Friday, January 20, 2012

Vol. 3 Episode 2


Here it is, number two, with a wide variety of music to listen to.

This is the second album from The B-52’s. It was released in 1980. This was their first album that they started using drum machines on. They recorded this in the Bahamas as was the first album. There were three singles released from this album. The first single from the album is called Private Idaho. I had no idea what the singles were off this album when I found a copy of the album. When I listened to the album I found that this song was the song that I recognized the most. I probably heard the song quite a few times on the radio. The band was thanked in the credits of the 1991 film My Own Private Idaho for the use of the singles title. The second single from this album is called Party Out of Bounds. The song is a lot of fun and has elements that become more prominent in future albums. The Third single is called Give Me Back My Man. This is a song that features Cindy Wilson on lead vocals. It is a staple in their concerts. It is a great song but is not as strong as Private Idaho. This is a great album as a whole and comes of as a part two for their first self titled album. Many of the songs are from the same era but were not recorded for the first album. This is why it feels like a part two for the first album. 

This is the second album from Basement Jaxx. It was released in 2001. They are an electronic dance group. There were quite a few tracks from this album that were released as singles. The first single released from the album is called Romeo. This song features a good female vocal lead. With a classic electronic sound the music is very staccato with buzzing synth soaring between. The second single from the album is called Jus 1 Kiss. This song follows a more standard rock sound with guitars. The vocals are very repetitive but it is still a fun dance song. The next single from the album is called Where’s Your Head At. This was the reason that I bought the album. There is something very cool and unnerving about the song at the same time. There are samples used from two Gary Numan songs, M.E. and This Wreckage. There was a video that went along with this track that was just as strange. It matched the music very well. The next single, called Get Me Off, was just a little to direct for me. The music is cool but the lyrics are just nest to being to specific. The last single from this album is called Do Your Thing. It is a fun jazz number that I really enjoy. It is totally different from the rest of the album in my opinion. It is not very often that you hear jazz electronic tracks even though they are in a very similar vein. I have a couple of electronic artists’ album that has fun jazz styled tracks and they stand out from the rest of the album. They are usually the best tracks on the album.

This is the second album from Combustible Edison. It was released in 1996. The album if filled with colorful exotic and mysterious music. The album has 13 tracks of unique lounge music. There were a few singles released from the album but none of them charted very well. The first was Short Double Latte. This is a really great short song with distorted electromechanical keyboards and guitars. It is just music, no lyrics on this one. It is such a smooth track even with the distortion on the instruments. The second single is called Bluebeard. This track features the brilliant lovely vocals from Miss Lily Banquette. She has a wonderful voice that is very easy to listen to. This one also has what sounds like a flute in the track to support her vocals. It is very easy on the ears to listen to this track. The fan favorite from this album is a track called Solid State. The track has a tiki lounge drum beat with space like sound effects in the background. Making it seem like you are at a personal wet bar on a space ship headed for Saturn or some other planet in out solar system. The whole album is a blast to listen to from start to finish. I would recommend this album to everyone who has interest in lounge music from the past or the 90s resurgence.

This is the second album from The Doobie Brothers. It was released in 1972. There were only a couple singles released from the album but There are other tracks that I remember hearing on the classic rock station that my father listened to from this album too. The first single is called Listen To The Music. For me this is a super catchy track that has elements of psychedelia mixed in with the folk stylings that were becoming popular at that time. It is the beginnings of the 70s culture in music. The second single released from the album is called Jesus Is Just Alright. This is a cover of a song done by The Art Reynolds Singers in 1966. There have been other bands that have covered this track too including The Byrds. I like this version that The Doobie Brothers put out. I like the folk pop feel that they put on this version of the song. One of the tracks that I remember hearing on the radio from this album is Rockin’ Down The Highway. I think that this song fits in with the convoy premise that was happening in America a few years later. This may be why it was picked up by radio stations after the album was put out. It is a great track that has the feel of continuously moving with its train sounding drum beats on the high hat, reminiscent of the Johnny Cash drum beats. This is a great album that has cool folk/rock sounds that I have been searching for. The singles are great and the other tracks that come from this album aren’t half bad either. I could listen to this album quite a few times before getting board with the music.

This is the seventh album from Saves The Day. It was released in 2011. The album release was pushed back because of other projects and members leaving the band. This made recording the album a little difficult thus the album release being later than expected. This album is the last in a trilogy set. The first and second of the set being Sound The Alarm and Under The Boards. This album was pressed on black vinyl only because of the “sonic superiority” of black over colored vinyl. I thought this was strange since both Sound The Alarm and Under The Boards were orange and green respectively. The first single from the album is called Living Without Love. Uppon the announcement that this was going to be the first single people interested could download the track for free from the bands website. One could also get the track free with preorder of the album along with the track Undress Me. The second single from the album is Deranged & Desperate. This track has a cool guitar part where every note is slightly bent in the verse part of the song. The chorus of the song is pretty standard but fun. The first track from the album, the title track, called Daybreak, is a very exceptional track with five distinct parts. Each part of the song has its own sub-title in the original track listing. It is really a great opening track but it can be a bit daunting to listen to with the track being nearly 10 minutes and 45 seconds long. I think that this is one of their best albums to date. I have been collecting their albums since their third albums release. I really enjoy the music that this group creates.

This is the fifth album from Spoon. It was released in 2005. This is a great album that I happen to hear tracks from just as I was getting into the new indie music of the 2000s era. I heard the first single from the album, I Turn My Camera On, on my favorite radio station, 89.3 The Current. The song has a fun staccato bass line to it. The guitar is also staccato but is only strummed on every other bass note hit giving emphasis to only parts of the music. It is a very interesting track in its simplicity. The next single released from the album is called Sister Jack. This is a more straight forward track with vocals that are slightly out of tune from each other. I think that this is where the interest in the song is. Other wise the song is just a basic rock track. It is a fun track but still the interest is in the vocals. This album has a very special track on it for me, the song I Summon You. I met my current wife when I was listening to this album in 2007. We started seeing each other and I used the title of the song in a text when I drove up to the house before a party she was having. It was cute because the instant she got the text she ran out the door to embrace me in a hug. It is a moment that will be etched in my brain for ever. I don’t have the text and I am sure that she doesn’t either because that was about four phones ago. But I am sure that the text read, “I summon you here my love!” The album as a whole is very similar to every other album that Spoon has put out but different at the same time. They seem to have a very vague style that appears to be a specific shape from far away but upon closer inspection is very different on each album and each track. I really don’t know why they are not more popular. They could rival Radiohead in my opinion and I am a Radiohead super fan.

 That is all I have for now...



No comments:

Post a Comment