Thursday, March 1, 2012

Vol. 3 Episode 8

Here it is, enjoy. Some history, mine and the music.

Not only is this the first release from Bleached but this is also the first release from the record company Ooga Booga. This single was released in spring of 2011. I ordered a second pressing directly from Ooga Booga. When I got the package it was in a 7” box with a hand stamped sticker from the company. I thought it was cute. When I opened the box I found the record inside of a hand stamped paper bag, the same stamp that was used on the sticker. There was a little note on the bag from the packager saying that she hoped I would enjoy the record. I thought that was unique too. Then when I took out the record I found that they record was wrapped in a red tissue paper sash held together with another sticker. There was also an unused sticker between the sash and the record sleeve. I was very excited about that because I thought that the sticker was very cool. It is these unique touches that I love from the small record labels like Ooga Booga and Slumberland. This is, of course, a 7” record (it came in a 7” box, der). The A-side of the record is a hard core surf punk track called No Friend of Mine. There is an organ backing the track with the hard punching fast drums. The guitar on this track is totally a surf inspired pluck sound. The vocals are not as locked down as I would like though. They sound wide open and messy. If this is what they were going for they hit the nail on the head. I don’t think this is what they were after though since it is their first release. The B-side track is called Dazed. This track starts off with a cool riff that is never seen again in the song. The vocals on this track are a little bit more locked down than the first track but still messy. The guitars on this track are doused more heavily in the surf sound than the other. It is for this reason that I like this track more than the other. Both are great punk songs but I have an affinity for the surf sound and therefore like Dazed more. It is also a shorter track than the first holding with the surf style too. For a first release it is great. As a part of their cannon they are the weakest songs that I have heard from them yet. I still have the second 7” still to come. I am hoping it comes this week.

This is a cool jazz album from The Dave Brubeck Quartet. It was originally released in 1959. This album was not a hit upon first release according to current critics. It skyrocketed to success with jazz fans at the time. It was different and people got into the album because of the use of uncommon time signatures, i.e. 9/8 and 5/4. Brubeck heard some Turkish street musicians playing while he was on a tour of Eurasia and as such inspired him to compose Time Out. This album is included in the book 1001 Album You Must Hear Before You Die. Personally, I think every one should hear this album weather it is included in this book or not. I know that there are albums included in that book that I could care less to hear but this album is exquisite and should be heard at least once. One should listen to the album if not the whole half hours worth of music on the album then at least the big single from the album, Take Five. This track is one of the best known jazz tracks to come out of the US. The sax solos on this album are so perfect. It is not really a dance able track but the song does put a smile on your face. The other track that is worth a listen is called Blue Rondo à la Turk. It is a quicker track but because of the odd time signature it is not that easy to dance to. It is still a recognizable track once it has been heard. This is partially due to the odd time signature. Like I said before, listen to this whole album. It is short and you will more than likely end up liking it anyway.

This is the first EP from Veronica Falls. It is also the first release from the group that is all covers of other artists work. This EP was originally released through Rough Trade Records in the UK on vinyl only. The record was released in 2011. It is a very limited vinyl release. I was recently at a concert for Veronica Falls and they were selling the album on CD at their merchandise table. I can only assume that the CD release is for the US tour and therefore released in 2012. There are some very great recognizable tracks on this EP and some others that I had never heard of the song let alone the name of the originating band. The very first track from the EP is a cover of the Rolling Stones song Under My Thumb. This is a very interesting take on the song. It comes off very dark but kind of bland at the same time. I think that they could have done this track with a little more flare. The song that they have been playing from this album is called Starry Eyes. This was originally recorded by Roky Erickson. This was a B-side for the single Found Love In A Graveyard from the Captured Tracks records label. Trouble Records also released Found Love In A Graveyard but the B-side is a track from their first full length album. The other track that I think is pretty cool and recognizable is the song Thorn In My Side. This was a song recorded by Eurythmics. This is a very cool and unique group of songs from Veronica Falls but it is definitely not something to chase after unless you are sure that you want to have every thing that the group has put out. On a side note Slumberland is supposed to be putting out a non album single in a couple of months. Slumberland has informed me that the A-side will be a new track called My Heart Beats. They are keeping me in the dark as to what the B-side will be but it could only be one of three songs that I am aware of that haven’t been released yet; Burry Me Alive, Teenage or Last Conversation. There is one other possible track too called Back Page but I already have a copy of that song from the Demos + More split EP (Veronica Falls and Brilliant Colors). But that is another review.

 
This is the sixth release from The B-52’s. It was released in 1992. I bought this album right away when it came out on cassette. The cassette is clear orange with white lettering. I thought that this was so cool since most cassettes that I had were either smoke clear or solid white. I remember trying to introduce my friends to the album after Love Shack. It did not work out so well. One instance I remember specifically. After I had introduced a friend to the album I had to leave to go home. I lived, at the time, a mile and a half up a big hill. I was on my way with the cassette in my hand riding my bike. I don’t remember what I hit but I took a tumble off the bike. I must have let go of the cassette in the fall. I was totally not concerned about how I was but where was the cassette. I found it still in the case but the case had a chip in the outer edge. I felt like a moron because my father always taught me, “Treat your equipment with respect.” I couldn’t let him know that I had done such a foolish thing with my equipment. To this day he still has no idea not that he would care at this point. He doesn’t read this anyway (no computer). Anyway, There were five singles released from this album. The first single was the title track from the album, Good Stuff. This is the reason that I bought the album. This track was featured in the movie D2: The Mighty Ducks. In the video for the song RuPaul has a cameo. Cindy Willson took a break from the band on this album. She does come back for the follow up to this album though. For me this album continues in the vein started with Cosmic Thing excluding Love Shack because it stands out as the odd track on the album. The next single from the album is called Is That You Mo-Dean? This single failed to chart well. The track is actually one of my least favorites from the album. But, the 12” single has a few remixes by Moby. I like a lot of stuff that Moby has done. I have not heard the remixes but would be interested to hear them simply because Moby did the remixes. The third single released from this album is called Tell It Like It T-I-Is. This song is a super fun track. It is basically saying tell the truth. It has a great beat but remains sonically like it should be a part of the album. It is the first track on the album and a great starter. This is probably why is charted well in the dance charts. The next single released from the album is called Revolution Earth. This song is based on folk music ideas. The intro and outro to the song is completely different from the average song from the group in that they are long and meandering. I like the song for this exact reason. It is a departure from the cookie cutter tracks that they have put out in the past. The last single from this album is called Hot Pants Explosion. I always liked this track. I always imagined that there was a barrel that was packed with Hot Pants so tightly that it would explode if it were jostled in any way. It did explode in my imagination in an indoor mall. As with the song, it was always a big party because the pants were all different bright colors. It really is a great song with a great beat. It’s really a shame that the song did not chart better than it did. I never heard it on the radio when it was released as a single. This is a great album that deserves at least one listen if you are a fan of The B-52’s.

This is the sixth album released from Blur. It was released in 1999. This was a further departure from their Brit Pop/Madchester roots. It is more cerebral and denser musical territory for the group. The album is a lose concept album based on life and relationships. The album is inspired by lead singer Damon Albarn’s breakup with Elastica Singer Justine Frischmann. Two of the tracks from the album specifically reference albarn’s love for her and his struggle to move on. The group did an interesting thing by hiding short tracks between some of the songs. They are short interstitials that are obviously not a part of the previous song or the following song. Tender is the first single released from this album. This is a very heart felt song that pulls on my heart strings. The chorus to this song uses the London Community Gospel Choir. This was a different track for Blur. It gives the song an organic or more human than possible feel to the song. This is probably part of why I am so emotional about the song. The next single from the album is called Coffee & TV. The song brings back some of their Brit Pop roots. The only exception is the instrumental part of the track where the guitar parts make heavy use of distortion and feedback. The music is very up beat but seems to slowdown because of the slow speaking style vocals. It was a big on the radio but it wasn’t really my favorite track from the album. The third and last single released from this album is called No Distance Left To Run. This track and the first single are the songs that Albarn specifically wrote about his break up with Elastica’s singer. This song is super slow and emotional. It talks about the end of a relationship. This can be very painful as most people would already know. The lyrics feel like it is just the end of a life, so low. The music is just as slow. I can’t say that I love this song. It is so depressing that I can’t handle it usually. I would rather talk about the track called B.L.U.R.E.M.I. This is probably my favorite track on the album. It is filled with noise and distortion. The lyrics are nearly unintelligible on the track. The chorus uses a vocoder on a bass guitar. It sounds like a kid robot reading the letters for the song. The song itself is very upbeat with an abrupt ending. It is very exciting. This is one of the few tracks that has the bonus content after the track. It is very soft and a big contrast from the actual track. Fans have dubbed it B.L.U.R.E.M.I. exlude. This album is not for everyone. There are some very depressing tracks on the album. I do think that everyone should hear the lead single,Tender, from the album though.

This is a series of nine singles collected into a group. It was released in 2011. The first that I had heard of this group was when they did a remix of The Body from The Pains of Being Pure At Heart. I thought the remix was interesting but not so great that I would keep listening to it over and over. I did not look into the group any further because of this. Coming up in a few months Slumberland will be releasing their second full length album. I heard the first single from this upcoming album upon finding this out. I was amazed at what I heard. They are putting out and have been putting out music that is in the Nu-gaze genre. This is the same style that The Pains, Veronica Falls and Gold-Bears are classified in. I started to dig into the group a little bit and found that they had released many singles and a couple of EPs. I also found this album. This compilation album sounds very warm and inviting through out the whole nine songs. It is very nice. There are hints of 60s jangle and 70s wall of sound. Unlike the 90s shoegaze sound, you can for the most part hear what the singer is saying. It is a refreshing take on the shoegaze sound and so much easier to listen to. I don’t think that there is one particular song that stands out for me right now but each song was released as its own single during 2011. If you are into the Nu-gaze sounds that are coming out right now then don’t pass this band up!

That is all I have for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment