Sunday, April 5, 2015

Vol. 6 Episode 12.5



OK Go at First Ave in Minneapolis MN on April 2nd, 2015.

There was supposed to be an opening act but they canceled about a week prior to the show. I got an email that they had canceled. I thought that was fine because that meant more time with OK Go.

The doors opened at 7PM. I think we got there a little after 7. OK Go was supposed to take the stage at 8:30 because the opening band had canceled. Apparently there was a technical issue that they were working on and they didn’t take the stage until 9.

This was OK because we always go over the merchandise booth to check out what was for sale. We went over there and saw that the only thing out were t-shirts and tote bags. There was a piece of cardboard that had items and prices on the table. It did list CDs and vinyl on the cardboard but they were not out at the time. I was a little disappointed because I wanted to pick up a CD. I have all of their albums on CD and all albums that have been pressed on vinyl, not all of there albums have been pressed on vinyl. I was lucky enough to get in on their Pledge Music campaign and got their latest album on vinyl signed by the group. Anyway, the new album or any other music they may have had for sale was not out when I was at the merch booth so I didn’t get anything.

When the band finally got ton stage there was this cool montage that played where they took lots of different clips from movies over the years where actors said the words OK and or Go. It was really cool and at the end of it Kermit the Frog introduces the group. They started with the hard hitting Upside Down & Inside Out. They were playing behind a white sheet. There was some cool video being played on the sheet of each of their heads singing the song with digital distortion. It was a lot of fun.

I was surprised to learn that they used two bass guitars on the song The Writing’s On The Wall. I always liked it for the Joy Division/New Order sound that they achieved. I know that the sound originated with the bass and certain pedals that Peter Hook used but OK Go have somewhat side stepped this with the use of two bass guitars. It is a creative way to get the job done but that also means that there is no guitar in the song as Damian is making the synth sounds happen while he is singing. Either way it is still a great song that I love for the heavy influences of Joy Division/New Order.

After the song I Want You So Bad Damian told us a story about the first single that changed his life, Herbie Hancock – Rocket, then an even shorter story about Prince – Purple Rain. Last we had a little question and answer session because of the technical issue, this was resolved fairly quickly and then they went on to play Obsession.

I really like the song Obsession because of the synth drums that are distorted. As they played the song they had over emphasized the synth bass part on this live version and it totally took be by surprise. It was amazing how that bass sound rolled through the crowd. It made my pants vibrate with the sound but it didn’t go through my chest. In my experience a low blast like that would roll through my whole body. This was somehow directed only at the lower half of my body. I don’t know how it worked out that way but it was unique and made the low bass more tolerable.

The song There’s A Fire was done in a very cool way. I had actually seen a live clip of this song being played and knew this was going to happen this way but, they asked the crowd to help make the drum machine sounds for the song. They asked us to make the bass drum, the snare and both the hi-hat open and closed sounds. We couldn’t seem to get the closed right, someone kept screaming, so Damian made the sound for that part instead. The other instruments were tiny synth boxes that were so cute. The song ended up being a very stripped down version from what the studio version is.

Next, the band left the stage except for Damian. He came into the crowd with just an acoustic guitar. He played the song Last Leaf. It was very difficult to hear him as he did not come out with a mic. The guitar was plugged in though. He played half of the song to one side of the crowd and then turned to the other side of the crowd so they could hear the other half. It was very cool and very intimate.

I really liked the cover of Led Zeppelin’s Black Dog. They sounded near perfection to the studio version that Led Zeppelin recorded way back in 1971. The difference, of course, is that they are doing a cover and that some of the sections are stretched out. I was taken aback by the detail in the lead guitar part. It was so detailed and not sloppy at all. I know that every kid who has picked up a guitar has played this song in Guitar Center and I have heard many renditions just being in that store. The version that they played during this concert was so much better, clear cut perfection.

The first song from the encore was A Million Ways. The group came out in white suits and lip synced/danced to the song. They recreated the dance they did for the video of the song. I was so cute and funny at the same time. If you want to see what they did then you can check out the video for the song on YouTube.

For White Knuckles the backlights were turned on and suddenly their white suits were glowing brilliant colors. It was pure genius and took the whole crowd by surprise. It was an easy way to make a great song even better.

They then played the latest single I Won’t Let You Down. It was a great rendition of the song. I wasn’t let down by the song but I have seen the video so much, my two year old loves the video, that I almost expected to see them do something with umbrellas while they played the song. That is just my problem though. The song was still sung perfectly.

Set List:
OK Go Montage
Upside Down & Inside Out
You’re So Damn Hot
The Writing’s On The Wall
I Want You So Bad I Can't Breathe
Obsession
This Too Shall Pass
There’s A Fire
Last Leaf
Needing/Getting
I’m Not Through
Get Over It
The One Moment
Skyscrapers
Do What You Want
Cover: Led Zeppelin – Black Dog
Turn Up The Radio

Encore
OK Go Video Montage
A Million Ways (Lip Sync/Dance)
White Knuckles
I Won’t Let You Down
Here It Goes Again

No comments:

Post a Comment