Saturday, September 20, 2014

Vol. 5 Episode 39



Surfer Blood posted on twitter that they had finished their third album and put up a graphic for the cover. It seems kind of odd but there has only been one post about it so far.

Slumberland Records has put up a free 22 song compilation for their 25 year anniversary up on Amazon.

The first song from the new Abandonment Issue B-sides EP from The Pains of Being Pure At Heart has been put up to stream at The Line Of Best Fit. The song is called Poison Touch.

Shop Radio Cast is doing a series of pink vinyl pressings of some of their albums for breast cancer awareness if you are interested. They aren’t listed on the front page though so you will have to dig to find them.

Tiny Engines has repressed the first Restorations LP for the third time. There are some really cool color variations.

Here we go...



This is a single released in the UK in the beginning of September 2014. It is the first 7” from the new album from Flowers. This is one of my favorite tracks from the new album. I wrote about the album already in Vol. 5 Episode 36 and had this to say about the song Joanna, “The drums on this one have the right quick pace like Young does. The guitar work has a fun jangle feel to it. Her vocals are a bit fragile through the whole song. I think that this one is a bit more fun simply because the vocalist makes her voice jump through hoops in the scale with fun highs and lows in the chorus. This track is just the three members of the band playing, no extras. It makes the song rawer than the first single.” My feelings haven’t changed about the song It works very well for me.

The B-side track is called Rachel’s Song. This is a home recording from the group that ended up on this 7” instead of the Rough Trade free CD. It is a short song with just vocals and an acoustic guitar. The vocals are drenched in reverb/echo and give them a floaty heavenly sound. There is a slight addition of a keyboard/organ to fill in the background of the song in the middle but it is almost unnoticeable. The song is called Rachel’s song, I believe, because this is the name of the lead singer. I don’t know if they couldn’t think of a better name for the song or the lyrics have a special meaning for her. Either way, the song is a sweet and simple one.


This is a limited single from Odd Box Records. It was released in January of 2014. I didn’t decide to get a copy until August and luckily there was still a copy available to have. I have only a couple of other releases from this record label simply because they don’t put much out in a year.

The first song is called Sick. The song is simply about someone who was in a relationship and has fallen out of love so hard that the person that they loved now makes them sick. They don’t make them heart broken but out right sick. I can understand this but have never experienced it myself. Maybe this is because I have never had to dump anyone, I have always been dumped. I have never gotten tired of a relationship except for one time. But I was not sick of the girl. I just didn’t want to be around her any more. We didn’t travel in the same circles so this wasn’t hard for me to just stop seeing her. Any Way, the song is good and allowed me to see a different side of how people can feel about the end of a relationship.

The B-side is called Going Sideways. This song has the drummer on the lead vocals. It sounds like he has a chorus pedal on his vocals because it almost sounds like he is under water. There is some quiet and smooth bass and guitar on the track. But the vocals give the song that weird feel to make it just a little bit creepy. I like the song but the weird vocals with the chill music makes me a bit uneasy. I may get use to it if I listen to it a bit more.


This is a three track EP that the girls put out on Dead Oceans again. It is a 7” record pressed at 45 RPM with a physical limited release on black vinyl. It was released mid September 2014. The cover is only slightly controversial because of the naked female butt and legs. Every one has a butt so I don’t see the problem, whatever.

The title track, For The Feel, was intended for the full length album that was put out last year but didn’t seem to fit at the time. When the Clavin sisters came back from their big US and abroad tour they took time to re-record the song for this new EP and they were much happier about how it sounded. This is what they said about the track exactly, “"For The Feel is a song we originally wrote for our full length but it didn't sound right once recorded so we held off on putting it on the record. Finally when it came down to recording it again we were really inspired by the sound of The Kinks, we even used The Kinks amp. I'm really glad we waited to release this song because now it's perfect."

On the B-side of the record is the other two tracks. The first is called Poison Ivy. [It is a take on] The Rolling Stones' version of The Coasters track. It reminds me of something surf rock sounding but I don’t know much about The Rolling Stones and even less about The Coasters. That doesn’t really matter much because this version makes me vibrate with happiness with all that cool reverb and echo through the song.

The third song from the EP is called Born To Kill. This is a cover of a song from The Damned. It is a super cool punk track that these sisters make easy listenable. The style that they play this song in reminds me of Joan Jett & The Black Hearts. I like both because they work well sonically.

I am not sure how often I will listen to this EP but the music is fantastic.


This is a single that was released in different colors; forest green, white and yellow/gold. I got a copy in forest green. The white pressing was only available in record stores or in an all color bundle option. I like the group but not quite as much as to get an all color bundle. This single was released in 2013 to support their second LP called LP2.

The A-side of the record is the title track, New Old. It is a hard hitting rock track with vocals in that raspy scratchy sound that I call the Jersey sound. It is probably not good to sing in that style as it puts a lot of unneeded thrash on vocal chords but it does sound so cool if you can figure out how to do it without damaging the vocal chords. I don’t know if the group does this on purpose but it seems that the names of a lot of their songs are meaningless. For example, one of their singles has the names of each track as A and B. The A track is on the A-side and the B track is on the B-side. New Old doesn’t seem to mean anything in this song either nor does the B-side track, called 0.014 MPH. This doesn’t mean that I don’t like the tracks. On the contrary, they are really great songs that I am happy to have in my collection of music. I just don’t understand the naming of the songs that I have seen so far.

The B-side track is called, as I mentioned earlier, 0.014MPH. It is a slower track from the A-side but has a very cool driving force with soaring distorted guitar notes and a clean picked guitar on top of that. It is one of those songs that you know has meaning just by listening to the guitar solo. It makes you feel sad but empowered at the same time. I like this track a lot. 

That's all for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment