Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Vol. 3 Episode 5


Here is a set that I have been meaning to review for months but other stuff kept coming up. I have finally got around to them and here they are. Remember if you are interested in any of these the link will take you to the US Amazon store. On the other hand most of this could be gotten for cheap at a used record store.

This is the third album from Bananarama. It was released in 1986. The track Do Not Disturb was the first single from this album. The band did not really like the track. The lyricists forced the track on the album though. The vinyl for the single was issued as three different shapes, the faces of each of the members of the band. They each came with a display for the records. The single was released in the UK, Australia, Germany and Japan. The second single from the album was Venus. This track was not originally a dance style track. The members of the group were met with resistance from the producers who liked the non-dance version. The group persisted and the producers finally relented and mixed a dance version. It became a smash hit because of this. This is for sure the track that I remember hearing on the radio. It has been used in commercials frequently keeping the track in my mind though too. The next single released from this album is called More Than Physical. Because of the commercial success of the previous single, Venus, this track was given a similar dance style mix. This did not really help the track though and it did not chart as well as Venus did. The next track, called A Trick Of The Night, is a ballad and is the last single released from the album. The album as a whole is pretty good. I got the album just for Venus but was pleasantly surprised with the content of the album.

This is the seventh album from Billy Joel. It was released in1980. I remember just about all of the singles off this album. I have a big liking for Joel. I have just about everything I can get my hands on up to Storm Front. He lost me after that album. I am not sure if it is the fact that I remember hearing his music on the radio or if it is just that I got into his music in the late 80s because of a friend that I had who was into his music. Either way I still really enjoy his music even if I don’t listen to it all of the time. The first single from this album is All For Leyna. The lyric tells a story of a guy who has a one night stand with a girl named Leyna and then becomes obsessed with her. It was not a world wide release and did not chart that well either. The next single, You May Be Right, was a big chart hit in the US but not so much in the UK. This is another track I remember hearing on the radio as a kid. It is a very fun track that I very much enjoyed growing up. The third single from this album is called It’s Still Rock and Roll To Me. The song takes a cynical look at the music industry. It is sort of a back and forth between producer a musician where the musician feels that the music will speak for itself over what he wears or drives etc. This was another big hit for Joel. The next single, Don’t Ask Me Why, slowed the pace down a little with more of a folk sound and Latin style drums backing the track. It was still a good charting track but not as well as the previous two tracks. The track Sometimes A Fantasy was the last single released from the album. The track is supposed to be about a man who is away from his significant other and wants to have phone sex. I totally did not pick up on this as a kid and if I had not read it on the internets I wouldn’t have believed it at all. When I think about this track I think about it as a kid of about five or six years of age and sex just does not fit into that mind set. The only exposure that I had to fantasy was that of the movies, mainly Star Wars. So, I think of things like robots or dragons and things like that and ignore most of the lyrics all together. The album is a great first half and then slows down a bit on the second half. If you are a fan and do not have it all ready defiantly get it.

This is the second album from The Cars. It was released in1979. I remember that my father had this album on cassette. I don’t remember ever hearing him play the album though. I am not sure why he never played the album when I was around. It could be that he just never listened to the album I guess. At any rate I remember that we did own it. There were only a few singles released off this album. The first is called Let’s Go. This track has a great synth line that I really love. This is another track that I remember hearing on the radio. The strings in the background also make this track something special. The song appears to be about a boy that wants to date a girl who refuses all of his advances. She would rather be out on the scene than be pined down to one boy. The next single from the album is called It’s All I Can Do. This track is straight up romantic pop. The cars are famous for writing track like this. It is not as good as the first track for me but it is still a good track none the less. It is a pretty good album over all. The cover art work was done by artist Alberto Vargas. He is a famous artist that did paintings and drawings of pinup girls for Esquire and Play Boy magazines in the 40s and 60s. The band pleaded with him to do a cover for them. He was retired by this time. His niece was a big fan of the group and convinced him to take on the job for the group.

This is the third album from Green Day. It was released in 1994. There were five singles released from this album. This is the groups’ best selling album to date. I first found out about the group upon the release of the first single from this album, Longview. The track was their first single to top the modern rock charts. The video was played consistently on MTV also helping the song chart at the top. The song is about severe boredom, doing nothing but masturbating and smoking marijuana all day long. The next single released is called Welcome To Paradise. This song was originally released on their previous album, Kerplunk! The song was re-recorded for Dookie. The song is about the members of the band moving out of their parents’ homes and into an abandoned house that they lived in without paying rent. The third single released from the album is called Basket Case. This is another one of my favorite track from the album. The song is about the lead singers’, Billie Joe Armstrong, struggle with anxiety. This was before he was diagnosed with panic disorder. The next single released from this album is called When I Come Around. This one is their highest charting single next to the later track Boulevard of Broken Dreams. I really like the bass line for this tracks along with the bass lines for Basket Case and Longview. This is probably why I got into the group in the first place, amazing bass lines. The last single released from the album is called She. This track was released as a radio only single. The album as a whole is very good. I would recommend this album to anyone and everyone. You all should hear this one for sure.

This is the fourteenth album from prince. It was released in 1992. There were five singles released from this album. I remember a girlfriend having this album. I borrowed it and recorded it to cassette. I remember it being a great album but a very long album. There are also different versions of the album that have been released. I found a copy of the standard version of the album on CD. I have the songs that I want though and am happy with the version that I have. The first single from the album is called Sexy MF. The song cause a lot of controversy because of the chorus line, “Sexy motherfucker.” Because of this there was an edited version created for radio, MTV and a clean version of the album. The song takes from R&B and funk styles. There are also some great horn parts and a sax solo in the song. The next single released from the album is called My Name Is Prince. This is funny because not long after the release of this album he changed his name to O(+>, an unpronounceable symbol. The track has a very cool dance beat to it. The track also uses samples from songs that he has previously written and recorded. Those songs are I Wanna Be Your Lover, Partyup, and Controversy. The third single released from the album is called 7. This is one of my favorite tracks on the album. The harmonics used under princes lead vocals makes me feel warm and fuzzy in side. The lyrics are also very easy to memorize as well. I am sure that this helps the single too. The next track, called Damn U, did not chart as well. This is a super slow romantic R&B track. There is a certain style that people expected in the 90s from Prince and this track just wasn’t it. It is still a good song done very well but not what the public wanted at the time. The last single released from this album is called The Morning Papers. This is another slowed down R&B track that also did not chart very well. I like this track a lot better than Damn U though. Although this album is on the long side, this is a failing of prince on many albums, it still contains some really great tracks that should be heard even if you are not a fan of Prince.

This is the eights studio album from The Who. It was released in 1978. This is the last album with drummer Keith Moon. He died about three weeks after the album was released. There are technically three tracks that were released as singles. The First two were released as a double A side single. The A side was Who Are You and the AA side was Had Enough. The single Who Are You is the groups biggest single to date. It was given resurgence with the use of the track on the show CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. This is the reason that I started to hunt down music by The Who. I thought to my self that if a band could create a song that is this good they have to have other gems that I have probably heard in the past but can’t remember. The AA side to this single, Had Enough, just doesn’t do it for me. It is more on the wishy washy side of The Who’s catalog. I could do with out it all together. The last single from this album is called 905.  The lyrics describe a cloned human implanted with memories instead of having an actual childhood, and was created to serve an unspecified purpose and is unable to do anything else. He knows though that at least at the end of his life his soul will be free from his manufactured existence. The song uses some really cool multiphonic Polymoog synthesizer sounds that I really like. Unfortunately, this doesn’t save the song. It is still not as good as the first single. My suggestion is to just buy the first single and leave the rest of the album behind.

That is all I have for now ...


No comments:

Post a Comment