Monday, March 14, 2011

Vol. 2, Episode 9

Here is my 1974 play list:




Artist

The Beach Boys

Billy Joel

Chicago

David Bowie

Kool & The Gang

Ohio Players

Queen

Steely Dan

Stevie Wonder

Supertramp



Album

Endless Summer

Streetlife Serenade

VII

Diamond Dogs

Light Of Worlds

Fire

Greatest Hits

Pretzel Logic

Definitive Collection

Crime Of The Century



Song

Fun, Fun, Fun

The Entertainer

Hanky Panky

Rebel Rebel

Summer Madness

Fire

Killer Queen

Rikki Don't Lose That Number

Boogie On Reggae Woman

Bloody Well Right




Led Zeppelin – III
I am happy to say that I found a copy of this album this weekend. This completes my collection of their music for me. The copy that I found looked spotless when I found it. The outer sleeve is a little beat up but I care about the music more than the quality of the package. The first side is crystal clear. The second side has a few pops and scuffs that are not visible with the naked eye. You can defiantly hear them though. The sleeve wheel is in good condition too. That was one thing that I was concerned about. It is a unique cover with a riveted wheel that has graphics printed on it. There are die cut holes on the cover so you can see the graphics on the wheel through the holes. Very cool cover that I like a lot. I am not sure if this cover is on the CD or if it is just a static picture. The album itself is very acoustic/country/blue grass in sound. There is really only one song that I recognize from my youth on this album. That song is Immigrant Song, the first song on the album. I don’t have a specific memory tied to this song or this album but I do remember hearing this song on the classic rock station that my dad listened to. I also recognized the opening to the song Tangerine as it is used on one of the openings to the Sound Opinions pod cast.

David Bowie – Hunky Dory
Again, I found a copy of this album last weekend. I love most of Bowie’s earlier works from the 70s to the mid 80. I am only missing a few albums from this time period right now. This album is a little bit of the lighter side of Bowie, musically speaking. It is nice and relaxing. There is still driving music on this album but it is not the hard rock or the synth rock that most people know from him. The opening track, Changes, is what carried this album through sales and the reason that I wanted this album in the first place. The song talks about the changes that an artist goes through as he or she becomes more popular. We have seen this with artists like Bowie, Madana and more recently Lady Gaga too. I think that this song was picked up for a commercial in the late 80s or earliy90s and this is where the song really had an impression on me. The other single off the album is Life On Mars? It is not a song that I remember hearing as a kid. I can only assume that it was not as big of a hit for that reason. The copy that I picked up is a repressing from 72, the album was released in 70. This record is really flimsy and I only want to listen to it the one time that I record it. It is a very light weight record. I think that the outer sleeve is heavier than the record. My mother liked David Bowie but not enough to buy an album from him. He, Bowie, has female sensibility and this is why my mother liked him. I got to hear his music as a boy because of this and thought his music was cool.

Fleetwood Mac – Fleetwood Mac S/T
This is the album that was released before Rumours. Rumours had more popularity but this self titled album has stronger singles on it in my opinion. I found this one used, of course, at a Half Priced Books nearby. The cover and the record are in great shape. I remember hearing Rhiannon, and Over My Head on the radio as a kid. I think this was during the time when soft rock was really hitting the scene. As a kid this music made me feel sick. Not that I was going to actually physically vomit but more like when a person gets to much sun in one day. I can remember my mom driving up to my aunt’s place an hour away with this music on. There was nothing to do for the hour drive as I was not into reading and there were not any hand held video game consoles yet. All that you could do was sleep in the car with the sun pounding down at you through the car windows. There was no air conditioning in mom’s cars ever. There was in the “family” cars in the future though. Later, in the early to mid 90s the group called The Smashing Pumpkins did a cover of the song Landslide. I knew that it was a cover but I couldn’t remember what the bands name was that did the original. I had to find out who it was before I was bested by one of my school mates. At least that was how I thought while I was in high school. I was always after the newest music and the latest info on said music. It gave me pride to know the small details about music that I liked. If I did not like an artist I could ignore it and count it as something I did not care about. I think that it kind of pissed people off that I could just write off some band that I did not care about though. Anyway, once I found out that Fleetwood Mac did the original version of Landslide I thought that I would like to own that album some day. I did not know that someday was about 15 plus years away though. But I have it now and am happy to have the album too.

Elvis Costello – This Year’s Model
I am not a real big fan of Elvis Costello’s music but he has made some great singles in his career as a musician. The best singles that he has put out, in my opinion, are from his first three albums. This album is his second release. This album is his first with The Attractions although it is not labeled as such. The first single off the album is Pump It Up. It is a great song that I remember hearing on the radio. It has punk roots in my opinion. It was released in 1978 so this would seem to be expected for the time. The other single that was released from this album was actually only included on the US release of the album. The song is called Radio Radio. The song is really a protest song about the commercialization of radio brodcasts and the power wielded by the recording studios and radio companies who decided what songs were heard over the airwaves, especially the more politically explicit side of punk rock. (as read on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Radio)

David Bowie – The Man Who Sold The World
I picked this one up last weekend as well. All three, The Man Who Sold The World, Hunky Dory and the Led Zeppelin album were from the same person. At least they all had the same hand writing and name on them (Lyn). This person took good care of all three albums. This album, as with the other Bowie album, is very light weight and flimsy. There are a few singles off this album but I don’t recognize either of them. This doesn’t mean the album isn’t good, far from it. His early brilliance from Space Oddity spills over on to this album as well. This is also a good lead into Ziggy Stardust even though Hunky Dory is the following album. For me, this is a good album it is lacking in the grooves that make you want to get up and dance though. There is also the title track that has been covered by the likes of Nirvana, most well known for the version that was recorded for the MTV unplugged session. This cover is on par with the original studio version in my opinion.

That is all I have for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment