Monday, November 5, 2012

Vol. 3 Episode 46



Here is a bonus post or a late Halloween post, enjoy.

I keep forgetting to bring up the fact that my local radio station, 89.3 The Current, has put out a new Live Current album, 89.3 The Current: Live Current Vol. 8. They pressed this one in vinyl and on CD. I was told by some of the DJs that the last time a Live Current volume was pressed, Vol. 5, that it did not sell very well and that they would probably not do a vinyl release again. I was very surprised to find that this one was on vinyl because of what I was told. Needless to say, I took advantage of the offer right away. The station not only offered the album in both of these formats but also offered it as a box set. The box set comes with both the CD and the Vinyl along with a poster of the cover art. I did order a copy of the box set but have not recieved it yet. I read that the vinyl pressing is delayed on the web site, just like the Vol. 5 edition was. That is OK to me as this is such a limited run. I just hope to get it before Christmas.

There is going to be a new Minnesota Beatle Project album for sale soon. This one is the fourth volume of the series. It will be released on December 4, 2012. You can get it through Target or your local record store. The cover art comes from mixed-media artist Gregory Euclide, who landed on many music lovers' radars back in 2010 when he created the cover art for Bon Iver's first album Bon Iver. The proceeds go to local area schools to fund their music programs. All but one contributor are from Minnesota. DeVotchKa are the only band not from Minnesota contributing to this album. You can see the track listing and artists along with a graphic of the cover here.

XL records has put up a release date for the new Thom Yorke album, going by the band name Atoms For Peace now. The album will be called AMOK and it will be released on January 28, 2013. There is no a preorder up yet but I will keep you posted.

The next Man or Astro-Man? single, Analog Series Vol. 2, will start shipping this week. I am very excited to get my hot little hands on that when it arrives! Here is a graphic of what Chunklet posted for the vinyl colors.













On with the show…

This is the tenth album from Prince. It was released in 1988. This album was released as a substitute album when The Black Album was suddenly canceled. The two albums, Black and Lovesexy, are completely opposite but fans consider them companion pieces. I do not have The Black Album at present to say whether I think this is true or not. The album was recorded at Prince's new Paisley Park Records, and most of the album is a solo effort from Prince. Interesting fact about the initial release of the CD version of this is that it was released as one track with no gaps in between the tracks.

There were three singles released from this album. The first single is called Alphabet St. Initially written as an acoustic blues song, the song's final version includes a rap by Cat Glover and is full of samples, and generally repeats themes from the song Lovesexy. The song is meant to stand in contrast to the gospel of the track I Know which plays off of the Christian ethics describing Prince's personal belief in Christian concepts of Heaven, Hell, the Devil, and God. The song is classic Prince and The NPG fair before The NPG was even named. It is a good fun song but may not be fore the younger crowd with all of the sexual references. I was in middle school when this was on the radio and it did not really effect me but I was into it for the music not the words.

On a side note about this song, 1990s hip-hop group Arrested Development sampled a word from Alphabet St. for their breakout song Tennessee in 1992. The group were sued for their unauthorized use of the word "Tennessee" and had to pay Prince $100,000. It just shows that samples cost money if you did not create them originally.

The second single released from this album is called Glam Slam. The title originates from the sexual quote "Wham, bam, thank you, ma'am". The song has sexual overtones with a spiritual undertone and fits the Lovesexy theme of integrating God and sex. The song is complex musically, recalling "Life Can Be So Nice" from Parade. It ends with a chorus of strings. The song is kind of strange in that it is very slow and mellow in the vocals but has a strong beat behind them. It works but still feels weird at the same time when I listen to it.

In late 1989, Prince opened a nightclub in Minneapolis named after the song and partially decorated with paintings by Brian Canfield Mitchell. After eight years of frustration vis-a-vis its more established rival First Avenue, he sold it to new owner, Gilbert Davison, former Prince Manager and President of Paisley Park, who renamed it The Quest. The club became one of the premier nightspots in the Twin Cities, rivaling First Avenue as a live music venue, before closing in 2006 due to a fire in the club. The building was reconfigured following the closure and reopened as the nightclub Epic.

The last single released from this album is called I Wish U Heaven. It is another slow song from the album. It is a happy song with Christian overtones. It is a happy track wishing the best for the people. It is not necessarily a close relative or significant other but every one since the lyrics are basically just the title of the son sung over and over. 

Side note: This is prince so there are no videos for the singles on line anywhere.

It is an interesting album and deserves a fair listen.

This is the first full length album from Pretty Poison. It was released in 1988. The group consisted of Jade Starling and Whey Cooler. Over the summer I made a trip to my local record store and searched for some records that were released in the late 80s. I had a specific set written down. I found about half of them. This album was one of them. I only remember hearing one of the three singles released from this album on the radio and I got this LP for that one song. It cost me a mere three bucks. I looked at it as buying the single for a buck and getting the rest of the album for two bucks. It is still cheaper than paying five bucks for a cheap MP3 album on Amazon and I get a physical product too.

There were three singles released from this album. The first single was the title track, Catch Me I’m Falling. It was included on the soundtrack to the film Hiding Out (1987), which starred Jon Cryer, The song was later released with this album. In 2009, VH1 ranked Catch Me (I'm Falling) number 47 on its program 100 Greatest One-Hit Wonders of The '80s. It is truly a great song and makes use of as much of the current music technology as possible. For me this was out on the radio stations when I was feeling like I was in a rut musically. Everything sounded the same and I did not know where to go to find new music. I was stuck on the top 40 radio station and did not know where else to look. This was one of the lights in music simply because it was pop but still interesting because of the use of samples, electronic drums and cool sounds in general.

The second single released from this album is called Nighttime. This was actually a remix of the 1984 version of the song. The song references Whodini’s 1984 song Freaks Come Out at Night. I don’t remember hearing this song ever. It is a cool song but not as good as the first single. It is all electronic sounds through the song. I really like the sound of the bass in this song.

The last single from this album is called When I Look intoYour Eyes. The song did well in the dance charts but not in the top 40 charts. This is probably why I had never heard this one either. I don’t see much special about this track as everything is synth including the horn pops. It just comes off as 80s plastic. Her vocals are great though. It is probably the only thing authentic in the track.

I am happy that I have the album but for the casual listener the title track is the only thing needed off this album.

This is the first album form C+C Music Factory. It was released in1990. The album was released during the rise of house music to commercial acceptance throughout Europe and North America. The group was following on the success of contemporaries Black Box and Technotronic. The album was a whirl wind success and took the world by surprise. I remember the singles from this album being played on the radio during the Sunday morning Top 40 shows during the summer months. My family, mom and dad included, loved the singles from this album, along with the singles from both Black Box and Technotronic.

There were three singles released from this album. The first of which was Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now). The rap was performed by Freedom Williams and the vocal "Everybody Dance Now" by disco/house music artist Martha Wash. The official music video features Zelma Davis lip-synching to the actual Martha Wash vocal parts. Wash, perturbed by the fact that her image had been labeled "unmarketable" due to her weight, successfully sued to receive proper credit (and royalties). Wash's courtroom efforts spurred legislation making vocal credits mandatory on CDs and music videos. What really mattered to me was the music. The video in this case was very boring which made the music stand out even more. I particularly liked the line, “It’s your world and I’m just a squirrel, trying to get a nut to move your but to the dance floor.” It was cute and wasn’t offensive in the least. It is a clean song that has a great beat. That was all I needed at the time.

Here We Go (Let’s Rock & Roll) is the second single released from this album. This song has the same style as the previous single with the repetitive drums. This song just didn’t seem as strong as the first single though. It is a good song but it lacked something that the first single had. It still has the strong female vocals and the male rapping but was not as good to me for some reason.

The third single released from this album is called ThingsThat Make You Go Hmmm… The single features Freedom Williams and he is also seen in the song's music video. The song was inspired by a running gag on The Arsenio Hall Show, whereby Arsenio, while on an alleged long drive, ponders certain thoughts and refers to them as "things that make you go hmmm....".

There are a few stories that happen in this song. The first tells of a guys girlfriend’s best friend who is sent over to try to seduce him. He doesn’t fall for it but she keeps pushing. Finally the girlfriend walks in and finds that her friend is serious about getting him in the sack.

The next story is about a guys friend who ends up crashing at his house for a period. The guys wife ends up having a kid that looks like his friend instead of him.

The third story is about the guy as a kid in high school. He was involved sexually with her and he assumed that he was her first. He asked her if this was true, she had a look that said yes but her response was, “Damn, why you guys always ask me that?”

The last story was from the opposite perspective. A woman who loved her man but her man seemed to love not only her but other women that he did not talk about. There were clues to this as well, phone calls in the middle of the night and mysterious underwear showing up.

I also remember hearing a fourth song from this album a lot. That song is called Just A Touch Of Love (Everyday). I don’t remember if my sister had this on cassette or if I heard it on the radio/MTV but I really liked the synth/organ part that was on this track with the staccato style that it has. It is a beautiful song with wonderful female vocals.
This is a great album and should be heard at least once even if it is just to learn about music history.

This is the fourth album from Heavenly. It was released in 1994.

Entertainment Weekly said that the music, "adds spice with two harmonizing female vocalists sweetly delivering dry, sarcastic lyrics about things like trying to get a lover to leave so you can wake up alone.”
From Allmusic said that the album was, "...a cleanly produced sequence of bouncy, guitar-based pop songs — and fans of the band know just how good they are at writing bouncy pop songs. The only problem with the album is that it's so painfully short."
There doesn’t appear to be an official single released from this album. The album as a whole is exceptional with its tongue in cheek approach to lyrics and music. This is one of my favorites from the 90s indie music. This is an album that I have come to poses because of the Heavenly/Bis split 7” that I got over the summer. I am still waiting to get the first two albums from this group. I love these last two, this one and Operation Heavenly, so much that I am very excited to get the other two along with any other singles that they have put out.

I think that the lead track from the album would have made a great single if it wasn’t already. It is called Me And My Madness. It is about a person with schizophrenia from what I can tell. It is a light hearted song that is easy to see where the madness peeks in with the song. It is my favorite from the album.

That's all I have for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment