Sunday, January 25, 2015

Vol. 6 Episode 3

The Echo Lake album called Era will be released on March 2nd.

The Death Cab For Cutie album called Kintsugi will be released on March 31st. 

89.3 The Current has put out a limited edition 10" record (1000 pressed) featuring The Hold Steady and The Suicide Commandos. They are all live tracks and you can pick it up at The Electric Fetus.

That is the only new information that I really have.


This is a split 7” EP from two great female lead punk groups. The record is accompanied by a comic book that tells the tail of the Captured Crusader. The record was released through Captured Tracks, Slumberland Records and Fortuna Pop! The record also runs at two different speeds. The A side is at 45 and the B side is at 33 RPM. The EP was originally scedualed to be released in early fall but because of RSDBF it got pushed back to a November release, I didn’t actually get my copy until December. Each group contributed one original track and a cover track. Some copies that were send out had the wrong record in the sleeve. That wrong record was AC/DC’s Rock or Bust single. I got the right record but I have seen some pictures.

The A side, Joanna Gruesome side, has the tracks Psykick Espionage and ...And Keep Reaching For Those Stars. The latter being a cover from the band I Hate My Self. Their original song, Psykick Espionage starts off with a grand noise and calms down just a little so we can hear the lead singer scream as loud as she can, it seems. Then it calms down a bit more so we can hear a very pretty vocal line in the chorus. Then it picks up again for the second verse and calms down again for the second chorus and the end flattens out to be a great punk song with beautiful light and airy female vocals.

The second track, ...AndKeep Reaching For Those Stars, from them is short and focuses on the female vocals with male vocals right under the female vocals giving the support that makes all vocals stand out over the noise that the group is making. Although it is short, it is one of my favorite tracks from the group.

The first song from Perfect Pussy is called Adult World (The Secret). The female vocals are so raw and unintelligible but for me work so well with the punk noise that the group makes so well. The instrumentation on the song is partially noise but mostly music. There is defiantly something special going on with this group. I look forward to hearing more from them in the future.

The second track from them is called A Leash Called Love. This is a cover from The Sugar Cubes. The first couple of times I listened to this track I actually got lost in the music and thought that Bjork was singing the song with a noisier backing band. Meredith Graves, the lead singer for Perfect Pussy, does such an exceptional job at getting the style of Bjorks’ vocals within the confines of PP’s punk style. It is a really amazing rendition of this song.

I am glad that I had to wait to get this EP. It is one of my favorites of 2014.



This is a digital only EP from Dresses. It features two new songs and three acoustic tracks. This EP is sweet and fun. The duo, who were a couple, have now apparently stopped dating but, thankfully, they are still writing music together. This is great news for fans of the music. The duo has also reportedly started branching out in their sound pallet. Jared has said that they have been listening to all kinds of music to get new inspirations for new music.

The first song and single from the EP is the title track, Lonely One. The song is about being in a relationship and remembering what is was like when they were not in a relationship. It could also be seen as being in a relationship but not sharing each others lives with each other making them feel lonely. I know both situations as I have problems sharing my life and who hasn’t been in a relationship before, everyone. So, everyone understands at least one side of the story. It is a sweet song even if it is a little depressing.

The second new song from the EP is called Duet Song. It is a slower song with a simple beat played on a guitar with the duo singing together. The way they sing together on this track is very complex and very enjoyable. They sing about a few different things in the song. My favorite part of the lyrics is when they are singing about the first time he took her home at the end of the song. They took a shower together after his parents had left the house. He sings that they only kissed but I imagine a bit more than that probably happened. I don’t know if this is based on fact or a made up story but either way it was cute and I enjoyed it.

The next three songs are the acoustic songs. I am not usually a fan of acoustic songs but these versions seem to support the duos strengths even if they are thin sounding next to the studio versions. It is after all the two of them with a guitar after all. The songs are, Sun Shy, TellA Lie and Painting Roses.

The EP is very good and I hope this means there will be more music coming from them in the future.


This is the latest single from Haim. It was put out on a 10” shaped picture disc. I am usually not interested in picture discs but I still don’t have a shaped record and I thought this was unique enough to get it. This is the sixth single taken from the album Days Are Gone. There was also a video put out to support the single.

The A side of the record is just the album version of the song, My Song 5. It is not my favorite track form the album but works well as a late single from the album. What I do like is the super bass synth that is used in the back ground. The problem with the song is the same sound. It takes the song in an odd direction for me. Either way it is still a good song.

The B side of the single is a remix of the song with an addition from the rapper A$AP Ferg, My Song 5 Feat. A$AP Ferg. I don’t know who he is or what he does but the rap that he adds to the song doesn’t exactly seem to fit the song. He talks about marriage, cheating and sex with other girls. I guess it fits but he is talking about the male side and the girls are singing about the female side where they don’t want to be in the relationship because of the things he talks about. I feel like this version comes off a bit disjointed because of the addition of the rapping.

I am happy that I have the single but confused about why they did this remix.

That is all for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment