Friday, June 7, 2013

Vol. 4 Episode 22



Nine Inch Nails (NIN) have a new album coming out in September. New single premiered this week on radio stations called Came Back Haunted. You can preorder the album in many formats from NIN.com or any other etailer.

Abandoned Pools also have a new album coming out next month (July 2) called Somnambulist. I haven’t heard anything from it yet but I am still excited.

On with the show...




This is the third in the series of Sun records repressings through Third Man Records. It was originally released in 1953 as a 10” shellac record. I ordered this record after the foul up with the previous two. I had received a seven dollar refund from the Sigur Ros web site and used that money to purchase this record. The record cost me about a dollar and a half after those seven dollars with shipping costs. This was probably the best deal I have ever gotten on a single set. All told I think the three singles cost me about eight bucks. I could have just gotten the set for fifteen but this way seemed to work out quite well. I am not sure if I will get the next set. We’ll see if there is something that interests me.

The two tracks sound completely different from each other. The A side, Bear Cat, is a rough and tough track about how hard it is for a man to be in a relationship with a mean woman. It is a lot of fun and the track rocks pretty good too. The cat noises that he makes are quite annoying though.

The B side track, Walking In The Rain, is a very mellow track. The guitar sounds so smooth and sad. I like the slides that the guitar does too. The vocals come off as smooth as the guitar to. It is a sad track as the story sung is about a man who has lost his girl. He is, as the song says, walking in the rain, waiting for the rain to wash the blues away.

This is a good couple of tracks that I had never heard before. I don’t think that I will be running out to get more from Rufus but I am happy that I have these two tracks.



This is the third album from The Time. It was released in 1984. Like the previous two albums, this is a short six track album. The singles from the album were featured on the movie Purple Rain. Prince was the producer under the name The Starr Company and played all of the instruments on the studio recordings of these songs and Morris Day performed the lead vocals.

There were two singles released from this album. The first is called Jungle Love. It is a fun funk track with animalistic sounds by Day. The song is about wild and crazy things relating to sex. That aside the music is a lot of fun, easy to dance to. The song was also featured at the end of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back with the full band playing on stage.

The second single released from this album is called TheBird. This track was recorded live at First Ave. This was the first time the group had a song on an album live and featuring the full band and prince was not involved at all.

I remember hearing both of these songs on the radio growing up. I loved both tracks but didn’t understand the sexual connotations of Jungle Love. That was fine with me as I liked the music more anyway. It was not until I went garage sailing recently that I found this album along with a few others.

This is a new EP from SubVibe. It was just released this week. If you want the basics for free you can download a copy from Facebook. If you really like what you hear, you can get the EP for nine bucks with extra tracks from your favorite etailer download site (no physical copies available). The EP that I paid for has ten tracks. It is a five track EP with five remixes. It is really some great hard hitting dub step music. I see it more as electronic than dub. There are parts that remind me of old Daft Punk and Tron Legacy style Daft Punk. There are traces of the trance music that I use to listen to in the mid to late 90s as well. This is a great EP that you could have for free. If you like what you hear then please buy the EP. Amazon is selling it for 8.99 now, a buck cheaper than iTunes.
 
That is all I have for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment