Monday, September 10, 2012

Vol. 3 Episode 36



I have some mondays off comming up so here is a bonus episode. I am waiting for some new music to come in the mail this month, Sea Wolf, XX and Grizzly Bear for example, and they will be good ones but this is what I have been thinking about lately.

I also found a clear vinyl version of the new Man or Astro-man? single. I am very excited to get my hands on that one.

So, here we go...

This is Paulas’ second album. It was released in 1991. I really liked this album but in 91’ I ran from dance and soft rock toward the harder sound of the grunge/alternative rock movements. The songs on this album are truly amazing though. I remember listening to this album all throughout the summer of 91’. I would listen to it on my walkman as I fell asleep while camping on the weekends specifically. I couldn’t listen to the album at night through my small boom box because I was not the only one in the four bunk room. My sister slept in one of the beds on the bottom and I slept on one of the beds on top. I can’t remember for sure but I either used my walkman or had a headphone out jack on the boom box. I like to read with the music on too so any chance I had to read I had to have the music on. I don’t have a book associated to this album though.

There were five singles released from this album. The first single, Rush Rush, is a slow ballad. Many were surprised and thought that it was a risky strategy that the first single released was a ballad. This was also her first ballad released as a single. The video helped to push the song further in the chards with its Rebel Without A Cause styling. Keanu Reeves stars along side Paula in the video.

The second single, Promise of A New Day, was released on the heals of the first single. Actually, Rush Rush was still at the top of the charts when this single was released. It is a single that I did not really like simply because of the wood pipe synth sound that is used in the opening and sprinkled throughout the song. It is still a good song I just don’t like that particular sound.

The next single from the album is called Blowing Kisses InThe Wind. I like the opening of the song with the harpsichord playing. The song is heart felt for me because I just wanted to love someone and most of the girls I dated did not seem to understand love. It has taken quite a long time but I have found someone that understands the way that I am. The words to this song just stab me in the heart though. They ring too true. It helps that the backing music is so organic with the use of the piano and stringed instruments. It gets the point across so much easier for me anyway.

The fourth song released as a single from this album is called Vibeology. This is my favorite song from the album. It is a song that brings back her dance roots. It is a fun dance song that seemed to not do so well in the US but helped kick the album up the charts in the rest of the world. The way that she sings on this track, she seems happy. It has a good beat and is just a great dance track. The lyrics do lean toward the sexual side but are not specific.

The last track that was released as a single is called WillYou Marry Me? This is another ballad from the album. It was a dedication to her up coming marriage to Emilio Estevez. Stevie Wonder played the harmonica solo on the track. It is a sweet song that easily moves me as it is a female making the request. It means even more to me now as my wife was the one who asked me first.

There is one other track that I want to make mention of. That is the song U on the album. This song was written by Prince. It has his sound all over the track. I like most of the stuff that prince has done and this track is no exception. It is super funky and having a female sing a Prince style song is so cool.

This is a great album that I guess most would consider a guilty pleasure. I just call it a great album that doesn’t get enough praise.


This is the groups first album. It was released in 2009. The reason that I got into this group is that they are also from New Jersey and have a similar sound to “The Boss”. Although I am not a fan of Springsteen, He has a unique sound in his vocals. It also helped that I had not heard anything from him in over 20 years. I felt that I could handle the sound of his voice especially coming from a couple of underground groups. At this time I had gotten in with a small record label called Suburban Home Records. They sold this record on the limited color scheme of clear with black and gold splatter. It was my first unique record of that caliber. I am not sure how limited that record is but I think that it is very pretty indeed. I have since gotten a couple other colored records like this but this is still my favorite to look at. The group has put out two EPs and a new album has just recently been put out. I am waiting for the vinyl version to be put out for the new album before I get it.

I don’t think that there was a official single released from the album but there was a Devildance sampler put out and one of their tracks was on it. That track was called Like A Fish. This song is a great rocker with cool guitar solos that remind me of the mid to late 80s rock brought back. The song has a great nostalgic feel for me. I think that they may have gone a little to far with the band all together singing on the chorus though. It gives the misleading feel that they want to be arena rock stars right off the bat. I don’t think that is how they meant it to be but it does come off that way.

I really like this album, especially the track Live Grenades. I like this track because of the break down where they sing, “Oh, safety, give me danger, I don’t need no relief.” It is funny and sort of tongue in cheek with the backwards talk. It is also a very short song at 2:20.

This is a great album. I have read reviews that complain of the sound over the album being to much the same. I would not agree with this view with the exception of the vocals. Through out the album the vocals are gritty and breathy. The vocalist needs voice lessons for sure. There is a dramatic change though in the following two EPs that have been released and I am very excited to hear what has changed on the new album.
 
This is an EP released after the album Narrow Stairs (2008) in 2009. The songs on the EP were recorded during the same recording session as Narrow Stairs. I liked Narrow Stairs so much that I wanted more music from that album. That is why I got the EP. Since the songs on this EP were recorded at the same time as Narrow Stairs they would have the same atmosphere. The only thing that was not recorded at the same time was the first track called LittleBribes. The EP was first released as a digital download then later on CD. After the CD was released it was put out on LP. I did not know that there was going to be a vinyl release of the EP and I got it on CD. I am a little disappointed about this but not enough to go out and find it on LP. I have the music on a physical format and that is good enough. There is also a demo version of Talking Bird on this EP too. There was not a single released from the EP. It was over shadowed by the single, Meet Me On The Equinox, that was put out in support for the movie Twilight Saga: New Moon. This EP is good, the songs are good but there is not really a cohesive sound throughout the EP. It is not a group of songs that I go back to. Although it does have the DCFC sound that I like. This is an EP more for the collector than the casual listener.


This is the groups first EP. It was released in 2008 after their first album. It was originally released as a double 7” record and on CD, soon after it was released on a 10” record. I got a 10” version that is transparent red. I got the 10” version because I like all my music in one place (four tracks, one record). This was put out to tide fans over until the second album was released. The funny thing is that I was introduced to the group on the second album, The 59’ Sound. I liked the album so much that I looked into their past, like I normally do. I found their first record, Sink or Swim, and bought it. Then I found this little gem and bought it too. There was no single off of this EP though it is good music.

The title track is a good rocker. Great for an opening track. It gets your juices pumping and excited about the rest of the EP.

The second song, Wherefore Art Though, Elvis?, is a bit slower track with space between the notes. This track shows that the group can expand its craft. It is a good track that shows they are capable of creating good, interesting and fun music.

The third track, Say I Won’t (Recognize), is a banging track. It is not a rocker but the drums are hit hard and are really what make the song move. In the break the tempo changes and slows down. This shows to me that they have good music cred. It does come back though at the end.

The last song, Blue Jeans& White T-shirts, is a slower song. It is not my favorite but it is elegant. At least as elegant as a group that sounds like “The Boss” can be anyway. It is simple with easy drums and guitar and a tinkle of high pitched guitar at the end.

This is a good EP but was mainly set up for fans who wanted more.

That is all I have for now...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment