Saturday, October 22, 2011

Vol. 2 Episode 44


 I had a bit of a delay getting this one out with MEA in the schools and all, sorry.

This is the second album from Fatboy Slim. It was released in 1998. It is considered to be a big beat electronic record. The album had issues with profanity, primarily for the track Fucking In Heaven where the word “Fucking” is spoken 108 times from a sample of DJ Freddy Fresh. The album was given a parental advisory sticker because of the profanity issue. There are four singles that were released from this album plus a fifth promo single. The first single is The Rockafeller Skank. Because of the four samples used in the song, Fatboy Slim (Norman Cook), does not receive any royalties for the song. The royalties are split 25% to each of the owners of the songs that are sampled. It is a great song with a great beat. I think that he got robbed with the ownership of this song. I think that he should have gotten to keep at least 25% of the profits on this song. The song couldn’t have been made with out his creative ideas to put the samples together to make the song. He should have gotten paid too is all I am saying. The next single from this album is called Gangster Tripping. This song uses samples mostly from other DJ artists. I think that, by using other DJs works, the royalties mainly remained with Fatboy Slim on this track. This song has a cool funky beat to it with no swear words in it (kid friendly). The third single, just about everyone from the 90s should know, is called Praise You. The song is supposedly about praising the clones, if science was successful, as normal human beings. The video, also very memorable for the time, was made by Spike Jones. It featured a “dance troop” that was seemingly home video taped while they danced a routine to this song. The video was kind of quirky but still funny to me. The next single released from the album is called Right Here, Right Now. This song has a really cool beat that is backed by a building string chord progression. It has a great sound and makes me want to, if not dance, bob my head to the driving beat. The repetitive word through the song is “Bounce”. There have been some musicologists that say the echo of the word has been edited to sound like the name of Norman’s favorite author, Ben Elton. I think that this is a bunch of baloney because who in their right mind would try to edit the echo of a word. That is ridiculous in my mind. But who am I to second guess a musicologist?  Anyway, the song is another fun song to bob your head to. The whole album is fun really. With the exception of the song Fucking In Heaven the album is pretty clean in my opinion.

This is the eights album from R.E.M. It was released in 1992. There were a whopping six singles released from this album. This album was released on the heels of Out Of Time. The first single, Drive, was not the hit that the band thought that it would be. At least, it was not the number one single that past albums initial released singles have been. It is still a good track in my opinion though. The next single from the album is called Man On The Moon. The song is a reference to Andy Kaufman and his crazy antics ranging from Elvis impersonations to his work with wrestlers. The song also references the conspiracy theory that the moon landings were faked. The song also lent its name to the movie from 1999 that is based on Andy Kaufman’s life. I like the music for the song but I could care less about the lyrics. The band has a tendency to make songs about reality though, such as *69 and this song, so you kind of have to live with them if you are going to be a fan of the group. The next single from this album is called The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight. This is not a great song but it is a good song. It is classic R.E.M. Sometimes, when this song is on, I find myself thinking that this is a good song but when is it going to be over. I like the track but it is not a song I want to hear all the time. What I do like is the organ. I don’t usually like the organ played in a song but this organ sound is very sweet. The fourth single is called Everybody Hurts. This was a track that stood out in my life during high school. It was played to no end it seemed on MTV. The video took place in a major traffic jam on a major highway during rush hour. The video moves by many cars with people in each car. Each car is different and each person in each car is different. The band and the people get out of the cars and start walking. It is really a do nothing, go nowhere video but it somehow still has meaning. That meaning is that we are all the same in some way. By the lyrics we are all the same in that everybody hurts. There are, of course, more ways that just this that we are all the same but just as many that show we are different as well. The next single is called Nightswimming. This is my favorite track on the album. It reminds me of something that I always wanted to do. The lyrics perfectly depict what I would imagine it would be like. The song is a slower song with a wide array of instrumentation. I particularly like the string arrangement when it is accompanied by the Obo. The song also reminds me of the last scene in the movie Hackers. The pair are in a pool that is closed and across the way the buildings light up with their alias names. It was a cute end to the movie. Anyway, on to the last single. It is called Find The River. This song is not one of my favorites. It is still interesting though. It kind of has a Midnight Cowboy feel to it. I really like the theme to Midnight Cowboy. I think that I am not a fan of the song because of the lyrics. Midnight Cowboy theme is just music. It just doesn’t seem to work for me to add lyrics to the song. I think it would have been better if Find The River would have been remade into an instrumental track. This album seems to be very depressing. If you are in that mood then, by all means, go and listen to the album. 

This is OK Go’s first album. It was released in 2002. I fell in love with them on their first single, Get Over It. The song features the classic Bass drum hit and clap alternating similar to the song We Will Rock You from Queen but a bit more simplistic and rhythmic. I really like the song because I can easily sing the lyrics as they are annunciated very clearly through the song. The next single from the album is called Don’t Ask Me. This is a song that has a great beat to dance to. It is yet another song that is clearly annunciated and easy to sing along with. The lyrics to this song lead me to believe that they are singing about someone that seems to think that they are better than the singer is and the lyricist can’t stand it and lets them know that they can’t stand it too. Singing this song, for me, is a good way to get my angered emotions out. It is also just a lot of fun to sing along with these songs too. There was only two songs released from this album as singles. I will say that when I was wooing my wife I made her a CD with the track called C-C-C-Cinnamon Lips on it. It is a track that describes parts of the body, nothing explicit mind you, in a delicious way. It was a cute way to say to her that I thought she was cute. Her sister did not really like the track but then I was not trying to woo her sister. It all worked out in the end I guess. The album was very indie for the time I guess. I always seem to have been on the lookout for underground music I guess but I have said that in the past very frequently too.
 
This is the first album by the artist known as Kenna. It was released in 2003. I found out about Kenna from MTV. They had put out the video for the first single about a year before the album was released. I remember being fascinated with the video. I wanted more from this new artist. Then I found out that the album had been delayed. I kept my eye out for the album though. The video is brilliant and everyone should watch it. The name of the first single that was released is Hell Bent. The second song released from this album is called Freetime. This track is more upbeat than the first single was and the video to go with it seems to be happier as well. The video for this one is just as creative. It is viewed from a worms eye view. What I mean is that the video is shot from the shins of the actors down. The video is also a love story. It is a very interesting way to view a love story at that. You can see that video here. The last single released from this album is called Sunday After You. The release version of this song is actually a remix of the song by Chad Hugo. This version is very different from the album version. This is a really great dance album with a wide variety styles on it. It is a lot of fun but can be a downer at the same time. 

Well, That is all I got for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment