Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Vol. 2, Episode 26

David Bowie – Space Oddity
This album was released in late 1969. It was the second release from David Bowie. Most fans and critics consider it his first regular release. There are two singles from this album. The most popular of which is the title track Space Oddity. The track is mostly an acoustic track with the additional use of an instrument called a Stylophone. It is a pocket electronic organ. The organ fits in the palm of your hand and uses a stylus to play. The song is about the classic character made famous by Bowie named Major Tom. The idea for the song is inspired by Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey. Although it is not hinted at directly, the song is supposed to be referencing the character, Major Tom, taking heroin. It is referenced in a song that Bowie later wrote, from the album Scary Monsters and Super Creeps, called Ashes To Ashes: “We know Major Tom was a junkie.” I remember seeing a video for this song on MTV in the 80s. It is basically Bowie sitting cross legged on a stool in a studio with an acoustic guitar. There are some clips of a camera going through the studio viewing various pieces of recording gear. Bowie is dressed up in what he started wearing for The Rise And Fall of Ziggy Stardust so I could only guess that the video was recorded in the early 70s. There was a second single from this album called Memory of A Free Festival. The track was a big failure in the US as there is basicly just Bowie and an accordion. The song slowly builds but doesn’t gain enough steam to really dance to. There were a few singles released after this album that were not included on the album. They did not chart very well either. All in all, this is a good album. I got the 40th anniversary vinyl release recently for ten bucks off the regular price. This is really the only reason that I got the album. It was the last album that I have been after from Bowie but I think I would have been just as satisfied if I had gotten it on CD. I say this because it is a repressing and not an original pressing. I think that if I had found an original pressing I would be happier but as it is it is still a good copy.

U2 – Zooropa
This is the eighth studio album from the group. It was released in 1993. The album explored the themes of technology, media and oversaturation. The album was originally intended to be an EP but the band ended up with more material than they anticipated and it became a full length album. There were three singles released from the album. The first single is called Numb. The song features The Edge speaking in monotone with various samples and sound effects used through out the song with Bono and Larry Mullen Jr. singing backup vocals. This was the first song from U2 that I really liked. There was something more experimental about this song than the usual U2 sound that I was not really interested in. I was after music that did not sound standard to me in music at this time. I also started getting into Radiohead with the release of their first album, Pablo Honey, and single, Creep. I bought this album on cassette because I thought of cassettes as disposable media. I was not sure that the album would be good enough to keep. As it turns out I loved the album. I did not get the album on CD until recently though. The video featured The Edge sitting down and talking the lyrics of the song. It is a black background with people walking between him and the black backdrop. Various things are done to The Edge through the song. The video is boring but entertaining at the same time. The second single from this album is called Lemon. I did not like this one as much as Numb. It was still catchy though. The song features Bono singing in falsetto through most of the song. The song is supposed to be dedicated to Bono’s mother’s video recordings. The video for the song was filmed in black and white. It was set up to pay tribute to Eadweard Muybridge and his device called the Zoopraxiscope. It is a device that allows the capture of fast motion on film. The third and last single from this album is called Stay (Faraway, So Close). It is a good relaxing song. The song is also based on the movie of the same name. This album also features a duet with Johnny Cash as the last track on the album. I am a big fan of “The Man In Black” and this song does not disappoint. I love this album because of the experimental sounds that are used within. I loved this album before I even cared about U2 or any of their other albums. I say this mainly because I disliked Achtung Baby so much. Both albums have great music but I would turn to Zooropa before Achtung Baby 99% of the time.

U2 – Pop
This was the follow up to Zooropa. It was released in 1997, four years after the previous album. This album continued the groups’ transition into a new style of music utilizing sounds from alternative rock, techno, dance and electronica. The album also used new production styles including the use of samples, loops, sequencing and the use of drum machines. The first single from the album is called Discothèque. The song reminds me of the cool electronica that was coming out at the end of the 90s from so many other artists of the time. There are a total of 5 singles released from this album. I am not a big fan of any of them. I will make a mention of the fifth single from this album, If God Will Send His Angels. This song was included on the soundtrack for the movie City of Angels. This is a good movie. Some would consider it a chick flick. Either way it is a good movie if you are all out of movies to watch.




Urge Overkill – Saturation
This is the fourth album from Urge Overkill. It was released in 1993. This is another album from around when I was getting into music. This album was a marked attempt at trying to make a hit album. This was attempted because the group had just signed to Geffen Records. It was a very good attempt in my opinion. That I am aware of there are only two singles from this album. The first is called Sister Havana. The second single is called Positive Bleeding. The album is a great album. It has a unique take on the classic rock sound with that great 90s flair. I can’t remember sitting around and listening to this album but I do remember the album well enough to sing along. It was defiantly a summer time album for me. It has a hot sticky summer time feel.

That is all for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment