Friday, July 20, 2012

Vol. 3 Episode 27

So, I think that the stereo will be set up this weekend. I am very excited about this because that means the records that I have been sitting on I can finally listen to and record. This means that you regular readers will get to see all the new music that I have been getting in the mail since the move. There is some really exciting music coming out soon too. Ranging from two Foxes 7" records to the new Grizzly Bear album coming out in September and a new XX album too.

As a side note, I have added links to YouTube for the songs that I have talked about.

Here we go...


This is Daniel’s second album. It was released in 2006. This album was his best in the charts and in sales of his for albums to date. Surprisingly this album is exceptionally good. There were five singles released from the album including the chart topper Bad Day. This was another dollar find at the pawn shop.

Bad Day was the first single released from the album and the best in the charts and sales over and above the album as a whole. This song is why I bought the album. Actually I had listened to the album for a long time in 2007 as a download but had gotten rid of it because I did not buy it as a download, if you know what I mean. The song is very good and talks about common things that happen in life. This is probably why it became such a hit. Who talks about common things within the parameters of music today? It becomes a good song with a good hook. I like it just for that simple reason.

The next single is called Free Loop. The alternate title for the song is Free Loop (One Night Stand). The song uses my favorite instrument, the Rhodes keyboard. It is used on the chorus mainly. The lyrics are a little confusing to be honest. The only thing that is clear for sure is the line that sings, “We can do a one night stand.” What exactly he means by this is unclear because he is not singing specifically about sex. He sings about walking in the rain and calling someone’s name out side but that is it really. I guess I could say good music but confusing lyrics.

The third single off this album is called Jimmy Gets High. This is another song with mostly meaningless lyrics. The music isn’t that great either. The song is about a rock star that lives the rock n’ roll life and gets high regularly because of it. It is that simple really.

The fourth single is called Lie To Me. This is another confusing song lyrically from DP. When I listen to it I hear two different points of view. One is that of a young boy on his way home from where ever. The other is that of a prostitute trying to get the boy up to her room. I may be wrong but that doesn’t seem like a story that I would want to hear let alone my child. The music is still interesting though. It is nothing special but still good.

The fifth single released from the album, Love You Lately, is from the special edition version of the album or CD single only. I don’t have either and have never heard the song so I can’t speak about the song specifically.

If you are not concerned about the lyrics in an album then this album will do you well for background music. otherwise you may have a problem with the album with the confusing lyrics that are all over it.

This is the eighth album from David Bowie. It was released in 1974. It is a concept album based loosely on the George Orwell written book 1984 and Bowie’s own vision of a post-apocalyptic world. Bowie had originally wanted to make a theatrical version of the book but the Orwell estate denied the rights of the book. The songs that are directly related to the book are on the second side of the album.

As written in Wikipedia.com, “Though the album was recorded and released after the 'retirement' of Ziggy Stardust in mid-1973, and featured its own lead character in Halloween Jack ("a real cool cat" who lives in the decaying "Hunger City"), Ziggy was seen to be still very much alive in Diamond Dogs, as evident from Bowie's haircut on the cover and the glam-trash style of the first single "Rebel Rebel". As was the case with some songs on Aladdin Sane, the influence of The Rolling Stones was also evident, particularly in the chugging title track. Elsewhere, however, Bowie had moved on from his earlier work with the epic song suite, "Sweet Thing"/"Candidate"/"Sweet Thing (Reprise)", whilst "Rock 'n' Roll With Me" and the Shaft-inspired wah-wah guitar style of "1984" provided a foretaste of Bowie's next, 'plastic soul', phase. The original vinyl album ended with the juddering refrain (actually, a tape loop) Bruh/bruh/bruh/bruh/bruh, the first syllable of "(Big) Brother", repeated incessantly. The track "Sweet Thing" was Bowie's first try at William S. Burroughs' cut-up style of writing, which Bowie would continue to use for the next 25 years.

There were two singles released from this album. The first was Rebel Rebel. It was Bowie’s farewell to the glam rock genre. It seems to be heavily influenced by The Rolling Stones. Some say that the riff in the song is a rip off of Jayne County’s song Queenage Baby, recorded in 1974. This song hadn’t been released until 2006 on an album called Wane County At The Trucks. Rebel Rebel is my favorite song from the album even if it was copied from some other song. What song isn’t copied from something else anyway?

The second single released from the album is called Diamond Dogs. It is obviously the title track for the album. The first lyrics introduce us to Bowie’s new persona and his environment; Halloween Jack dwells on top of tenement buildings in a post-apocalyptic Manhattan. The guitar sound is again influenced by The Rolling Stones, and shows Bowie moving away from glam rock and on to a proto-punk garage-rock-influenced sound.

This is her eighth album released. It was put out in 2002. She has heavy influences in 60s French pop and what seems to be in the vein of Stereolab this time, although there are still other influences through out the album too.

There was one single released from the album called Sometimes When I Stretch. This track is sung in English. The song is slow moving and interesting lyricly. The syrics depict her under a tree. She describes what is under the tree then she says, “Sometimes when I stretch, I stretch hoping to divide.” It is an interesting concept but it could obviously never happen.

There is a second song that I absolutely love from this album called Coral Bracelet. From what I have read in the CD booklet, the guys from my other favorite band, Eggstone, wrote this song for April March, making this song one of my favorites ever made. Eggstone music with April March vocals. This song is genius!


This is the fourth album, excluding remix albums, from The Faint. It was released in 2004. This album caught my attention in 2005 when my local public radio station, 89.3 The Current, played the single I Disappear. I searched for this album on the internet with out much resistance. I think I found it on Amazon for cheap on CD. There are some really cool sounds that are used on this album that I really like. For example the super distorted bass guitar sound on the song I Disappear. I saw a video of the group recording this song and what they did to get that sound. Apparently they cut a linear hole in the bass driver and inserted a crushed flat aluminum can. What a creative way to get an interesting sound. This was the only single that was released from the album that I know of. As a whole the album deals with sex, birth, relationships and the quirks that relate to these things. If you are not interested then don’t bother with this album because the lyrics stand out just as much as the music does on this album.

 That is all I have for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment