Saturday, August 2, 2014

Vol. 5 Episode 31



The Oh Hellos have a new live session up for download with a new track called Dear Wormwood. There are six tracks with dialog between and it includes a video of the six song concert too.

The new Bleached EP, For The Feel, is out now digitally on itunes.

alright, here we go...



I have gotten my copy of the new self titled album from The Ar-Kaics. This is not to be confused with the demo cassette that they put out. This is a completely new album, with the exception of two tracks, that the group has put out on Windian Records. The record company says that the album was recorded in the woods at Rag’s BB&R. They chose to stay secluded there to record the album away from anything except the nearest gas station to pick up alcohol and food. The resulting album is brilliant with tracks that range from raging garage rock to moody ballads without a snoozer in the bunch. I am paraphrasing what was actually said of course.

The first single from the album is called No, No, No. The song is instantly catchy and totally reminds me of the hard garage rock that made The Stooges a big hit. This difference is that The Ar-Kaics are doing this to make people happy where as The Stooges were just hard rock before it was considered hard rock. I like the stooges but I would much rather listen to The Ar-Kaics. I guess that they also have that early Beatles sound with the fun in the music. They also have that raw sound that The Hives have too. But then The Hives are also pulling from the same sources as The Ar-Kaics.

No Good is one of the two tracks that were on the demo tape originally. The song fits on the full length album pretty well. I think that it may have been recorded as it sounds a bit cleaner than the cassette version. It is a really sweet track that could easily be a single if they wanted it to be. I have been enjoying the song for quite a while now and may be bias to the song simply because of exposure though.

The second track that came from the demo tape is called Can’tKeep Waiting. This has some very cool guitar work that reminds me of The Black Keys but this work is overshadowed by the cracking vocals and the addition of a second guitar along with some smashing drumming. I really feel that this group has more noise and fun than anything that The Black Keys could ever bring.

Keep making this great fun music guys! I can’t seem to get enough of it. I believe there is still going to be another single released on Windian Records for this group. I just haven’t heard a release date yet.

Literature – Cincinnati/It’sCruel & Tie-Dye singles
With the upcoming second album from Literature I have dug up the first two singles from the group. The first single was released by Square Of Opposition Records. They are quickly running out of both of these singles if you are into the 7” format. The band also released this first single as a download with two extra tracks. At the moment you can’t get the third track, I Am Right Here, with the download anymore but it is on their first album. You can get the download of the three tracks that are unique to the single from their bandcamp page.

The first song, Cincinnati, is a super short and very catchy track. It is very pop oriented and the chorus is kind of funny. They sing about a friend that wrote a bad check. They went to cash it and were charged a fee. The funny part is that they don’t think they would have been charged the fee if they were in Cincinnati. It is funny to me because it doesn’t matter what part of the country you are in, you will be charged a fee. To think that your home town or favorite town would never do that to you is ridiculous.

The second track is called It’s Cruel. This song is one that I really like because it is so indie but at the same time it has R&B with 80s new wave sounds. It is a really good combination of these styles. I find it mind blowing that all three of these styles could be mixed together to make something that is so pop sensible but still not be on anyone’s radar for new music. I didn’t even find out about this track until they made it onto Slumberland records.

The unique download track from this single is called Man Maid Man. This song is a bit different in that the drums are pretty much washed out. I can hear the symbol but the drums are nearly non-existent on the track. More so than that there is no low end on this track. I couldn’t pick out the bass guitar if I tried. I can pick out the bass drum at times though. The vocals are distorted on purpose I believe. There are two guitars being played, one is distorted and fades back in the mix a bit the other is clean and sounds fantastic really. I can’t say that I like what this track sounds like but I do like what they were going for sonically.

The second single was released as a 7” only. It was pressed in white vinyl initially (about 30). Then there were about 70 that were pressed in varying shades of grey as the plant progressively went to solid black for the rest of the pressings (about 400 in black). Square of Opposition Records also put out this single.

The first song from this single is called Tie-Dye. It is a fun pop track that makes reference to tie-Dyeing as if it were something fun to do. I don’t understand the reference but it seems like it is not referring to coloring clothing in an interesting way. This song kind of reminds me of Black Flag but with a happy fun feel. It is punk gone happy I guess. I really like the song.

The B side track is called Apple. It has a fun slide guitar sound in the beginning of the track with the drums in a minimalist style. The rest of the band kicks in and becomes more full sounding after half a minute or so. The song has a pogo effect in the guitar playing that makes me think of some of the 80s new wave sound that happened in the mid 80s for sure. It is super fun pop for sure.

I am very excited for the new album from this band. 



This is a new EP from The Late Virginia Summers (TLVS). It precedes the upcoming album from the group with a non-final mix of one of the tracks and a special track from Hill City Eye & Ear Control. The latter is music from a collaborative impov troupe featuring TLVS & some of their friends.

The first track is called Claire Kincaid. This is the track that will be on the upcoming album but this mix is from some point before it was completely finalized. It is a slower track but is very atmospheric and sleepy. There are no lyrics on this version of the track and I don’t know if there is any intention to have any at this point. I like the track but if they decide to add lyrics I wouldn’t be hurt. It could due with lyrics but if they don’t put any on the song would still be a winner.

The second track is called Piece #62. It is a longer track at over eleven minutes. It was recorded during the time when they were putting together the new album but didn’t make it onto the album. It is a slow to build track that sometimes seems like it will never end. The song builds in intensity with volume and instrumentation until the last couple of minutes where everything backs off somewhat abruptly. I kind of like the track but understand why it didn’t make it onto the new album.

The third track is super short but is very heavy sounding. It is supposed to be a collage of sorts that was put together as the album was in the final mixing stages. There is some kind of recorded monolog that has some heavy distorted guitar over it. It kind of reminds me of what Radiohead had done on their second album with a few tracks.

The last track is the song called Sonnets Arrival. It is a live track with the improv troupe that they played with. This song has a banjo being played in the song. This is a new sound for the group. I am not usually a fan of the instrument but is seems to work with this track. The song doesn’t really go anywhere but allows the banjo to sort of meander through the song.

The band is currently shopping the new album around to record companies. I hope that someone picks it up because I have always found their music interesting.
 
That is all for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment