Sunday, September 5, 2010

Episode 46

Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five – The Message
I did not know anything about this group except for the single, The Message. I loved that song growing up as a kid. The political meanings escaped me at the time but it was the beginnings of rap. I understand what they were trying to say back then now that I listen to it today. I have had many discussions with various people on the net about the fact that rap music is actually music and has come from a culture that needed a voice but had no money to get equipment to voice what needed to be said at the time. IMO the people from that time and culture got creative with what they had and found a way to voice themselves and make some pretty good music at the same time. The problem that these people on the net have is that they were not making new music they were instead stealing other people’s music and “talking” over that music. I call BS on that line of thinking. To me it was a reinvention of music in one of the most creative ways possible. To me it is kind of reverse engineering a piece of music. It is making a new instrument out of something that already existed. It took an intelligent mind that had no way out to find an unseen way out to the public. I don’t care what anybody says, rap is music and a turntable can be an instrument. Although samples can cost big bucks they are an important part of music today.

This album was not as much of an influence on me as say DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince – He’s The JD, I’m The Rapper was The Message was still a really great song. Last year I bought this album and instantly fell in love what the music that they created and what they had to say. I especially love the fact that they gave props to Stevie Wonder in the form of a love song. Have you ever heard an all male group do any song to thank another male artist, let alone to do it in a slow love song style? I also just recently bought the eighth track that was included on the CD that was reissued recently since it was not included on the record that I purchased.

Falco – 3
I heard the first single to this album on the radio, KDWB to be more precise. I really liked the production and artistry that went into the song. I couldn’t get enough of the song really. I pleaded with my mother to get me the whole album. I even recorded the song about six or seven times on my personal boom-box before she finally got me a copy of the album. It wasn’t soon after the second single came out, Vienna Calling. I remember being at a family friends house, she was probably baby sitting my sister and I at the time, and the video for Vienna Calling came on. I remember her saying that she did not want us watching that mess on TV or something like that. We tried to reason with her that I already owned the album and we knew the song very well. Of course a child reasoning with an adult never goes well for the child. The TV was turned off and that was the end of it. I never saw the rest of that video. I don’t think that I will even search it out on the YouTube either. I have the music and that is what is important.

I just read that the lead singer died in a car crash. My heart was broken. I had no idea. This was the only album that I ever got from the group and as such the only influence that the group will ever have on me but still I am saddened by the fact that he will never be able to touch the hearts of the world through live concerts again. Not that he ever did so this way with me. As a matter of fact he still has a chance to touch people through his recorded music just as he did with me. I guess what I am trying to say is that his legacy still has the chance to touch people even though he can not. The same can be said about any artist that has passed away and left behind their work for all to see.

The Soft Pack – S/T
This group was originally called The Muslims. They changed their name because of racist comments that continually surfaced relating to the bands name. They have released quite a few EPs and singles prior to this album but this is their first full length album. The group has put a really great indie pop collection together here. The first single is what attracted me to them. I first heard it on my local public radio station, 89.3 The Current. It has a very danceable driving beat with some laid back but still directing vocal performance. I am not all that excited about the group and forget that they are as good as they are. I guess that the name of the band is not indicative about what they sound like. Try them you will probably like them.


Stereolab – Margerine Eclipse

Just like with any Stereolab album, it is more of the same but from a different angle. New facets are shown with every album and every listen on each song. It is just the way that every song comes out. They are each unique and different but still the same in a way. The analogy that I have heard of the band was that every song comes from the same ice burg but each song is a different ice crystal from that ice burg. That being said, this is one of my favorite albums. The biggest highlight from this album is the triplets used in a 4/4 time signature. The way that the music turns over during this part hits me every time. It has so moved me that I am trying to incorporate something like this in one of the songs that I am writing. I am not sure how this will turn out in the music that I write but we shall see. All in all the music is fantastic, smooth and mellow. It is an album that I could listen to over and over and do at times.

That is all I have for now.

1 comment: