Friday, April 20, 2012

Vol. 3 Episode 15

All right folks, tomorrow is Record Store Day 2012. If you can visit your local record store and buy something! I will be at the Electric Fetus early tomorrow. There are a few things on my list but I may be pushed to only pick up one thing that I absolutely have to have. Here we go...


This is the third album from Smashing Pumpkins. It was a double album released in 1995. There were six singles released from this album. The first single released from the album is called Bullet With Butterfly Wings. This song will always have a special spot in my heart. This was released just as I was starting college after high school. It means the end of the last free summer for me as the single was released in the fall of 95. I still had that angst built up from high school but the freedom felt from finally being done with public school but knowing that I will have to go through college where there are no summers off. It was interesting time for me. it was the ending of tired stories and new ones starting. The next single released from the album is called 1979. It is my absolute favorite song from the group, even above Today from the previous album. This song has mostly singable lyrics with a fun echo in between lyric lines. There were also loops and samples used in this song. This is also part of what I really like about the song. The song is one of the most important tracks on the album Billy Corgan has said in the past. The song has a really fun poppy beat for a heavy alternative band at the time. I think that this is also part of my draw to the song. I liked the song so much that I bought the CD single. The B-sides of the single are just as good as the song itself in my opinion. The third single from this album is called Zero. Zero is a heavy track that has singable lyrics as well. The lyrics don’t really mean anything to me so I can sing along and not really care what is being said. The single for this song has a special 23 minute track that is snippets of riffs that were not used in the songs of Melancholy and The Infinite Sadness. It is interesting if for just that fact. The next single released from the album is called Tonight, Tonight. This song was overplayed so much on my radio stations that I couldn’t listen to it for over 20 years. I think that the first time that I have listened to it all the way through was to write this review. It is a nice mellow song with heavy inspiring drum rhythms. It also has smooth vocals from Corgan, even with his high pitch wail it still comes off as smooth. The fifth single released from this album was a promo single called Muzzle. It was a song about Corgans’ perception of what people thought of him. Either way it is not the greatest single on the album. The last single released from this album is called Thirty-Three. I received this single as a gift from my x-wifes brother. We were really good friends at the time and he knew that I liked this band a lot. He did not understand at this time why. It was not until five years later that he got into this album. All I could say was, “I told you so.” I think that all of the B-sides of the singles released from this album are just as important as the whole of the album and should all be listened together as a full album. I think that this album has a lot of garbage in it but the singles make the album very memorable. If one can’t stand to listen to the whole album at least listen to the singles. I don’t blame you if you can’t. It is a double album after all.

This is the fifth 7” released from Man or Astro-Man? It was released in 1993. There were 3000 copies pressed on black vinyl. As the group has done in the past, the sides are not labeled A and B. They are labeled Secret Agent Side (SA) and Double Agent Side (DA). Some copies of this single had an additional Man or Astro-Man? fan club insert. The 7” is supposed to be a sound track for a movie called Mission Into Chaos. This is a fictional movie created by Coco though. There was a contest for anyone who could find a copy of the film. Since the film did not exist fans submitted films that they made. There was a winner of the contest. The winners name was listed in the follow up to this single. The name of that single was Return To Chaos. There are five tracks on this EP, two on the SA side and three on the DA side. The first track on the SA side is called Name of Numbers and the second is called Of Sex and Demise. The track names on the DA side tracks are Maddness In The Streets, Within A Martian Heart and Point Blank.  All created specifically for this EP. The tracks were later used on other albums, singles and EPs.

This is the second album form The Black Keys. It was released in 2003. The group was compared frequently to The White Stripes because of the similarity in music genre styles, blues-rock/garage-rock. They are also a two member band like The White Stripes. There were three singles released from the album. The first single, Set You Free, has become a classic because of its inclusion in the movie School of Rock. For me the song is not that spectacular. I think that the only reason that it gets recognition is for the simple fact that it was included in that movie. The second single released from the movie is called Hard Row. It is a little bit more interesting than the first single but still, it doesn’t make me want to listen to it over and over. The last single released from the album is a cover of the song Have Love Will Travel. This song has something special. It has heart and super musicality. There is one other song that I think should have been the fourth single from this album. That song is called Everywhere I Go. It is the seventh track on the album. It is another cover song but this one was originally written by Junior Kimbrough. Dan Auerbach kept the original sloppy verbal delivery that Junior had as a vocalist making the song sound very original, a very difficult task indeed. Junior died in 1998 and this is one way to help keep his music alive and passing it on to a new generation. This is a good album but not a great one. I like the blues sound that the group puts out but it may not be fore everybody.

This is Andrew W.K. first album. It was released in 2001. This album is instantly recognizable by its cover art. This cover was very controversial when it was released. There was a black sticker over the blood when it was released in 2001. When I did the research on the album in the past I found out that it was not his blood but in fact it is pigs blood. He did try to get a bloody nose but it did not work as planed and they had to come up with a different way to get the blood on his face. Previous to the regular singles that were released in support of this album an EP for the 8th song on the album was released. That song is called Party Till You Puke. The EP contained three different versions of the song plus three songs included only on the EP. The song itself is fast paced dance rock music. The song uses standard rock instruments along with a synth sound over the top. It is a lot of fun dance punk rock music. The first actual single, and the reason that I bought the album, is called Party Hard. It is the first song from Andrew that was a big success in the charts. The song has a great formula with standard rock instruments but also using piano and synth sounds. It is another great hardcore punk rock song. The second single from the album is called She Is Beautiful. This song leads off with a great guitar solo and slowly adds other instruments making another fast great punk track proclaiming that girls are beautiful like it states in the title of the song. The videos for both of these singles are really quite entertaining. Andrew is a very creative man and plays his parts in both of these videos very well. I would recommend that every one hear this album at least once and watch the two videos for the singles.



No comments:

Post a Comment