourbox). It was a double A-side single. With Pump Up The Volume gaining more success than the other track called Anitina. I did not even know that there was second track on the disc when I searched it out. Actually, I had no idea that there was not an album that this single came from. I loved this song when it was released in the late 80s. I was getting into rap and a touch of electronic music. There was no such thing as the internet at the time for civilians and it made it hard to find information on music. It was not until I went through my home recorded tapes from that time period that I remembered that I liked this song so much. I then found a copy of the CD for this song still sealed for a cheap price. Now that I have listened to the disc I find that I really like all the versions of Pump Up The Volume but could leave the other track behind. It is a great song with four different versions of the song. It is so awesome!

This is a single released from the re-release of Plastic Beach. This is another one of those marketing gimmicks that I have complained about in the past where they release an album and not six months later release the same album with one additional track. I was not as smart about it this time. I did not fall completely for the gimmick. I found a CD copy of the single and bought it separately. So, I did not buy the album twice but instead bought the album and spent a couple of extra dollars to get a separate CD with the extra song on it. The problem is that the extra CD single was not released in the US. It was only released in the UK. So not only did I get the extra single I also paid for the shipment from the UK to the US. They sort of got me coming and going on that I guess. What is worse is that the single has only two tracks on it and they are 1, the single track and 2 a remix of the same track. To me the song is not even that great. It uses staccato 80s synth lead with 80s synth violins swimming over the top. The drums are super simple too. I would not recommend this song to fans as it is not that essential. On the other hand it is a good beat and easy to dance to. Damon Albarn’s vocals are only used as backing vocals too. Now the remix of the song is even more bouncy than the actual single thanks to the revisions in the drum track. I think that the remix of the song is actually more interesting than the original song.

This is a follow up single to Mission Into Chaos. This single was released in 1995. It has unique packaging. It is encased in a manilla envelop with the string tie at the back. There were two different versions depending on what record company pressed the record. The US version reads Top Secret on the cover and the EU version reads State Secret. I have a copy of the EU version. There was a limited number pressed on clear vinyl. The inside of the sleeve was printed to look like a document that had been edited with black marker like you would see in the movies FBI documents where you can’t read most of the document. Not only is the sleeve of this record cool but the last track on the record is the theme song for Gold Finger covered by the group. I needed a copy of this song. It is a four track EP on a 7” record. The A side of this record reads, “No. 2 Side”, the B side reads, “The New No. 2 Side”. All four songs are based on the spy theme from the 60s including a song called Secret Agent Conrad Uno. This song has a little bit of a cover of the Peter Gun Theme in the middle of the song. This is a really great set of spy themed surf styled songs.



This is a remix of the Radiohead track Bloom done by Jamie xx of the band XX. It is the third part of the song. I have never seen or heard the second part of the song yet. This song was released originally as a download only with the TKOL RMX 8. Some time after this a small record label in Europe put this track out on a 12” single sided record. There was an initial release of this single but it was so limited in pressings I could not get a copy directly from the record company. I recently did a search for the record on discogs and found it for a reasonable price from a record store in Germany. After I ordered it I found that Jamie xx has released all of his remixes through this record company. If you are interested the company is called Young Turks. In some releases Young Turks partnered up with XL Recordings too. Just like the XX album the outer sleeve is die cut. Actually it resembles the other releases that Jamie xx has put out. A single color outer sleeve with a small rectangle cut out on both sides at the same spot and a different contrasting color on the inner sleeve to show through. To me it looks like a part of the X representing that he is still a part of the XX. He has used this same logo on his other releases. The song itself is called a rework so it has strong elements of the original song. I think that both part 1 and part 3 are very cool. It makes me curious about part 2 though.

This is the second release from the fantastic group Veronica Falls. Although the single is included in the self-titled album this version was recorded at a different time so it is a different mix than the one on the album. I really like the original mix on this single over the version on the album. But I like the album because it has a sound that flows across the album. It is a hard choice but if I had to choose which version I like better it would totally be the one on this single. The same goes for the B-side on this 7” record. The B-side track is called Staying here. I actually bought the record for the B-side track. I have a physical copy of the track on the tour cassette but I wanted a better sounding copy of the track. I was blown away with both of these tracks not knowing that they were different mixes from the ones that I already had. I am also very excited to say that the group is putting out a new 7” record for the song My Heart Beats. This is a non-album single with an all new B-side track that I have not heard. There are still a few other tracks that have not seen studio time yet. I have not heard if they are saving these tracks for a second album or if there will be new singles like this one. There has been light talk from other music reviewers of a new album but the group are still touring so it would be a long shot for a second album to be released so soon after the first.

I have finally found a copy of this rare first single from The Pains of Being Pure At Heart. They did have two split singles released before this but this is the first single that was all theirs. This 7” record exterior was a rich sky blue as was the vinyl it contained. The copy that I bought has a crease in the top left corner. It is not a big deal to me as you cant see it unless you are looking for it. Also, the guy that I got this single from lives in Japan so it is not a Slumberland release but instead a Fortuna Pop! release. This is not a big deal but something different anyway. The record is totally clean and sounds great. I love the sound of The Pains 7” singles from their first album. They sound more open and punchy to me than the regular albums do. All of their singles have this trait really. I still need their first EP and a Split single they did with The Parallelagrams. The latter of which was super limited as they did not get all of the supplies that were pressed. I think Kip, the lead singer of the group, told me that they were lost in transit or something like that. So, that split single has become very hard to find indeed let alone how much it would cost if I found a copy.


That is all for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment