Saturday, September 24, 2011

Vol. 2 Episode 40


I have quite a variety here, in reference to a time line that is.

This is the latest effort from Daft Punk. It is not a standard release from the group as there are live orchestral movements related to the movie as well as the standard Daft Punk electronic music. It was released in 2010. I was very excited about this soundtrack when I heard that Daft Punk was involved with it. I almost pre-ordered the soundtrack directly from Disney when I found out about that too. There are some very spectacular moments on this soundtrack. This usually happens when the orchestra are not involved in the music. The big hit single from the album is a song called Derezzed. It is a short track with very big beats (just under two minutes).  The song is just music, just the way I like it. There was a video to help promote the song and the soundtrack too. It features the duo that is Daft Punk walking into the Flynn’s arcade to play a video game. The video game is a jousting game. They play the game and that is about it. There are some other good points in this sound track that could have been very easily used a promos as well. Those songs feature the big beats or distorted bass lines that are very prominent in today’s electronic music. A few of those tracks that I would choose as highlights are; The Game Has Changed, End Of Line and Tron Legacy (End Title).  I just found out that there are seven additional tracks that can be found on the two disc vinyl edition of the album. I intend to get a copy of this because I want to own as much of the music from this movie as possible. It is very good music and there is not much music in this world that uses a full orchestra to compliment electronic music. Although the music comes off as a bit wishy washy it is a great start in the use of electronic music in tandem with the grand sound of an orchestra. I would recommend this album to anybody who is into either classical or electronic music. It will bring at least reasonable doubt to the lovers and the haters of both genres.

This is a compilation EP released on 10” vinyl originally. Please don’t get this confused with Super Black Market Clash. They do not contain the same tracks. This collection of B-sides was released in 1980. The tracks that were contained on the album were only available in the US as import singles. I happen to run across this 10” record at a local record store. It looked to be in pretty good condition and I knew how important this record was in music history, at least in the US anyway since the songs were common in the UK. Four of the nine songs are reggae influenced remixes. If you are into the clash this is an interesting set of songs. This collection was rereleased in a 12” and cassette versions. It was released on CD for a short while but was discontinued when Super Black Market Clash was released.


This was a solo effort from Iggy Pop released in 1986. David Bowie was the main collaborator on this album. Although Bowie did not play any instruments on the album he did co-write almost all of the songs on the album. The big hit single that was released from the album, Wild Wild Child (Wild One), was a cover of Johnny O’Keefe’s original song, Wild One. This song had a big influence on me as a kid. I was eleven at the time and thought that the use of synthisizers with regular rock sounds, Guitar and the like, was a brilliant idea. Apparently Iggy Pop did not think so as he has stated that they album was a big failure for him. The other singles released from the album include; Cry For Love, Isolation, and Shades. Of these three other singles the only one that I may have had any interest in was Cry For Love. I am just a romantic at heart and this song did have a little something in it that I was interested in. The album as a whole is pretty lame but if just those couple of songs are taken off it would have gone un heard in most homes. I bought the album for a reasonable price used. The record itself was in amazing condition so I couldn’t turn it down for the price. I will say this about the album, the title track has a fun beat that may be its saving grace after Wild Wild Child (Wild One) that is.

This is the fifth album from Led Zeppelin. It was released in 1973. There are only eight songs that make up this album. I could swear that I know every song that is on this album from being played on the radio. There were only two songs that were released as singles from the album though. The first single released from this album is called Over The Hills And Far Away. This song has become a staple in the classic rock radio stations. For a long time I would not have anything to do with this type of music. This was all that my father listened to when I was a kid, classic rock radio stations that is. It took me a long time to get over the fact that it was my fathers’ music before I would listen to it because I wanted to listen to this type of music. It really is some great music now that I have found the music on my own again. It is just to bad that you can’t find the music on vinyl as easily as you could when it came out. Now it takes either some serious hunting to find a good copy or a lot of money to find a sealed new repressing of the music. This single was backed by the B-side (AA-side?) of Dancing Days. This was not the lead single but was a fantastic song in its own right. This is yet another song that typifies the classic rock genre. It was not issued as a single but was strong enough to have been so. The way that the guitar sings in between The vocals is absolutely genius. The keyboards that back the song are perfect as well. The second single from this album is called The Crudge. The bass line from this song is super funky. If that was all that there was to this song I could listen to the song all day, over and over. As the song stands the synth part of the song is so bad that I cringe every time I hear it come in. The guitar on the song is super simple but works so well with the song. As this album stands it is brilliant, I would listen to it every day except that there is so much other music that I want to hear too. I find it very hard to review albums that have been reviewed millions of times. I mean what hasn’t already been said about these classic albums that I could say differently. There isn’t much that I could possibly say that could be different. I guess what I really want to say about them is that I have found them again after not being forced to hear them from my father and I love the music that they have to offer. I would hope that people like me will read these posts and it will give them a drive to hunt down their parents old collections or hunt the music down themselves and be able to enjoy the music that they contain instead of dreading the music that their parents loved.


 That is all I have for now...

1 comment:

  1. Interesting view of music from childhood. I grew up without a radio and basically just know the songs I heard in the car. I was 11 when the Beatles came to America, got my first little transistor radio and was there for the whole British Invasion. Of course I was contrary, George Harrison was my favorite and I loved Gerry and the Pacemakers. Musically, the 60's were a great time to be a teen.

    ReplyDelete