Thursday, October 17, 2013

Vol. 4 Episode 44



I am still waiting for my Graveface Records Indie Go-go support package with two CD and a record from Monster Movie along with the limited Marshmallow Ghosts limited release. I have seen pictures of the Marshmallow Ghosts records and am very excited to get my copy and am hoping to get the MG record up for Halloween.

As I mentioned in the previous post, Graveface Records has sent me a download for The Stargazer Lilies release.

I also have a box coming from Slumberland that has a shirt and a tote in it along with new singles from Veronica Falls and Girls Names.

I am very excited to say that I have purchased a copy of a very rare 7” record from Man or Astro-Man? called Amazing Thrills! In 3-Dimension. It was a promo that was given out with their first album. I have been looking for this for quite a while and am very excited to get it. The problem with this is that it is a Christmas gift and I can’t open it until then. This means that the review of the 7” will not be until after the New Year. Sorry folks you will just have to wait for this one.

Here we go...



This is the groups first album. It was released in June of 2007. They are a French electronic house music duo. The album was over all a great hit in both the US and The UK. It produced five singles. I found the album through my local radio station, 89.3 The Current, with the single D.A.N.C.E. It was so sharp and clean that I had to have the album. The album is supposed to be a disco-opera. The duo state that the basics of disco are present on all tracks under the distortion and eletronica. They have also stated that there are 400 albums that were sampled on the album but the samples are so short that the original artist wouldn’t even know. They call these samples micro samples because they are so short.

There have been five singles released from the album. The first single is called Watters Of Nazareth. This single was released twice. The second time with extra remixes on the release. The single has some super awesome distortion on the bass line. The song doesn’t really go anywhere but the bass line is so cool it doesn’t really matter.

The second single from the album is called D.A.N.C.E. The song is dedicated to Michael Jackson as the duo are big fans of his music. The song also recites many song titles that MJ has recorded. Vocals are provided by the London based Foundation for Young Musicians choir. I haven’t done it yet but I want to get the 12” single for this song because there is a awesome remix for this song called B.E.A.T. This song is just as good and has a cool look at the song, a different perspective you might call it.

The third single from the album is called DVNO. Acording to one of the members of the duo the title of the song relates to the fact that DVNO stands for Divino. He also states, "In most suburbs of the world, in every city, there's most of the time, a nightclub called El Divino...sometimes... Clubs where you have to wear a white shirt to get in, half the time." The song is a great dance track, another track that is easy to get along with.

The fourth single is called Phantom II. The bass in this one is perfectly distorted I think. It conveys the riff musically and sonically in perfection. The strings back up the bass. I think that it gets even better with the distortion turned way down half way through the song. There are no lyrics on this track making the music stand out even more. The creativity that went into this song is just amazing to me with the sonic changes that happen through the song to not only the bass but other instruments as they come in and out of the song.

The last single from the album is called Tthhee Ppaarrttyy. This is actually my least favorite track on the album. The track features vocals from Uffie. It is a slow track that just talks about partying and drinking. It is just not that interesting to me. I don’t want to hear about getting drunk and going to parties to get drunk. It just reminds me of all the problems that teenagers have with this and the major injuries and auto crashes that happen because of these irresponsible kids. I would just like to say that there are reasons for groups like MADD and DARE in this world and this song isn’t helping their cause.

As a whole this album is great, except for that one song. Luckily, the song has the Feat tag on it so it doesn’t get played when I listen to this album.


This is the first album from Chvrches. It was released on the 20th of September, 2013. They are a synth pop group from Glasglow, Scotland. I got this album because they did a live set for my local radio station, 89.3 The Current. They played one of their singles, Revolver, and I thought it was very unique. I actually ended up watching it a few more times because the song was so good. It was very cool watching them work the knobs and changing their sound on the fly depending on what the song needed. I really like the lead vocalists sound. It is a solid but pretty sound that she has.

There has been three singles released from the album so far. The first is called The Mother We Share. It is very electro anthemic. I am not really sure how to describe it other than it is electronic, big and a power pop epic. It is a good song simple as that I guess.

The second single, Recover, is the reason that I got the album. This is the track that I saw on The Current’s web page. There is something very catchy about this track. It is a combination of the appreciated keys and the stuttering vocals that match the beat of the keys. The chorus changes into synth pop genius. Long deliberate notes that flow with the vocals making pop cotton candy clouds. The song is soft wonderful and the backbone of the song is hard deep synth bass. It is easily the best song on the album.

The latest single from the album is called Gun. The song is happy and super danceable. I like the song, it reminds me of the dance music from the mid 80s. It is very nostalgic but still current with the distortion on some parts. I still like Recover better but this is a very close second.

This album makes me very happy and I need to listen to it more. It is that good.


This is  Decyfer Down’s third album. It was just released recently. It is the first album with a new vocalist as the original singer, Caleb Oliver, left for personal reasons. It took a while to get a new album out from the group after the 2008 release of crash and the original vocalist departure. It wasn’t until 2010 that they even started working on this album.

Mary Nikkel from New Release Tuesday stated that "Thematically, the album boldly strikes a balance between calling out the prideful while also recognizing a personal need for grace, backing it up with aggressive guitar grit and striking melodies.” I think that is a good way to look at what is contained on this album. It is good Christian music with a good point.

Fight To Win is the first single released from the album. Musically this reminds me of music from their first album, End Of Grey. There was always something special about that album. This song in particular has the easy to understand lyrics that are poignant and resonate in the heart. The song makes me want to be a better person. It is inspiring.

So In Love is the second single released from the album. This song comes off as a country song to me. It is a simpler song that strikes me in the heart again. It is a love song but it is not specific as to who he is in love with. It is a Christian song sung by a Christian group so you have to assume that it is about God, especially with references to the cross and such. It is a very good beat too. It is a song that I could easily get along with.

That is all I have for this week...

No comments:

Post a Comment